Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Viruses originate in space clouds

Nnicolette

https://www.livescience.com/61515-astrovirology-viruses-at-large.html

Here is some interesting info that answers why this form of life hasnt been found elsewhere: its never been looked for before. But from this article it sounds like quite basic, alien and i come back to saying probably evenly distributed in the universe. Also characterized as "spores" lying dormant until entering a host and altering dna. People really need to take a look at what is floating around up there and get a move on with an attempt to see if they are found higher up than the hurdles they are causing for the space station.

34 minutes ago, joc said:

I haven't been to any other planets...that I know of...

Well based on observation you have seen one planet correct? And how many species on it? Im missimg the part that would lead you to assume billions of other planets dont have life based on the 1:1 observation.

"In 1918, the world was in the grip of one of the deadliest epidemics of all time. Called Spanish flu, this disease infected one-third of the Earth’s population and claimed roughly 20 million lives. It was a uniquely deadly strain of a common virus, and English astronomer Sir Fred Hoyle had a theory as to why.

Comets, he thought, deposited frozen alien viruses into the atmosphere. They were then blasted down to the Earth’s surface by energy generated by sunspot activity. This activity peaks every 11 years, pushing more of the tiny invaders to ground level.

Convincingly, this 11-year cycle was shared by all global flu outbreaks for over 250 years, meaning that the Spanish flu disaster may have been Earth’s first large-scale alien invasion."

So somebody else already noticed.

4 hours ago, Grey Area said:

Well technically we are all derived from interstellar dust.  Take it back far enough, the Earth, the Moon, the Sun, the whole Solar System was formed from the collapse of interstellar dust and this includes all life on Earth.

However, as I understand it, Bacteria and Viruses need to have evolved with life on earth for it to be compatible with our own biology.  A virus that formed in isolation of the Earth would not be able to affect us.

Unless it was manufactured by aliens specifically to affect us.

2 hours ago, Grey Area said:

Yes I did, my statement still stands, unless I missed something?

Yes. They dont need to be compatible with our biology. In fact some of them have rudimentary bits of single strand dna completely alien to ours. The most basic bits considered to be similar to the first life before dna developed. And not all do affect us. Just some. They don't need any kind of compatibility to affect us but i'd suspect thats why some and not all alter your dna.

That last part though I won't even speculate on too many what ifs with no basis.

24 minutes ago, NicoletteS said:

Yes. They dont need to be compatible with our biology. In fact some of them have rudimentary bits of single strand dna completely alien to ours. The most basic bits considered to be similar to the first life before dna developed. And not all do affect us. Just some. They don't need any kind of compatibility to affect us but i'd suspect thats why some and not all alter your dna.

That last part though I won't even speculate on too many what ifs with no basis.

Read this, admittedly I am not a biologist so I could be wrong but...

The chance that extraterrestrial bacteria would be deadly to humans is zero. Not just very, very small. Zero.

Pathogenesis requires intimacy. This intimacy is attained through millions of years of co-evolution. The need for intimacy is apparent when you look at how bacteria and viruses cause infections and disease.

Read more Here

Viruses need living tissue to infect.  So, their evolution likely takes place on earth and perhaps on other planets with life.  However, some viruses may be capable of being carried from one world to another in a manner that you describe.  Perhaps, some viruses came from outer space and over time evolved to affect earthly life.  

I believe that extraterrestrials may use viruses and bacteria in order to alter evolution though.  For instance, there is strong evidence that aliens created the bubonic plague in order to alter evolution.  There were reports of entities spraying something on the crops during the black death in medevial Europe.  Most likely these were extraterrestrials spraying the plague in order to alter evolution. 

Edited by BuddingPsychic1111

3 hours ago, NicoletteS said:

Well based on observation you have seen one planet correct? And how many species on it? Im missimg the part that would lead you to assume billions of other planets dont have life based on the 1:1 observation.

A.  I was being funny...as in ...joking...and...

6 hours ago, joc said:

Maybe Viruses...are...Aliens...on a Universal Quest to find Hosts....maybe that is why we aren't finding any other life out there...maybe The Alien Viruses eventually kill off the life on a planet and then just move on to the next....

B.  What part of that makes you assume I believe that we are the only life in the universe?  We haven't found another planet that we can say...ah, look, here is a planet that has life...have we?

C.  There are literally Trillions of Galaxies, each containing billions of star,  So...you saying there are billions of planets is like saying, The vast majority of galaxies do not have any planets.  If there are trillions, with a capital T, of Galaxies...then the number of planets would be trillions upon trillions of planets.  Which would make the idea of zero life except on Earth totally ridiculous.

D.  Don't make me whip kick you in the face....just when I was starting to like you!B)

Edited by joc

1 hour ago, Grey Area said:

Read this, admittedly I am not a biologist so I could be wrong but...

Read more Here

Yes and the andromeda strain never happened...

Also you are telling me they couldn't harm us but if bacteria is literally attacking, coating and corroding the space station i just dont think its impossible it could affect living matter.

Edited by Nnicolette

21 minutes ago, joc said:

A.  I was being funny...as in ...joking...and...

B.  What part of that makes you assume I believe that we are the only life in the universe?  We haven't found another planet that we can say...ah, look, here is a planet that has life...have we?

C.  There are literally Trillions of Galaxies, each containing billions of star,  So...you saying there are billions of planets is like saying, The vast majority of galaxies do not have any planets.  If there are trillions, with a capital T, of Galaxies...then the number of planets would be trillions upon trillions of planets.  Which would make the idea of zero life except on Earth totally ridiculous.

D.  Don't make me whip kick you in the face....just when I was starting to like you!B)

I guess it was the part about we arent finding it out there. It made me think you thought it wasnt there or that we have looked yet. I wasnt being exact about how many planets there are because i didnt want to write trillions upon trillions out but now youve gone and made me do it.

Also if you want to kick me youll have to find me first.

Edited by Nnicolette

6 hours ago, Nnicolette said:

https://wonderopolis.org/wonder/can-germs-live-in-outer-space  if you might be wondering. So not only do they survive, they thrive there. Whats that tell you?

From the article:

"Scientists speculate that bacteriacome out of hiding once in outer space. In a sterile environment without competing microorganisms around, they multiply and thrive. Instead of killing them, cosmic radiation may also help them to mutate and aggressively grow faster than they normally could on Earth."

are those scientists baffled again? Someone should tell them its because its thier natural habitat.

Umm.... Nic, bacteria and Viruses are two totally different things.

1 hour ago, BuddingPsychic1111 said:

Viruses need living tissue to infect.  So, their evolution likely takes place on earth and perhaps on other planets with life.  However, some viruses may be capable of being carried from one world to another in a manner that you describe.  Perhaps, some viruses came from outer space and over time evolved to affect earthly life.  

I believe that extraterrestrials may use viruses and bacteria in order to alter evolution though.  For instance, there is strong evidence that aliens created the bubonic plague in order to alter evolution.  There were reports of entities spraying something on the crops during the black death in medevial Europe.  Most likely these were extraterrestrials spraying the plague in order to alter evolution. 

Not true. Virus are dormant until they enter a host. They travel airborne in tiny moisture droplets. The colder the environment, the longer they survive outside the body. They are actually ideally suited for space and surviving in moisture clouds it seems.

9 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Umm.... Nic, bacteria and Viruses are two totally different things.

Im aware but did you see the part about nobody has looked for viruses up there yet? The closest thing we have to compare is what the bacteria is doing up there.

That is an interesting and scary virus. So maybe i skipped over but its not in question whether or not viruses are in the sky and survive outside of people. here is more good info https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/13/science/virosphere-evolution.html

They are constantly raining down. I just think that there may be interstellar clouds that keep feeding us new pandemics and driving evolution with tjier dna alterations.

18 minutes ago, Timothy said:

I think that was pretty dead on. Thanks for the info i didnt know about bacteriophages but its probably exactly what would be up there considering it lives off bacteria. It is located everywhere that bacteria exists which would mean it is up there on the outaide of the spacestation if it is crawling with bacteria.

1 hour ago, NicoletteS said:

Also you are telling me they couldn't harm us but if bacteria is literally attacking, coating and corroding the space station i just dont think its impossible it could affect living matter.

How is bacteria attacking and corroding the ISS?  Yes bacteria has been detected, yes it has been theorised that it did not come from Earth, but it has been deemed harmless.  Where are you getting this from?

And yes, as pointed out, bacteria and viruses are two separate things.  If you read and understood the link I posted you would understand why viruses that have not developed terrestrially would not affect us.

It has been suggested recently that the search for ET life should start with looking for micro biology, and that is a good idea in my opinion, but that does not mean that if they found a virus on a comet that is where Spanish flu originated.

2 hours ago, NicoletteS said:

I guess it was the part about we arent finding it out there. It made me think you thought it wasnt there or that we have looked yet. I wasnt being exact about how many planets there are because i didnt want to write trillions upon trillions out but now youve gone and made me do it.

Also if you want to kick me youll have to find me first.

Oh no sweetheart...do not underestimate my powers of kick-dom....I can kick you from right here...but why would I?  I reserve that for only those who deserve it...and you don't.B)

But, since we are talking about galaxies and life and such.  The Hubble Telescope was aimed many years back at what astronomers considered to be a 'dark' area of space where there were no stars...perhaps they thought maybe they could finally see the end of the Universe.  

What they found instead was a field of what, at first glance, appeared to be stars.  But upon further study they realized that the entire field was galaxies...which gave way to the hypothesis that there are Trillions of Galaxies.

We have found a number of planets in our own galaxy...none of which...as far as we know...are capable of supporting life.  But that is really equivalent to digging a hole in your own yard and finding  grub worms,  and so you dig several holes around your neighborhood and upon not finding anymore grub worms concluding that there are only grub worms in your yard and therefore...grub worms exist only in your yard and no where else on the entire planet.

So let's get back on topic to your discussion of viruses.  @XenoFish provided a link to what viruses really are.  And others have pretty much concluded that there is no way they could have come from interstellar dust.   Nonetheless...in a round about way...we came from interstellar dust and so....you are right on that...to a point.

We know how to kill some of them...well...we know how to inoculate ourselves from some of them...but we can never really kill them because...as long as an Anti-Viral exists...the virus exists.  Catch 22 I think.

8 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

This one's completely fictional but I find the concept interesting.

Dollar Flu

It is very interesting.  But...diabolically so...and could possibly...if it were to happen, wipe out the entire human race...

What is more likely...aside from Viruses...is Fentanyl as a WMD.

It would take only 118 pounds of fentanyl to kill 25 million people.

• Like 1