Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Combatants agree to truce in Hodeida, Yemen

The Caspian Hare

https://gulfnews.com/world/gulf/yemen/un-chief-says-yemen-warring-sides-agree-to-truce-1.1544705069509

United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said on Thursday that Yemen's warring parties have agreed to a ceasefire in the Red Sea port city of Hodeida.

This appears to apply only to the city, for now.

• Like 1

That whole region is so volatile right now. Crimminy. I do blame a lot of it on Western Meddling, mostly the US.

Senate Votes to End Aid for Yemen Fight Over Khashoggi Killing and Saudis’ War Aid

And a round of applause for US Congress who have finally ditched support for the killing of civilians in Yemen by Saudi Arabia and who have approved a resolution to hold 'Prince' Mohammed bin Salman responsible for the death of Saudi jounalist Khassoggi.

• Like 2

A little help ...

~

~

[00.07:58]

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

That whole region is so volatile right now. Crimminy. I do blame a lot of it on Western Meddling, mostly the US.

Don't you think that the Houthi have something to do with it ? (Motto: "God is great, death to the US, death to Israel, curse the Jews, and victory for Islam"). 

Can't you give the locals credit for destroying themselves, or do you assume that inferior brown people REQUIRE external meddling by Superior White People in order to make a complete mess of things ? 

This is a Saudi intervention in Yemen to prop up an unpopular government. It is rapidly becoming the Saudi's vietnam !!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Can't you give the locals credit for destroying themselves, or do you assume that inferior brown people REQUIRE external meddling by Superior White People in order to make a complete mess of things ? 

Of course the locals can make a mess of things. They just cant make the same size of mess without the hundreds of millions of interventionist dollars.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Don't you think that the Houthi have something to do with it ? (Motto: "God is great, death to the US, death to Israel, curse the Jews, and victory for Islam"). 

This is a Saudi intervention in Yemen to prop up an unpopular government. It is rapidly becoming the Saudi's vietnam !!

Much of what is going on in the ME despite the Arab Spring is still governments that disagree because of their political stance on such things as Israel. I can't say that's absolutely the case here, no. But the region just isn't quite right.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Much of what is going on in the ME despite the Arab Spring is still governments that disagree because of their political stance on such things as Israel. I can't say that's absolutely the case here, no. But the region just isn't quite right.

Hmm.. I don't really know THAT much about the Yemeni conflict; I really must read more about it. 

I can't help but think, however, that the anti-US and anti-Isreal stances are just populist rabble-rousing (as indeed might the the slogans of Islamic piety); the ACTUAL grounds for the conflict are rooted in local politics and corruption. 

How does it go ? Me Against my Brother. My Brother and Me against my Cousins. My cousins and me against the Tribe. And the Tribe and me against the world !

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Black Red Devil said:

Senate Votes to End Aid for Yemen Fight Over Khashoggi Killing and Saudis’ War Aid

And a round of applause for US Congress who have finally ditched support for the killing of civilians in Yemen by Saudi Arabia and who have approved a resolution to hold 'Prince' Mohammed bin Salman responsible for the death of Saudi jounalist Khassoggi.

I have been following this war for years. Almost every one of those Senators thundering on about the awfulness of the Saudi campaign are complete hypocrites. They have been voting to continue Saudi support since 2015, and they only now noticed how awful their partners are? Must have been asleep at every intelligence briefing because we never heard a peep out of these people for 3 years.

I say almost all; Rand Paul of the Republicans and Tim Kaine of the Democrats, at least, have been against it more-or-less from the beginning.

Anyway the damage is already done. The people there know who fuels the planes that drop bombs on them. Our enemies make sure they know.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, The Caspian Hare said:

I have been following this war for years. Almost every one of those Senators thundering on about the awfulness of the Saudi campaign are complete hypocrites. They have been voting to continue Saudi support since 2015, and they only now noticed how awful their partners are? Must have been asleep at every intelligence briefing because we never heard a peep out of these people for 3 years.

I say almost all; Rand Paul of the Republicans and Tim Kaine of the Democrats, at least, have been against it more-or-less from the beginning.

Anyway the damage is already done. The people there know who fuels the planes that drop bombs on them. Our enemies make sure they know.

Agree with everything you wrote and I'm not surprised about Rand Paul who undoubtedly follows in the footsteps of his father.  Unfortunately the political ranks are infested with double faced hypocrites and it's not only an American phenomena. 

Edited by Black Red Devil
  • Like 2

Hmm.. dunno about "hypocrisy", more like Realpolitik ? Saudi is a major power within the gulf, and gets US support for all sorts of reasons. (not least because they spend BILLIONS on weapons). Yemen, on the other hand, is - for the most part - a p***ant little country with no huge strategic significance. The Houthis are a nasty piece of work, and it was THEY that attacked Saudi Arabia. 

It's sad that civilians are being killed and starved, but heck, that's a local issue for the Arabs to sort out. 

There have been WAY more people killed in the Mexican Drug War (by an order of magnitude), or the Boko Harem insurrection, or the South Sudan/Ethiopia civil war,  than have been killed in the Yemini civil war. You don't hear crocodile tears about THEM, do you ? 

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Thanks 1

Well nobody ever mistook me for a bleeding heart liberal. Sometimes you have to deal with bad people. It is one thing to say that supporting this war is no longer is in our interest. But these Senators were thundering with righteous indignation this week, as if they suddenly found out the truth and were morally shocked.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Hmm.. I don't really know THAT much about the Yemeni conflict; I really must read more about it. 

I can't help but think, however, that the anti-US and anti-Isreal stances are just populist rabble-rousing (as indeed might the the slogans of Islamic piety); the ACTUAL grounds for the conflict are rooted in local politics and corruption. 

How does it go ? Me Against my Brother. My Brother and Me against my Cousins. My cousins and me against the Tribe. And the Tribe and me against the world !

The Houthis are a small sect within Islam known as the Zaidas or Fivers.  They're a minority in Yemen that rose up against injustice and as soon as they gained control over some populations, they began the exact same injustices against the weaker people they controlled.  Iran bankrolls them to cause S.A. a headache and to gain a beachhead of sorts on the border of S.A.

3 hours ago, and then said:

The Houthis are a small sect within Islam known as the Zaidas or Fivers.  They're a minority in Yemen that rose up against injustice and as soon as they gained control over some populations, they began the exact same injustices against the weaker people they controlled. 

Such is the nature of revolutionary Islamic parties. 

3 hours ago, and then said:

.....  Iran bankrolls them to cause S.A. a headache and to gain a beachhead of sorts on the border of S.A.

Iran has a lot to answer for. 

But... to be "realpolitik"... who cares ? I mean, really ? 

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

But... to be "realpolitik"... who cares ? I mean, really ? 

Well, as long as S.A. has the west by the short hairs, we all have to be concerned.  Iran has proven its intentions to become the Hegemon in the whole region and the biggest obstacle within the Islamic Umma is S.A.  Iran knows that without western help, S.A. could fall in a very short conflict.  Just as Iran is staging men and infrastructure on Israel's borders in preparation for an eventual assault, Yemen is their beachhead in the Arabian Peninsula.  I believe that between Iran, Russia, and Turkey's current stratagems we are seeing the run-up to a massive regional war in the M.E.  The economic shock that it will cause could collapse the world's economy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, seanjo said:

bull****, the conflict is Sunni against Shia, Saudi against Iran, US/NATO/Israel alliance vs Russia, before that Yemen was a tributary of the Soviet bloc. Stop blaming the West for every ill in the World.

I've corrected your naive post with proper information which BTW contradicts your disingenuous rationale.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Hmm.. dunno about "hypocrisy", more like Realpolitik ? Saudi is a major power within the gulf, and gets US support for all sorts of reasons. (not least because they spend BILLIONS on weapons). Yemen, on the other hand, is - for the most part - a p***ant little country with no huge strategic significance. The Houthis are a nasty piece of work, and it was THEY that attacked Saudi Arabia. 

It's sad that civilians are being killed and starved, but heck, that's a local issue for the Arabs to sort out. 

There have been WAY more people killed in the Mexican Drug War (by an order of magnitude), or the Boko Harem insurrection, or the South Sudan/Ethiopia civil war,  than have been killed in the Yemini civil war. You don't hear crocodile tears about THEM, do you ? 

LOL, what a load.  We vote for these Realpolitik characters unlike the criminal dictators that run the two most powerful opposing countries in the ME.  You would expect a bit more from people who put themselves out there to represent populations and countries in western societies which are the most civil and advanced on this planet.  If YOU expect your politicians to scheme, murder, deceive, lie and co partner in criminal activities that's your choice and problem.  All it does is show what type of individual you are.  People like that don't represent me and the fact there are Mexican drug wars, Boko Harem and other murderous individuals in this world doesn't mean we support the cartels or Boko Harem leaders in their murderous quests, unlike what Trump basically did by choosing 450 million in arm sales over clear evidence by his secret service that the leader of SA was aware and responsible for the murder of a journalist in a foreign country and is purposely ordering the killing of civilians in Yemen.  For someone who likes to condemn Hamas as criminals for targeting civilians you seem to have a skewed mindset when the shoe fits on the other foot.

Edited by Black Red Devil
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Black Red Devil said:

LOL, what a load.  We vote for these Realpolitik characters unlike the criminal dictators that run the two most powerful opposing countries in the ME.  You would expect a bit more from people who put themselves out there to represent populations and countries in western societies which are the most civil and advanced on this planet.  If YOU expect your politicians to scheme, murder, deceive, lie and co partner in criminal activities that's your choice and problem.  All it does is show what type of individual you are.  People like that don't represent me and the fact there are Mexican drug wars, Boko Harem and other murderous individuals in this world doesn't mean we support the cartels or Boko Harem leaders in their murderous quests, unlike what Trump basically did by choosing 450 million in arm sales over clear evidence by his secret service that the leader of SA was aware and responsible for the murder of a journalist in a foreign country and is purposely ordering the killing of civilians in Yemen.  For someone who likes to condemn Hamas as criminals for targeting civilians you seem to have a skewed mindset when the shoe fits on the other foot.

Just that aspect of it, BRDevil.

"politics" - that sums it up.   During WWII when the US and USSR chose to ally in the war against Germany, President Truman had a hard time explaining this to the American people. He actually referred to Stalin is "Uncle Joe" to try to humanize him and soften the move. RIght, the Uncle Joe that killed 30 million people.  "politics", my man. 

If the US refused to deal with any country that had corrupt murderous leaders, we'd be saving a TON in foreign aid LOL

16 hours ago, Black Red Devil said:

Umm.. bravo.

However, does ANY of the above self-indulgent logically incoherent gibberish relate to Yemini ? 

Tel me BRD.. do you favour the Houthi Islamist-supremacist  "Rebels", or the Whabbaist Saudi-backed Islamist "government" ? 

Where do you stand ? 

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, seanjo said:

You silly b*****s that call people Naive are so naive, this is a war of cultures, you need to pick a side and get on board.
Who do you prefer, the Western democracies or China and Russia and Islam?

People like our friend from OZ remind me of this scene in A FEW GOOD MEN.  They live in safety and have the luxury of spitting on the people that provide that safety to them.

Starts at 1:30.  Nails their attitude perfectly.  It's why I have no respect for them at all.

2 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Umm.. bravo.

However, does ANY of the above self-indulgent logically incoherent gibberish relate to Yemini ? 

Tel me BRD.. do you favour the Houthi Islamist "Rebels", or the Whanabbi Saudi-backed Islamist "government" ? 

RoofGuy... with all due respect, why, oh, why, do we westerners HAVE to make a choice???? 

Calgon take me away!!;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

RoofGuy... with all due respect, why, oh, why, do we westerners HAVE to make a choice???? 

Calgon take me away!!;)

If you're not willing to make a choice, EoT, then I suggest you stop posting in this particular forum ? :) 

2 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Calgon take me away!!;)

I think 9-11-01 should have proven that there is no safe place from this insanity.

@RoofGardener  I'm attacking the materials from a different angle, that's all.

This is how Americans learn geography. Let's look up who we're bombing now! loll

5 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

@RoofGardener  I'm attacking the materials from a different angle, that's all.

This is how Americans learn geography. Let's look up who we're bombing now! loll

Welll.... OK... but America is not bombing Yemen ? 

It is assisting Saudi Arabia to do so, I'll grant you, as is the UK. 

But it is not directly bombing. 

Tell me EoT.. I'll ask you the same question I asked of BRD. 

Which side do you favour ? The Yemeni Houthi's, or the Yemeni "government" ?