Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I need help

Courtney88

14 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Not the case at all. We have had many stories like this. 

Some people are not aware of how pipes can make weird sounds or how wood expands and contracts. If they believe in the paranornal, many do jump straight to that.

It is the classic case, no structural description of the property (likely because they do not know ).

Reletively new to a property ( 2 years is not long ) and have not got to know the sounds in the property as the seasons change. 

We have no description of this property, it is like saying "there is a knocking sound in my car when i drive it,  what it is? "  then sticking it in the paranornal section? 

Well here's hoping it is just normal sounds of a creaking house but I don't think that's always the case.

7 minutes ago, Kid_Marx said:

Well here's hoping it is just normal sounds of a creaking house but I don't think that's always the case.

Banging sounds are more than a creaking house. Hopefully for her sake and the sake of her family, herself or her husband will get the relevants checks. 

There is a few adults in the house, if they can not do it, then one of them should be able to call in a plumber or surveyor.

We do not even know if they are renting the property or bought it. Are they paying for the exterior windows or is it a landlord? All this info makes a difference. Surveys, past maintenance etc etc etc.

4 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Banging sounds are more than a creaking house. Hopefully for her sake and the sake of her family, herself or her husband will get the relevants checks. 

There is a few adults in the house, if they can not do it, then one of them should be able to call in a plumber or surveyor.

We do not even know if they are renting the property or bought it. Are they paying for the exterior windows or is it a landlord? All this info makes a difference. Surveys, past maintenance etc etc etc.

I meant for the banging to be included in "creaking house". I just this winter had a tree fall on my house & it didn't sound too dissimilar to the normal banging sounds the pipes make so who knows?

32 minutes ago, Kid_Marx said:

I meant for the banging to be included in "creaking house". I just this winter had a tree fall on my house & it didn't sound too dissimilar to the normal banging sounds the pipes make so who knows?

Oh dear,  tree! Jeeze, hope you are all ok.

I am not sure how a tree falling on your house can resemble pipes banging,  i would think a tree would make more of a crashing sound. 

The banging sounds from pipes could be coming from the basement where her son is, the sounds travel through the rooms where the pipes run, this is conmon knowledge, especially in the old prisons. Lol.

I live on a boat and we had a knocking in the pipes, we had to flush the system to see if we could find it, it turned out to be a pebble (do not know how it got there) but it was blocking the back boiler and we were getting all sorts of noises. 

There are numerous reasons why the pipes could bang, none involve ghosts and all need attention, 

@Courtney88, hope you read these and find your solution: 

When you flush your toilet, water runs through the pipes quickly. But as the toilet finishes filling up, it suddenly closes a valve, causing water the crash against it.

This creates noise and vibration, sometimes causing the pipe to bang against the wall (aka the water hammer).

https://www.pippinbrothers.com/blog/article/why-are-my-pipes-making-loud-banging-noises

Water pressure

High water pressure doesn’t just put your pipes at risk, but can also lead to appliance breakdowns. If water is pushed into dishwashers, washing machines and other domestic appliances at too high a pressure, it can wreak havoc on their internal components. Furthermore, it can lead to annoying banging pipes!

https://www.247homerescue.co.uk/my-pipes-are-making-noises/

Note the problem with your jets in the bath tub could very well be because of the water pressure.

1 hour ago, Kid_Marx said:

I just have it in my head that people would have enough sense to have cleared those possibilities before resorting to posting on a somewhat "paranormal" forum.

Your newer here, so i  understand your thinking. Fact is though, there are a huge amount of folks jump to 'spooks and such' at the drop of a hat or bang on a wall. I never realized how many people believe the whole worlds in a state of constant haunting till i started reading here. There are many, many sane and rational folks in these forums but the numbers of persons that believe every events paranormal is astounding.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Courtney88 said:

I moved into my home 2 years ago. I’ve noticed a knocking on two outside windows since I’ve lived here. In October of this year, I heard my adult son downstairs banging around, stomping up and down my basement stairs and slurring like he’d been drinking.

I would make sure there is no external basement access. If so, add locks and security measures.

I texted him and asked him to stop and was met with the reply that he wasn’t in the house. My husband and infant daughter were both sleeping and were the only other people in the house. Since then, the jets in my bathtub have turned on with no one near them,

Might be something faulty in the bathtub. Would be worth getting it checked out.

I’ve heard dragging noises against the bedroom interior walls

Rodents? Maybe. Imagination, possibly. 

and seen footsteps on freshly mopped floors.

If someone has walked barefoot on the floor this can leave oil behind which may result in said footprints.

The latest is a growling noise that comes from the corner of my bedroom (like a low dog growl). I occasionally hear huge thumps that sound like they’re coming from the attic,

I think it would be worth it to get a pest guy out to look around.

they are so loud the house shakes. I’m having the exterior windows replaced because I can not stand the knocking while I’m changing my daughter at night.

Any trees near the windows? Maybe loose floor boards? How old is this house?

The bangs always happen when I walk into her room. I need help! I’ve saged. I followed the directions. I don’t know what else to do. I’m open to recommendations. 

Try to eliminate all possible mundane explanations before assuming anything paranormal. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Try to eliminate all possible mundane explanations before assuming anything paranormal

Add yours with mine and there are many posibilities. Paranormal is far from even maybe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Sorry, only the fantasy bit for you. The rest is for the op, have moved that bit,  but on that note you may wish to take some notes yourself.

If someone says they hear knocking sounds around their house, it is extremely dangerous to jump straight to paranornal and disgard the obvious. Pipes need checking and if you encourage someone to think it is a ghost then you should really be ashamed of yourself.

The op has a small child in the house and there are others, a professional needs to check it out first ALWAYS,

Saying that the op should be getting these looked at - .pipes, water, electrics, Floorboards. Get the whole lot checked out.

This is true. My grandmothers house used to knock LOUDLY from the basement at seemingly random times. She used to refer to it as her "little friend". After my uncle passed she swore it was him trying to say hello. It took years but the pipes in the walls down there did eventually burst and did thousands of dollars worth of damage. Once everything was repaired...no knocking. 

• Thanks 2

I have had my own share of the paranormal and got this tip here to get rid of any problem. If you strongly believe its something paranormal you can get rid if it  simply by playing the lesser banishing ritual of the pentagram based on your own beliefs.

Needless to say it did the trick. P.S this is not a satanic ritual :-)

Edited by Avalanche
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Robotic Jew said:

This is true. My grandmothers house used to knock LOUDLY from the basement at seemingly random times. She used to refer to it as her "little friend". After my uncle passed she swore it was him trying to say hello. It took years but the pipes in the walls down there did eventually burst and did thousands of dollars worth of damage. Once everything was repaired...no knocking. 

Sad but it does happen.

I find it a bit odd that in todays day and age where we have running water, electricity and brick houses, people actually do not link them to problems. Years ago when people did not understand i get, but today?.

If someone believes a ghost is in the pipes ( jeeze, can not even believe i am giving this ridiculousness a thought ) then why would it posibly be messing about with or in water pipes? 

Today we know or can google the workings and the problems which can arise, paranormal is just so far off it is a touch concerning these people are living in a modern day property. 

If today they think pipes and paranormal, it would be safer if they lived in a mud hut or cave.

5 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

If someone believes a ghost is in the pipes ( jeeze, can not even believe i am giving this ridiculousness a thought ) then why would it posibly be messing about with or in water pipes? 

Because water conducts electricity...and Ghosts consist of Negative Energy in a different dimension, consequently, the easiest way for them to manifest themselves in our reality is through ...a water pipe...Starting to make sense now right?   But...

....the 'older' the water pipe...the higher concentration of electrical energy because the pipe itself is conducting electricity...new pipes are plastic or copper...old pipes are galvanized steel...See?  

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, joc said:

Because water conducts electricity...and Ghosts consist of Negative Energy in a different dimension, consequently, the easiest way for them to manifest themselves in our reality is through ...a water pipe...Starting to make sense now right?   But...

....the 'older' the water pipe...the higher concentration of electrical energy because the pipe itself is conducting electricity...new pipes are plastic or copper...old pipes are galvanized steel...See?  

I gotta respectfully disagree. When have no proof ghost even exist, therefore we dont know what their made of or what dimension they may live in. Nor do we know if they manifest or in what form. Really all discussion along those lines is primarily hear say and old wives tales. Nothing factual to any of it. Just my thoughts....to each their own ideas but combined we do make the world go round.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jamesjr191 said:

I gotta respectfully disagree. When have no proof ghost even exist, therefore we dont know what their made of or what dimension they may live in. Nor do we know if they manifest or in what form. Really all discussion along those lines is primarily hear say and old wives tales. Nothing factual to any of it. Just my thoughts....to each their own ideas but combined we do make the world go round.

I was totally being off the cuff sarcastic.  I don't believe in ghosts.  

• Thanks 1

Ok. I have had ALL of the same rational thought processes about what’s going on and have not been able to find explanations. The window professionals who are now replacing the windows could not explain the knocking. There are no trees near the windows. I have my boilers checked and serviced EVERY winter. The noise I hear is not piping.  It’s a distinct scraping metal sound. I have the pest guys out every 3 months on a contract to spray for bugs and check for rodents. The only thing I have not had looked at is the tub. Mainly because it was a one time occasion and the holiday had us very busy. The foot prints were not bare feet. They were shoe prints and I’m totally ok with the fact that there could have been oil on someones shoes. I prefer to think that.  I am definitely not jumping to outlandish conclusions and assuming that every bump is a ghost. I want to be clear that I do not believe in paranormal activity. I’m an atheist. I’m just at a loss about what’s causing  a lot of this stuff. I should also add that I have no history of mental health issues and recently had an MRI with no tumors or brain disease. I have functioning carbon monoxide alarms. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, joc said:

I was totally being off the cuff sarcastic.  I don't believe in ghosts.  

Good job of sounding like an ardent believer, had me fooled.:D

Edited by jamesjr191
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Courtney88 said:

Ok. I have had ALL of the same rational thought processes about what’s going on and have not been able to find explanations. The window professionals who are now replacing the windows could not explain the knocking. There are no trees near the windows. I have my boilers checked and serviced EVERY winter. The noise I hear is not piping.  It’s a distinct scraping metal sound. I have the pest guys out every 3 months on a contract to spray for bugs and check for rodents. The only thing I have not had looked at is the tub. Mainly because it was a one time occasion and the holiday had us very busy. The foot prints were not bare feet. They were shoe prints and I’m totally ok with the fact that there could have been oil on someones shoes. I prefer to think that.  I am definitely not jumping to outlandish conclusions and assuming that every bump is a ghost. I want to be clear that I do not believe in paranormal activity. I’m an atheist. I’m just at a loss about what’s causing  a lot of this stuff. I should also add that I have no history of mental health issues and recently had an MRI with no tumors or brain disease. I have functioning carbon monoxide alarms. 

My answer is it's a product of your imagination. You've got the idea of a haunting ticking away in your subconscious.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Oh dear,  tree! Jeeze, hope you are all ok.

I am not sure how a tree falling on your house can resemble pipes banging,  i would think a tree would make more of a crashing sound. 

It was all rotted as hell & busted into about 10 different pieces when it hit the wall but I actually think the banging is the wood expanding rather than pipes.

Come winter none of my doors will shut right because the cold makes the whole house shift.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Kid_Marx said:

It was all rotted as hell & busted into about 10 different pieces when it hit the wall but I actually think the banging is the wood expanding rather than pipes.

Come winter none of my doors will shut right because the cold makes the whole house shift.

I did ask the op about wood, maybe they will be back to answer.

Depending on the moisture content in the house and if there is wood, then there could be movements. As you know. 

Wood tends to creek rather than banging to the extent the op is describing and the growling sounds, sound very much like pipes.

They have only been in the property for 2 years and we do not know if they are renting or bought it with a survey. 

15 hours ago, Courtney88 said:

I'm having the exterior windows replaced because I can not stand the knocking while I’m changing my daughter at night.

Changing the windows is not going to stop it if the pipes need looking at. You are hearing the noise inside the house. Could be coming from the basement, through the walls or in one specific area and travelling through the pipe works. Get them checked. 

What were you doing just prior to “hearing” your son? Were you asleep or awake? If you were sleeping you may have experienced a hypnopompic/hypnagogic hallucination.

• Like 1

We did buy the home and it passed inspection. It was built in the 70s but has been updated over the years. I do have all aspects of the home regularly maintained. The knocking on the windows is definitely distinctly that. I was thinking it was being caused by the cool and warm air mixing and causing a viberation between the storm windows and the actual window, though the window folks don’t think that’s happening. I’ll defiantly be having the plumbing looked at though I don’t think they can tell much with the pipes inside the walls without tearing out the drywall. For now I’m just trying to cope as best I can with the little sleep I’m able to get. We did just have solar panels installed and the solar guys triple checked the roof design inside the attic. The bangs started before the installation and have continued after. I’ll likely have the roof looked at again but my husband is probably going to get tired of dumping money into things when the repair people see nothing wrong with the existing build. 

Interesting interesting. I'm just posting to find this thread easier later 

Dear Courtney, 

Do not record it, do not ask it any questions like " why are you (x) Do not try to capture evp's or play games like Ouija. 

Do claim your space. Do tell it to go. This is a harder thing, but do not fear it, whatever happens in your home. Don't be bullied. Stay calm and assurtive. Do not give it xtra attention. I send you strength!

Much love.

I would get the pipes and other household things checked out.Growling could be from some animal  like a rat, racoon,etc. hiding in the wall.So get an exterminator.They can check that out. Even on the tv show Dead Files on Travel Channel with Amy Allen and Steve DiShavni, they had some cases were people were hearing things. Steve  called in  exterminators or other work men to check  out the  clients claims. They don't do this on the show very often. But when they do, the professionals almost never find a natural cause for those kind of noises. Do this first. If you or your husband are able, see if there is a local genealogy or historical society in the area.They can find out the previous owners and something about the land, like  maybe a minor skirmish, or battle etc.

see what you find out. Maybe you could also have  a local clergy member  whether catholic, protestant or even jewish do some sort of house blessing depending on your faith.Wouldn't know where to find a medium to also help.But maybe  there might be someone  who could help you find one in your area. Also, The Atlantic Pararnormal Society called TAPS who had the show Ghost Hunters, has a list of paranormal groups that people can turn to depending on your state. Also check with any native american tribes in the area if any. Maybe you could speak to them and tell them what the issue is, and can one of their shamans help get rid of it, or at least give you advice on where to go next or what steps you can take beside the sageing.

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/12/2018 at 6:53 AM, Imaginarynumber1 said:

I was just about to post this.
Video and audio recording is 100% guaranteed to stop any and all "paranormal" activity 100% of the time. 

No don't do that it will only make it worse as spirits only appear on camera as they want they know they are there.

• Like 1