Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
MindfulInquirer

A love for deep, dark symbolism

9 posts in this topic

MindfulInquirer

Hi !

I've been a horror fan my whole life ever since I can remember, and I'm very interested in the psychology, and philosophy of the genre. I love to have a deeper look at who the monsters REALLY are.

Wanted to drop by and say hello before starting my own threads like I've been here a long time. Heh ! :D

• Like 8

Not A Rockstar

Go for it :) 

Most horrifying things I know of are inside the human brain when it misfires. It will be interesting to see what you've got to say.

• Like 6

eight bits

Welcome aboard!

I'll amend @Not A Rockstar's comment slightly:

Most horrifying things I know of are inside the human brain when it misfires.

And even when it isn't misfiring :) .

I'm an admirer of Carl Jung, who had a lot to say about the darker side of the psyche, much of it usually unconscious but always "trying" to rise to conscious attention. Reading horror stories can only help make the reader aware of the darker possibilities of the human condition, and to help make them manageable.

If you look at Rockstar's sig (only visible when you're signed in), all of it is on that theme, but the opening line

"Shadow work is the path of the heart warrior"   ~ Jung

There's the searchable phrase, shadow work carl jung. It sounds like you're already doing some of that spontaneously, in choosing this genre and getting something out of it. Maybe "shadow work" provides a context or framework for what you're already doing somewhat.

Carry on!

• Like 4

third_eye

Let me set things off with the right kick in the gut ... I just read about this a few days ago ... I asked the very same question, who are the monsters REALLY ?

A friend of mine nominated Sef Gonzales ...

~

Sef Gonzales (born 16 September 1980) is a Filipino Australian who was convicted and ... Gonzales inflicted multiple stab wounds and cuts to her face, neck, chest and abdomen. ... After killing his family, Gonzales disposed of the murder weapons, including the bat he had used in striking Clodine, and .... "My child, my killer".

~
May 14, 2016 - Filipino Australian Sef Gonzales (now dubbed as the Baby face killer) was really the average guy. But on the 10th July, 2001 he found his father ...

~

Crime Investigation Australia youtube LINK

[00.50:39]

~

~

• Like 3

MindfulInquirer

Alright then fellas, I'll go start a thread right now about a topic I find quite 'essential'. Get some conversation going, and that way people know what I'm about right away.

• Like 2

Ares_Zeusson
13 hours ago, MindfulInquirer said:

I've been a horror fan my whole life ever since I can remember, and I'm very interested in the psychology, and philosophy of the genre.

Awesome! Horror fans are the best.

MindfulInquirer
1 hour ago, Kid_Marx said:

Awesome! Horror fans are the best.

Haha. It's like there's extra spice in horror than everywhere else, huh.

Scudbuster

More horrific abuse in Scotland at the hands of the priests and nuns: 

GoodReality

Welcome to the forum! What about horror interests you?