Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man photographs UFO over Kangaroo Island

UM-Bot

26 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

If he had taken anymore pictures he should have shown them too. At an angle showing it was not a helicopter.

I do not think he is lying, he took a picture and in it was something he did not recognise, we get loads of posts on here where people do not know what they saw, that is what makes this forum so good, we have people who can give an answer, but we also have some who  offer nothing and all they do is try to say the logical explanations are wrong.

If you can give an explanation which makes any sense then please post it.

What makes you think that you can tell people what they saw, your "logical "explanation could also be wrong, the people involved have one major advantage over you, and that is, they were there and you wasn't .

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

It makes no difference to the fact, it is heading towards land and is a helicopter. 

Your only assuming it's heading towards land because of its position on a  photograph, it might have done a 180 and headed back out to sea, even you don't have all the info to back up your debunking.

3 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Jeeze! Has this "international" visitor been hiberbating for 80 years? 

Lol, it was that odd he did not even notice it until he looked at his pictures. 

Looks very much like a rescue helicoptor and with the light from the sun, all shapes can occur. It is heading towards land, so others would have seen it. 

Blurry helicopter is what I thought too.

1 hour ago, John n b said:

What makes you think that you can tell people what they saw, your "logical "explanation could also be wrong, the people involved have one major advantage over you, and that is, they were there and you wasn't .

Your only assuming it's heading towards land because of its position on a  photograph, it might have done a 180 and headed back out to sea, even you don't have all the info to back up your debunking.

Are you not understanding anything? We have done all this.

Now, what have you got to bring to the table? 

2 hours ago, Essan said:

I assume that's a cropped picture and therefore totally useless .....

But as it stands, speaking as a photographer, it looks to me exactly like a bird.   Though without seeing the original I wouldn't discount a helicopter.

Came here to say bird also. Confidence = 80%+

Edited by Calibeliever

42 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Now, what have you got to bring to the table? 

untill further information is obtained and a full identification of the object can be made, it will remain a UFO.

• Thanks 1

My initial thought was a helicopter (due to apparent wash in the water too).

There were also apparently four water bombing aircraft in operation on that day on Kangaroo Island due to a fire. More on the mainland too. Don’t have time to find more specific info on aircraft type in operation on that day, but we do have large water bombing rotary wing aircraft for that purpose.

https://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/fire-damages-property-north-of-adelaide/news-story/e344708fb71ec2415bb9f86d9d19ed7d

Photo was taken from the position below looking roughly North:

5C63A688-C477-4AFB-82EC-4B9386524EAB.jpeg

681BE25F-2072-4195-BF78-6E7162BD5DDD.jpeg

Edited by Timothy
Typo.

2 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

That's funny. :huh:   Hey, Y'all ever notice this thing has a flat bottom? Ya, look at the shadow underneath. ka-flat.  It looks like a big ass, squashed down tea kettle in the sky.

I just love UFO's

With a photo like this, it’s more about how the camera captures and processes the image rather than the actual image produced.

If he were to have zoomed and focused on the object, it would be a much different photo.

Most likely a helicopter.

https://www.theislanderonline.com.au/story/5808744/ufo-sighting-at-cape-willoughby-lighthouse-kangaroo-island/

64AC20B5-9AEA-4D3F-8362-4DA858C5E3A2.jpeg

Edited by Timothy
Formatting.

3 minutes ago, Timothy said:

With a photo like this, it’s more about how the camera captures and processes the image rather than the actual image produced.

If he were to have zoomed and focused on the object, it would be a much different photo.

Most likely a helicopter.

https://www.theislanderonline.com.au/story/5808744/ufo-sighting-at-cape-willoughby-lighthouse-kangaroo-island/

64AC20B5-9AEA-4D3F-8362-4DA858C5E3A2.jpeg

Well, Timothy, I just can't make out much in that pic. Can you get one that is closer up and more clear?

12 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Well, Timothy, I just can't make out much in that pic. Can you get one that is closer up and more clear?

Haha, I see what you did there. 

It would be great to have the original image with the EXIF data. 

I only (maybe) found his old Facebook profile and old workplace, but don’t hold high hopes if I were to try to contact him.  

Edit: Maybe request it through the person who wrote that article, if they uploaded the image then it may have been compressed, he might have a less lossy copy: stan.gorton@fairfaxmedia.com.au

Edited by Timothy
Edit.

6 hours ago, John n b said:

So now your saying that he made up the story of seeing the object out of the corner of his eye just to satisfy bugs, maybe he went the whole hog to invent a UFO story on that day, he could have called the coastguard himself and while the helicopter circled  around looking for a phantom person to rescue he was happily clicking away with his camera untill he got the result he wanted, a helicopter at just the right angle with the sun casting shadows in a certain way and BINGO, another dubious UFO for the gullible believers.

The Coastguard?

12 hours ago, seanjo said:

Nice picture of Newcastle...;)

Spot on!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

Now if it was a kangaroo flying over UFO Island then I would be impressed 

Flying Kangaroos are reasonably common in these parts 

862,647-546903ffd3c84795add548bd767f2254

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Calibeliever said:

Came here to say bird also. Confidence = 80%+

I like the way you describe one's opinion, a CONFIDENCE factor, not an absolute. Bravotisimo

I could almost jump onto the helicopter theory wagon but I've never seen a grey helicopter.

Someone please show me a grey helicopter.

Oops never mind after googleing grey helicopter they're actually quite common it seems.

Edited by Kid_Marx

I *have* to rule  out "helicopter". Too many things missing.

We see: No landing skids (or wheels), no tail boom with rear rotor. (blur of main rotor is not visible either)

Can't be a chopper. Until otherwise defined, I see it as an Unidentified Flying Object

Funny how things change thread-to-thread. In the Houston cigar-shaped object in the sky thread, everyone was all over "reflection" (why, I don't know). Yet nobody in here is suggesting such a thing. And nobody is suggesting Hercules Beetle, either. Oy!