Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Toddler, 3, shoots 8-month baby sister in face

Still Waters

An 8-month-old girl is fighting for her life after police say her 3-year-old brother accidentally shot her in the face in a New Mexico motel room while their mother and her boyfriend were in a shower.

The infant girl is listed in critical condition and her condition has not changed since she was found by police after she was shot Saturday in Gallup, New Mexico, Gallup Police Capt. Marinda Spencer said.

According to a criminal complaint, Shayanne Nelson, 18, and her boyfriend, Tyrell Bitsilly, 21, were in a motel shower when Nelson's child found a gun and accidentally shot the baby.

https://news4sanantonio.com/news/nation-world/mother-boyfriend-charges-toddler-shoots-baby-face

http://www.kxxv.com/story/39628870/toddler-shot-baby-in-face-while-couple-showered-police-said

• Sad 3

• The title was changed to Toddler, 3, shoots 8-month baby sister in face

Nelson told police she didn't know a gun was in the room and that it may have been left by a previous occupant, the complaint said. She told officers her son likely found the gun and decided to play with it, the complaint said.

or it was her B.F. s who had it illegally, and she's covering up for him. 

A witness told police he saw Bitsilly wipe the gun after the shooting.

i rented cars dozens of times, stayed in hotels\motels even more, not once i found anything from previous occupants.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 6

47 minutes ago, aztek said:

or it was her B.F. s who had it illegally, and she's covering up for him. 

i rented cars dozens of times, stayed in hotels\motels even more, not once i found anything from previous occupants.

I did a hotel remodel back in my early years.  We found all kinds of vintage things hidden above ceiling grid, behind bathroom mirrors, and in the most obscure nooks and crannies.  Practically mint condition playboys from the 1960's, (tin) beer cans and bottles, sex toys, and other stuff like that.

That being said, I agree that she is probably covering up for her boyfriend.  A couple of the guys on the crew bring their guns sometimes when they stay in shadier that normal hotels but they never forget them or leave them someplace where housekeeping would steal it.  They would forget their kids before they forgot their guns.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, seanjo said:

Revoke any right for the pair of them to own a weapon, they're obviously not responsible enough.

They're not responsible enough for children either. This is not the first time the male has faced child abuse charges.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

They're not responsible enough for children either. This is not the first time the male has faced child abuse charges.

You got that right! They left a 3 yr old and an 8 month old unsupervised while they both got into a shower in a hotel room! I don't believe that gun just happened to already be there laying around for one minute!

Put the kids into protective services and both the parents in jail!

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

She is 18, Boyfriend is 21

Kids are 3 year old and 8 months old ... something doesn't quite add up here ...

~

• Like 1

4 hours ago, third_eye said:

She is 18, Boyfriend is 21

Kids are 3 year old and 8 months old ... something doesn't quite add up here ...

~

Precocious gunslingers.  The American dream in full realisation.

Edited by Black Red Devil

28 minutes ago, Black Red Devil said:

Precocious gunslingers.  The American dream in full realisation.

I wouldn't go so far as that, the real kids aren't at fault here, the older one could be the boy's and the infant could be the girl's from some other relationships

~

• Like 2

On 12/14/2018 at 1:32 AM, susieice said:

You got that right! They left a 3 yr old and an 8 month old unsupervised while they both got into a shower in a hotel room! I don't believe that gun just happened to already be there laying around for one minute!

Put the kids into protective services and both the parents in jail!

It's possible the gun was already in the room.   Having worked at a hotel when I was younger, you find lots of stuff stashed away.    

These 2 are way too irresponsible to have custody of children.   Leaving children that young alone while you screw in the shower?   Priorities people! 

• Like 1