Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hey! It's a thread about The Purge.

Ares_Zeusson

I put this here rather than in movies because I don't want this to be about the films but rather a general discussion about the whole concept of a Purge.

My main motive for making this it just to hear what you would do on purge night but I encourage you to discuss human nature & stuff but first "hypothetically speaking" what would you do in.....

A. Urban Purging

B. Suburban Purging

C. Small town Purging

D. Rural Purging

In all situations I would stay inside in fortress with everyone I care about.

• Like 3

In an urban setting I'd just get the heck outta dodge before the fireworks start.

In a suburban setting I'd just do a neighborhood watch type private security thing & try to keep the baddies from breaking into homes of people who want no part in it.

In a small town setting I'd just barricade my home & hope no one thinks to use molotov cocktails & smoke me out.

In a rural setting I'm going camping for the night.

Edited by Kid_Marx
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Sometimes the best defense is a good offense. Get out there. Be proactive.

I'd love to hear from someone who'll openly admit they'd go on a rampage & indiscriminately kill any & everything that moves.

Come to think of it if I were in a city I probably would rampage in the streets but B&E is a huge no no. If your kicking in doors & looting your a jerk & just the person I was looking for.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Kid_Marx said:

I'd love to hear from someone who'll openly admit they'd go on a rampage & indiscriminately kill any & everything that moves.

Come to think of it if I were in a city I probably would rampage in the streets but B&E is a huge no no. If your kicking in doors & looting your a jerk & just the person I was looking for.

I think that most Americans, especially below the age of 40, would be stunned into paralysis if an event occurred that caused society to break down.  I wouldn't seek to harm anyone but I'd make my lines very clear and communicate the deadly nature of the response strangers would get if they trespassed.  A WROL situation that lasted a year would lead to some serious culling of the population.  Frankly, I'm not sure it would be worth trying to survive at that price.  Even those who were alive after order returned would never be the same again.  My wife and I stockpiled a little food and put in a hand pump for water but short of killing a raider that tried to take by force, we decided we'd rather go out by sharing and helping until our resources were spent.  Clinging to life in a way that causes one to lose their basic humanity is not a desirable or honorable way to approach such a situation.  

We live in a semi-rural area but could expect tens of thousands of inner-city folks to find their way to our doorstep within a week or two.  Those who came in a spirit of need and respect would be treated as well as we could manage.  Those who came in blazing and attempting to TAKE would be mercilessly snuffed out.  The common denominator in any of those scenarios isn't the amount of food, medicine, fuel or weapons one has.  Everything would depend on having a tight-knit community of neighbors that you could trust to watch your back and do the right thing.  I pray that my family is spared such a horror.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, and then said:

I think that most Americans, especially below the age of 40, would be stunned into paralysis if an event occurred that caused society to break down.  I wouldn't seek to harm anyone but I'd make my lines very clear and communicate the deadly nature of the response strangers would get if they trespassed.  A WROL situation that lasted a year would lead to some serious culling of the population.  Frankly, I'm not sure it would be worth trying to survive at that price.  Even those who were alive after order returned would never be the same again.  My wife and I stockpiled a little food and put in a hand pump for water but short of killing a raider that tried to take by force, we decided we'd rather go out by sharing and helping until our resources were spent.  Clinging to life in a way that causes one to lose their basic humanity is not a desirable or honorable way to approach such a situation.  

We live in a semi-rural area but could expect tens of thousands of inner-city folks to find their way to our doorstep within a week or two.  Those who came in a spirit of need and respect would be treated as well as we could manage.  Those who came in blazing and attempting to TAKE would be mercilessly snuffed out.  The common denominator in any of those scenarios isn't the amount of food, medicine, fuel or weapons one has.  Everything would depend on having a tight-knit community of neighbors that you could trust to watch your back and do the right thing.  I pray that my family is spared such a horror.

Good man! I like you but the purge is an annual 12 hour event not a year long or were you just saying "if" that were the case?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kid_Marx said:

Good man! I like you but the purge is an annual 12 hour event not a year long or were you just saying "if" that were the case?

and then could have a point.  Could you really end a purge when the 12 hour buzzer goes off?

• Like 3

Just now, Kid_Marx said:

I'm not familiar with the rules of that concept.  Was it a movie or book?  I was speaking of a very likely future of a country that finds itself "Without Rule Of Law.  Survival of the fittest and most violent.  We've set ourselves up for a mighty fall someday.  The concept of the "Purge" sounds a lot like the plot of a Stephen King (Richard Bachman) book called "THE LONG WALK".  If you haven't read it, I recommend it HIGHLY.

1 minute ago, Tatetopa said:

and then could have a point.  Could you really end a purge when the 12 hour buzzer goes off?

i don't think human passions, especially when they're fueled by revenge, could be put back in a box so easily.  It's why I dread a potential shooting war within this nation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Good question. I don't think it would work as a deterrent for crime all year long. Killers & rapists are killers & rapists all year long & they're the ones who would likely come out on top at the end of the night & just keep doing it despite the buzzer.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, and then said:

I'm not familiar with the rules of that concept.  Was it a movie or book?  I was speaking of a very likely future of a country that finds itself "Without Rule Of Law.  Survival of the fittest and most violent.  We've set ourselves up for a mighty fall someday.  The concept of the "Purge" sounds a lot like the plot of a Stephen King (Richard Bachman) book called "THE LONG WALK".  If you haven't read it, I recommend it HIGHLY.

Yep it got 4 awful movies & a television series.

Yeah the whole worlds going into the crapper & quick. WW3 is going to be one hell of a mess & it's not too far off. Within the next decade tswhtf & we'll all get covered in it.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

what if someone set fire to flush you out?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Exactly! Thus my concern of the dreaded molotov cocktail.

• Like 1

I'd purge with fire, plus I'd have a hit list. Certain types people need to be removed from society. Race, religion, etc, doesn't matter. 

7 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

Fair point, I will need some escape exit of some kind.

My plan would be that there is a lot of armed people who all just want to survive the night so we team up at a location.

Hopefully we could take anyone out before reaching the building with fire lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kid_Marx said:

Yep it got 4 awful movies & a television series.

Yeah the whole worlds going into the crapper & quick. WW3 is going to be one hell of a mess & it's not too far off. Within the next decade tswhtf & we'll all get covered in it.

The movies were absolute poop, they took a interesting concept and ruined it lol

10 hours ago, Kid_Marx said:

Exactly! Thus my concern of the dreaded molotov cocktail.

What choice would you have to protect your family and home? Go on the offensive and shoot anyone that approach’s your home before they get you and yours. 

1 minute ago, Captain Risky said:

What choice would you have to protect your family and home? Go on the offensive and shoot anyone that approach’s your home before they get you and yours. 

Yep. I'd be posted up somewhere outside. Maybe in a fox hole with my bow. Go all Rambo on they're asses.

• Like 1

Just now, Kid_Marx said:

Yep. I'd be posted up somewhere outside. Maybe in a fox hole with my bow. Go all Rambo on they're asses.

Nice and silent. I like it. Then loot the body of anything useful and quietly and quickly hide it so his buddies waste extra time looking for him.

16 hours ago, Kid_Marx said:

I put this here rather than in movies because I don't want this to be about the films but rather a general discussion about the whole concept of a Purge.

My main motive for making this it just to hear what you would do on purge night but I encourage you to discuss human nature & stuff but first "hypothetically speaking" what would you do in.....

A. Urban Purging

B. Suburban Purging

C. Small town Purging

D. Rural Purging

I`m I bad to say I would go out purging?

It would be A + B because where I live they are too inter-mixed to separate them out. 

3 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Fair point, I will need some escape exit of some kind.

My plan would be that there is a lot of armed people who all just want to survive the night so we team up at a location.

Hopefully we could take anyone out before reaching the building with fire lol

Yeah man I thought of the same thing too. But having seen the movie The Purge it would seem that your neighbors might be just as a threat as strangers. Keep your head down brother and stay vigilant. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Captain Risky said:

Nice and silent. I like it. Then loot the body of anything useful and quietly and quickly hide it so his buddies waste extra time looking for him.

If the guy is at least 6'6 I'd put on his clothes & wear is face then "surprise mother lovers"!

3 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

I`m I bad to say I would go out purging?

It would be A + B because where I live they are too inter-mixed to separate them out. 

Nah just so long as you only target other participants. Don't go looking for terrified people trying to hide. Stick to killing killers.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kid_Marx said:

If the guy is at least 6'6 I'd put on his clothes & wear is face then "surprise mother lovers"!

Okay.