Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Indianapolis Poltergeist: Part I and 2

macqdor

The Indianapolis Poltergeist: Part I

On a Sunday in March of 1962, a few minutes after 10 p.m., it started. A heavy German beer stein lifted from the kitchen sink, sailed through the air, and exploded upon the floor. Shortly after, the family heard a loud crash from upstairs. Upon investigation they found that some of Renate’s mother’s crystal glass, moving on its own accord, had met its destruction upon the floor. The family fled to a nearby hotel, not returning until the next day.

https://ss-times.com/the-indianapolis-poltergeist-part-i/

Part2

https://ss-times.com/the-indianapolis-poltergeist-conclusion/

• Rapping from upstairs when the family was downstairs.
    • One officer hearing a crash from upstairs, and when investigated found a crystal swan lying shattered below a shelf in daughter Linda’s bedroom.
    • Phantom bites, punctures and bruising appearing on all three of the women, but especially the youngest daughter. Renate’s mother, Lina, claimed she had been choked.
    • Renate’s purse, with $125 inside, disappeared. It eventually reappeared on March 25 at the feet of her elderly mother, and with $80 missing. Hmm?

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, moonman said:

Bad shelving, a kid that bites and a thieving granny. Not much meat on this one.

Here a mugshot of the culprits:

400px-Wallplugs_selection_0175-4.jpg

• Haha 2

That's actually pretty funny, but on a serious note, how do you explain the beer stein floating?

4 hours ago, TomHaider51 said:

That's actually pretty funny, but on a serious note, how do you explain the beer stein floating?

(ugh i hate doing this because im not really "skeptic guy") The article doesnt say that the stein was witnessed floating, just that it came out of the sink and broke.

Skeptics ignore that part of the story. They often view it as an out right lie or the say it's the house occupants misinterpretion or over exaggeration.  Objects flying or better objects behaving weirdly in conjunction with other activity i.e. asport, a port phenomena suggest low level "geist" activity. The baselines are all over this article for those study and know Poltergeist. 

Funny. This is not the story I was expecting from Indy.

Anyways, the floating stein problem is these stories often are told by people that are inclined to think about these issues in a certain way. A stein is dropped and people add to the story what they believe happened - it floated through the air. In the case I was thinking about when I read the thread title, only some of the people corroborated the events that have become the story. 

On 14/12/2018 at 2:39 PM, TomHaider51 said:

On 14/12/2018 at 7:08 PM, Farmer77 said:

(ugh i hate doing this because im not really "skeptic guy") The article doesnt say that the stein was witnessed floating, just that it came out of the sink and broke.

On 14/12/2018 at 7:16 PM, macqdor said:

Skeptics ignore that part of the story. They often view it as an out right lie or the say it's the house occupants misinterpretion or over exaggeration.  Objects flying or better objects behaving weirdly in conjunction with other activity i.e. asport, a port phenomena suggest low level "geist" activity. The baselines are all over this article for those study and know Poltergeist. 

23 hours ago, stereologist said:

Funny. This is not the story I was expecting from Indy.

Anyways, the floating stein problem is these stories often are told by people that are inclined to think about these issues in a certain way. A stein is dropped and people add to the story what they believe happened - it floated through the air. In the case I was thinking about when I read the thread title, only some of the people corroborated the events that have become the story. 

Ball lightning is the most probable cause. But we'll have to wait until further research has been made.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1720-ball-lightning-scientists-remain-in-the-dark/

"Turner thinks ball lightning might cause the spooky movement of objects blamed on “poltergeists”. Abrahamson adds that similar chemical processes could also account for spontaneous human combustion, rare cases of people inexplicably bursting into flames."

Edited by sci-nerd

only some of the people corroborated the events that have become the story. 

the police dept first thought it was the work of pranks.  Thats an likely assumption. Doesn't mean it's correct. 

They later on begin "scratching their heads" unable to determine root cause.

"Geist" is hard to decipher because 99.99% of the activity takes with just the house occupants present.  There's no mention of other homes experiencing pellet gun attacks - IMO because that assumption is incorrect.  An logical assumption doesn't necessarily mean that's what happened.    The house occupants notified the police (an unusual step for hoaxers).  This happened years ago which means we'll never know the total truth.  Lump it with all the other stories told throughout the world.    

the telltale signs are there though.