Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Organ donors to be asked if they are religious

5 posts in this topic

Still Waters

People who join the NHS's UK organ donation register are to be asked if they want their religious beliefs to be considered in the donation process.

The question aims to reassure people that donation can take place in line with their faith or beliefs.

It is hoped the measure can help to boost the low proportion of donors from black and Asian backgrounds.

Research has found religious and cultural beliefs are the main barrier to organ donation in these communities.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46538926

• Haha 1

third_eye

Oh no ... you are not allowed into this heaven ... only your kidneys ... it used to belong to someone who is already here

~

• Haha 1

Stubbly_Dooright

Thank you for this tidbit of info, StillWaters. :)  

Initially, upon reading the bit that was quoted in the OP, I kind of had a similar feeling close to Third Eye's response. I was thinking like, 'Wow!'. (This kind of a snarky response *shrugs*) 

Not to you SW, but to the point in the article. 

I was also thinking, what does religion have to do with it, if it's trying to get a particular race to donate more, or more to donate. It's kind of like a 'apples and oranges' thought to me, in comparison of religion to the number of a particular ethnic population that doesn't donate as much. I would think our organs are pretty much the same, (Yeah, I'm considering there are particular differences within each race.) Then I read this:

NHS Blood and Transplant, the organisation that runs the NHS organ donation register, said this would enable nurses to discuss concerns about the process with families, such as whether a burial would be delayed.

Jackie Doyle-Price, Minister for Inequalities, said: "Organ donation is a priceless gift but thousands of people are still waiting for a transplant and we must do all we can to remove the barriers that prevent people from signing up as a donor.

I can see how beliefs can be a factor, when considering the time sensitive situation in how quickly organs need to be transplanted and how important beliefs play a part in burial practices. I wonder though, when a particular religious individual, who is a donor, understands also (before death, of course) that they may not have the burial in the time needed, (due to beliefs) so that their remains are available to donate. (I'm going to assume they did) 

I tried reading the article more than once, does it explain religious reasons why the certain race's that donate the less, don't for that very fact? 

• Like 1

third_eye

Just be respectful and respect people as decent human beings ... its not difficult. Though some idiots are harder to convince that one religion is no more better or worse than any other if the person practicing it is a proper human being. God knows, if you pardon the expression, we have more than the usual numbers of such idiots sullying the good name of proper human beings of certain Religious beliefs here in the Forums. I don't care what God is but if whatever this God do that does not demonstrate the characteristics of a proper decent human being, this God should be banished to the deepest depths of hell and so high up Satan's anus and freeze there till kingdom come.

~

~

Feb 13, 2017 - KUALA LUMPUR: There are no restrictions for organ donation and transplantation between a Muslim and a ... He also shared the findings of the National Fatwa Council meeting on April 13 and 14, 1982 on blood donation ...

~
Dec 12, 2017 - They met in Penang on 15 September, 2017, in the presence of Penang chief ... Malaysia still has one of the lowest rate of organ donors in the world, ... like it's alright for a non-Muslim's organ to end up in the body of a Muslim.

~
Feb 12, 2017 - KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 12 — Organ donors are not segregated by religion or ... donor card should carry an indication that he was not a Muslim.

~

Sep 16, 2017 - Organ donor's parents meet woman who received her heart ... Lee, a 37-year-old part-time clinic assistant from Singapore, is the recipient of the ...

~

Feb 14, 2017 - Donors' organs are distributed based on clinical criteria, such as waiting times, and suitability between donors and recipients. ... as Muslims or non-Muslims, the Ministry of Health has said that organ donors are not segregated ...

~

Edited by third_eye
paywall site removed
  • Like 1

travelnjones

I have been trying to stop commenting but I will comment on this topic.  I have had a kidney transplant and looks like in the next few years will need another one, 19 years is old for a donated kidney.

Religion plays a role in both sided of the kidney failure issue.  So for me the person who was on dialysis, you are required to use a blood anti coagulant which is going to be Porcine (unless your are Muslim/Jewish).  If your religion precludes that you are going to have Bovine which Hindus would object too.  If you are a vegetarian or vegan I am unsure.

One the donator side of the issue there are some cultural religious issues in Asian religion that see dead tissue as negative.  I am unsure of how transplant would be seen, but it has made Japan of particular note as Shinto and culture has made them a country that has many long term dialysis patients. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organ_transplantation_in_Japan

Personally I had a living kidney donation from my mother who has since passed.  I am of very sad feeling dealing with the incoming failure of her kidney as it is a living piece or her.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1