Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
rashore

Bizarre Accounts of Living Dinosaurs- Africa

417 posts in this topic

MaxieRosalee
Posted (edited)
On 1/2/2019 at 4:17 AM, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

@MaxieRosalee    WOW!!     great job and that's a lot of work.  Merci!

Thank you very much. I try my best to make my posts thorough with material backing it up. I'm sorry I couldn't put it in an easier format. I tried to convert the website to pdf and then translate the file, but it didn't work out. I had to translate it all by hand.

On 1/2/2019 at 4:24 AM, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Japanese Video - Mokele-Mbembe

You're right, MR, it is not good footage. "Something" can be seen in the water. It is very big, and either has a very long neck or it is a snake.

ON SECOND THOUGHT:   I just realized something very important. If you look right at the end of the above vid, you will see, as I mentioned, either a very long neck or a long snake. I believe we can eliminate "snake".  Snakes swim in serpentine fashion (S-shaped) to propel themselves thru the water. This long protrusion is as straight as an arrow, yet the beast MOVES thru water. 'Taint no snake!!

And whatever it is, is very long.   Feedback  welcome from MR and @Carnoferox 

Merci in advance

@Carnoferox already beat me to it, but I agree with his point. The frame he pointed out definitely looks like an elephant, and anything else is simply too blurry and unclear to discern any information. I don't feel sauropods are suited very much for swimming, especially in water that looks as deep as it does in the video. I agree with your point that it's definitely not a snake. A dinosaur, even less likely.

Edited by MaxieRosalee
  • Like 1

stereologist
Posted (edited)

This notion that there is something there because the locals claim there is something there is rather a poor decision.

An example of this is talking animals. There are plenty of stories of talking animals yet we know that is not possible. Animals in general do not have the ability to produce the range of sounds necessary for speech. Despite this there are tales of talking animals across the globe.

There are also tales of dragons. Large winged reptiles that fly and might spit fire out of their mouths are told but that does not mean they exist.

As pointed out in this thread numerous times the idea that there i a non-avian dinosaur in the Congo is simply a western spin on stories from the area.

Edited by stereologist
spelling
  • Like 1

the13bats
9 hours ago, Piney said:

Don't ever ask a Ramapo Lenape or Nanticoke Lenape about a Bigfoot/Jersey Devil. (see my post above). :yes:

Perhaps my dr narkeris quote is taken a bit out of the context of how i was using it and even perhaps how she meant it, she has discovered like 6 new species of primates.

And when we get past myth and spirtuial beings i do not believe all indigenous people lie about things they see.

If you read much of my posts you know i rate eye witness reports and anecdotal evidence as worthless, that is worthless to me to prove something in a scientific way,

Any human can and some do lie, and some are very sincere just mistaken, in the case of living dinosaurs in the congo, no, i see zero to prove it to me something with a footprint 3 feet across is living there, however, a reptile of 20, 30 maybe 40 feet could be, and being open minded to that is far easier for me than saying all the natives are lying.

As far as jersey devil i find it an abomination, a hodge podge of mixed creatures that vary sighting to sighting and not the same as big lizards in the congo,

Remember the monsterquest episode in PNG looking for pterodactyls one non local was such an overbearing walking pile of fertilizer i couldnt take anything he spewed with any merits

However again the indigenous peoples insist they see something described as a pterodactyl i have a hard time saying 100% of those people are lying, but a huge flying reptile would not stay hidden so where does that leave me?

• Like 1

Lord Harry

Is anyone here familiar with the story of early paleontologists discovering a pterosaur encased in stone that when released suddenly returned to life?

I recall reading this years ago in an Encyclopedia of Cryptozoology. The incident allegedly took place in France during the 1800s.

• Sad 1

Carnoferox
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Lord Harry said:

Is anyone here familiar with the story of early paleontologists discovering a pterosaur encased in stone that when released suddenly returned to life?

I recall reading this years ago in an Encyclopedia of Cryptozoology. The incident allegedly took place in France during the 1800s.

Yes, it is an obvious hoax.

https://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzoology/2007/12/23/pterosaurs-alive

Perhaps the earliest 'living pterosaur' account dates to 1856 when, according to the Illustrated London News, a live pterodactyl with a 3 m wingspan emerged alive from within a rock dislodged during the construction of a French railway tunnel. The emergence of live animals from 'within solid rock' was not an unfamiliar idea at the time, as various Victorian reports described the discovery of frogs, toads and other animals within rocks or stones. This story is clearly a hoax: the pterosaur allegedly represented a new species dubbed Pterodactylus anas. Anas means duck; in France (where the pterosaur was allegedly found), a duck is called a canard. Canard is another word for hoax.

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

the13bats
On 1/4/2019 at 7:42 AM, stereologist said:

A long and detailed study of the Jersey devil has been produced and it is far more  interesting than the silly stories and fiction so often told.

https://www.csicop.org/si/show/the_jersey_devil_the_real_story

That was a great read, i always thought the jd was myth but this wraps it up really well,

Of course true believers have their tar and feathers ready at hand.

stereologist
57 minutes ago, the13bats said:

That was a great read, i always thought the jd was myth but this wraps it up really well,

Of course true believers have their tar and feathers ready at hand.

As is so often said there is some grain of truth to the tales. In this case it happens to be a kangaroo with wings tied to it. I noticed that was not in the tale. It comes in the early 1900s when someone went to capitalize on the tales.

the13bats

I recall the poor kangaroo gaff...

CuCulaine
On ‎2018‎-‎12‎-‎31 at 12:23 AM, Lord Harry said:

Will do so. Most accounts of living dinosaurs are likely hoaxes or exxagerations. On that I will concede.

The Loch Ness Monster in particular could not be a plesiosaur simply because their isn't enough fish in the loch to support a single large predator of that nature much less a breeding population. If Nessie is a cryptid, I find the giant salamder hypothesis to be far more plausible.

What makes you think its a constant resident ? Not just coming into breed btw when do those resident fish spawn ?

CuCulaine
On ‎2019‎-‎01‎-‎04 at 6:36 AM, the13bats said:

Perhaps my dr narkeris quote is taken a bit out of the context of how i was using it and even perhaps how she meant it, she has discovered like 6 new species of primates.

And when we get past myth and spirtuial beings i do not believe all indigenous people lie about things they see.

If you read much of my posts you know i rate eye witness reports and anecdotal evidence as worthless, that is worthless to me to prove something in a scientific way,

Any human can and some do lie, and some are very sincere just mistaken, in the case of living dinosaurs in the congo, no, i see zero to prove it to me something with a footprint 3 feet across is living there, however, a reptile of 20, 30 maybe 40 feet could be, and being open minded to that is far easier for me than saying all the natives are lying.

As far as jersey devil i find it an abomination, a hodge podge of mixed creatures that vary sighting to sighting and not the same as big lizards in the congo,

Remember the monsterquest episode in PNG looking for pterodactyls one non local was such an overbearing walking pile of fertilizer i couldnt take anything he spewed with any merits

However again the indigenous peoples insist they see something described as a pterodactyl i have a hard time saying 100% of those people are lying, but a huge flying reptile would not stay hidden so where does that leave me?

Funny how you are one that's needs a dead specimen dropped at your feet bleeding to recognize it exists. Then you will say what ?

Use google and look at all the forest territory that lacks virtually little or no human activity. 

the13bats
2 hours ago, CuCulaine said:

Funny how you are one that's needs a dead specimen dropped at your feet bleeding to recognize it exists. Then you will say what ?

Use google and look at all the forest territory that lacks virtually little or no human activity. 

Nothing ironic about the fact i need scientific proof not true believers faith,

I need nothing bleeding at my feet and have zero clue why you are making up stuff, ( again )

Brian sykes did a great job to prove to me and what most monks knew all along the yeti is a type of bear, and no bloody remains, just dna.

What did i say then? Way to go doc sykes,

You worded tha last partt oddly,

You said "lacks" virtually any or no human activity, so do you mean places people are in abundance,

Assuming what you meant to say, so what if few or no people there, so what ? doesnt mean a creature is either.

• Like 4

MaxieRosalee
On 1/6/2019 at 12:13 PM, CuCulaine said:

I fail to see how that is "funny." Yes, we do need some kind of specimen to prove its existence. How is that unreasonable? Are you telling me to accept blurry beyond recognition photos, unbelievably shaky videos, and unconfirmed reports as undeniable proof of its existence?

Let me tell you, if they ever drag a body out of there and it's confirmed by multiple reputable scientists as being real, I will personally buy you dinner and apologize while saying that you were right all along.

But only after we get proof. Until then, it doesn't exist to most.

Piney
On 1/5/2019 at 1:13 PM, the13bats said:

It was actually invented in a parody and nut shot to Daniel Leeds written by Ben Franklin which the 'London Gentlemen's Gazette' ran as a true tale. 

• Like 1

Anna101

It would be great if we could have our own explorers go have a look otherwise it is just conjecture really.

I mean, I have heard that the Congo is like 80% uncharted but I can't really say that's true.

We should send in groups of teenagers to look, lol x

Edited by Anna101
Typo

Earl.Of.Trumps
6 hours ago, Anna101 said:

It would be great if we could have our own explorers go have a look otherwise it is just conjecture really.

I mean, I have heard that the Congo is like 80% uncharted but I can't really say that's true.

We should send in groups of teenagers to look, lol x

I'll volunteer mine!  :D

• Haha 1

Anna101
1 minute ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

I'll volunteer mine!  :D

Lol. Little sods would love it. Obviously, we'd make sure they're safe but I think kids are smarter than we know and should be FULLY encouraged to be explorers. They are our true explorers, not those ****s on TV who don't even live near us all and are all funded by the same people for like, hundreds of years. Duhhh, as if you can believe what they say anyway. They're just capitalists.

Encouraging teens to be explorers would stop loads of unnecessary deaths too. I mean look how many die during the holidays from jumping in deep lakes to see how deep they are?! Those questions really do need to be answered so I can understand why they do it. I think we are supposed to step inwards towards mystery, not be afraid.

I was like that as a kid anyway. I reckon they'd be ACE.

Yeah, send some teens I say. Ok, a couple may get munched but they'd film it well and the research papers would be interesting lol x