Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
MindfulInquirer

Who is Dracula REALLY ?

14 posts in this topic

MindfulInquirer

We think we know, but do we truly know ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LgMdPNdsBc

I'm interested in your feedback guys. Any constructive criticism about the video itself, or discussion about the various themes is much welcome ! :)

• Like 1

Not A Rockstar

While I honestly hate it when someone posts a YT video as their opening gambit, I did give this a view and it is better done than most we see offered here by new members seeking to get more views.

Just 9 minutes long if anyone wonders. It is a brief cultural and psychological dissection of the Dracula Lore and reveals some of the cultural images behind it and why it was crafted the way it was to be a literary Devil Type. That was interesting, offering a few ideas I had not had about Dracula before. It is new in this sense and a bit refreshing. Not just a rehash of ole Drac.

One has to be more of a deeper thinker and architect type themselves to then take it from this video and see how aspects of Dracula are within people and society today and are destructive influences, despite the fact those who share these traits are like Dracula and fail to see their own wrongness. Words used, like "sin" are certain to run them off further from self-realization, that being a form of garlic :) 

If you mean to further your own ends here, this, if introduced with more of the text to express what you explore would fly fairly well in our psychology section. We have some great minds here in that field, plus a lot of posters who exemplify the full spectrum, and it might be an interesting exercise. You might find some who agree or even gain some insights to enhance your video and the approach taken.

Not bad, just still shallow. This can be taken further, and I hope you do that. 

JMO. More will come along, I am sure :) 

• Like 1

MindfulInquirer
51 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

While I honestly hate it when someone posts a YT video as their opening gambit, I did give this a view and it is better done than most we see offered here by new members seeking to get more views.

Just 9 minutes long if anyone wonders. It is a brief cultural and psychological dissection of the Dracula Lore and reveals some of the cultural images behind it and why it was crafted the way it was to be a literary Devil Type. That was interesting, offering a few ideas I had not had about Dracula before. It is new in this sense and a bit refreshing. Not just a rehash of ole Drac.

One has to be more of a deeper thinker and architect type themselves to then take it from this video and see how aspects of Dracula are within people and society today and are destructive influences, despite the fact those who share these traits are like Dracula and fail to see their own wrongness. Words used, like "sin" are certain to run them off further from self-realization, that being a form of garlic :) 

If you mean to further your own ends here, this, if introduced with more of the text to express what you explore would fly fairly well in our psychology section. We have some great minds here in that field, plus a lot of posters who exemplify the full spectrum, and it might be an interesting exercise. You might find some who agree or even gain some insights to enhance your video and the approach taken.

Not bad, just still shallow. This can be taken further, and I hope you do that. 

JMO. More will come along, I am sure :) 

Love this kind of reply. Constructive criticism. No ad hominem. Nice, man (girl ?).

And in case you're wondering, I'm not spamming, I genuinely enjoy sharing thoughts and what better way than with my own video, with the impact of editing and visuals and what not. I'm glad I get feedback like this every once in a while.

Oh there's much more to be said, you're absolutely right, but don't forget this is YouTube and I have very limited time (and depth) to get my main points across. There is also perhaps the notion of politicians being vampiric creatures, sucking on the blood of the citizen, trying to buy themselves a tad bit more time. And as you say yes, the parasitic nature of certain people in the common every day life.

Edited by MindfulInquirer

Not A Rockstar

Well, here is the thing. YT is visual. UM is writing. Many are the YTers who come here hoping to miraculously gain a thousand viewers from here and they fail, miserably, because they cannot grasp this huge difference. We also debate here, sometimes bloodily, and so we do not trust easy and few are going to click on your link up there as it is offered, no matter how good your intentions. A couple who know me might, after my post just to see if it is worth the bother.

You MUST present words, teasers, bait for anyone to click who is writing oriented in how they communicate. As many true professionals and academics as we have here, time is critical so adding the LENGTH of the link is also critical. Two different languages and groups of people you are trying to reach.

Fail and end up on the heap of frustration and seen as a spammer trying for views. I am bothering because I liked you from first post and think you have something to say, but, I also think you are still honing your vision and once you do, it will be worthwhile.

You took that boring ole saw Dracula and made his lore very much a statement on our society today.... almost. Forget politicians and the easy marks. Apply his lore to the common man (they become politicos after all anyway), apply the virgin victims to young minds and how wrong evils and bad ideas or education can divert them into corruption, for one example. How the intensity of terror or reaction to a perceived threat can turn normal people and beliefs into mania and violence (extremism/attacking the perceived vampire threat). Dracula is, after all, the ultimate narcissist and sociopath.

Two quick ideas off the top of my head, and you have the very mind and genius to do this. You will see better correlations and this is just one monster, one beast. I can sense this in you and hope you chase it down as we have long needed a new eye for horror and how it really works and why it does. 

Check out Obsolete Oddities and some of his YT vids. That is another brilliant fellow and he holds his watchers for easily 20 minutes. You cannot help but like him. Study why he is so damn good. Read what comments say. Yall are similar in ways. You can do this. A couple more lights of inspiration need to flick on and you will see it, too. If I knew what they are I'd do it for you, but, I am sure if you debate a few of our greats here, it will happen because you are almost there, You can be really awesome at this.

JMO.

• Thanks 2

StarMountainKid

My understanding of Dracula is that he is a victim. He did not choose to become a vampire, but evidently was bitten by another vampire, thus becoming a vampire himself.

He is caught in this cycle of vampirism from which he cannot escape. I think this relates to our own psychological conditionings from which we cannot escape, our self destructive reputative behavior. 

We may whish for and end of these kinds of behaviors, but our obsessions are too strong. We feel to change we will loose ourselves in the bargain. I think Dracula wishes for the stake, but of course the deed is too horrible to contemplate.

So, Dracula and we continue our psychological behaviors, knowing their self-destructiveness. I think some compassion for Dracula and ourselves is essential for the possibility of personal change to occur.

• Like 1

Impedancer

The fictional character Dracula was written by Bram Stoker and was based on Vlad Tepes vlad the impaler 1428 - 1477 who was the prince of wallachia in Transylvania Romania who also was known for his thirst in blood yes he indeed liked to impale his enemies. This wasn't the first vampire story written the first was vampyre john polidori 1819.

Edited by Avalanche
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

third_eye

The real Vlad Tepes  ...

~

Battle of Targoviste (Part 1/2) - Vlad the Impaler Rises HistoryMarche • 227K views

[00.11:12]

~

~

• Like 1

rashore

Not only Vlad Tepes III, AKA Impailer, but also some of his fathers deeds and other family drama rolled into him make that historical backbone. Dracula vs Frankenstein really happened-just not the way fictionalizations make it out to be. And to be sure, a serious PR machine demonizing his already nasty stuff. He was blood-thirsty in the brutal war way, but not so much a blood drinker in the vampire way. 

He wasn’t alone either. Had a couple wives, one that outlived him and went on to remarry after his death. And he produced offspring that made a viable family line. Purportedly he laid down on the wrong side of the sheets as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

MindfulInquirer
15 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

Well, here is the thing. YT is visual. UM is writing. Many are the YTers who come here hoping to miraculously gain a thousand viewers from here and they fail, miserably, because they cannot grasp this huge difference. We also debate here, sometimes bloodily, and so we do not trust easy and few are going to click on your link up there as it is offered, no matter how good your intentions. A couple who know me might, after my post just to see if it is worth the bother.

You MUST present words, teasers, bait for anyone to click who is writing oriented in how they communicate. As many true professionals and academics as we have here, time is critical so adding the LENGTH of the link is also critical. Two different languages and groups of people you are trying to reach.

Fail and end up on the heap of frustration and seen as a spammer trying for views. I am bothering because I liked you from first post and think you have something to say, but, I also think you are still honing your vision and once you do, it will be worthwhile.

You took that boring ole saw Dracula and made his lore very much a statement on our society today.... almost. Forget politicians and the easy marks. Apply his lore to the common man (they become politicos after all anyway), apply the virgin victims to young minds and how wrong evils and bad ideas or education can divert them into corruption, for one example. How the intensity of terror or reaction to a perceived threat can turn normal people and beliefs into mania and violence (extremism/attacking the perceived vampire threat). Dracula is, after all, the ultimate narcissist and sociopath.

Two quick ideas off the top of my head, and you have the very mind and genius to do this. You will see better correlations and this is just one monster, one beast. I can sense this in you and hope you chase it down as we have long needed a new eye for horror and how it really works and why it does. 

Check out Obsolete Oddities and some of his YT vids. That is another brilliant fellow and he holds his watchers for easily 20 minutes. You cannot help but like him. Study why he is so damn good. Read what comments say. Yall are similar in ways. You can do this. A couple more lights of inspiration need to flick on and you will see it, too. If I knew what they are I'd do it for you, but, I am sure if you debate a few of our greats here, it will happen because you are almost there, You can be really awesome at this.

JMO.

wow, thanks for the taking the time to write this up for little old me ! I really appreciate the gesture. I've looked up ObsoleteOddities, it seems to be more based on stories or facts and I haven't come across any analysis but perhaps it's there in his older stuff.

I didn't realize this website was more about reading, although I wasn't hoping to get tons of views or anything. YT is a patient man's game, if I can at least get a few people interested and spark a bit of conversation and get some feedback, I'm happy.

• Like 1

Impedancer
5 hours ago, rashore said:

Not only Vlad Tepes III, AKA Impailer, but also some of his fathers deeds and other family drama rolled into him make that historical backbone. Dracula vs Frankenstein really happened-just not the way fictionalizations make it out to be. And to be sure, a serious PR machine demonizing his already nasty stuff. He was blood-thirsty in the brutal war way, but not so much a blood drinker in the vampire way. 

He wasn’t alone either. Had a couple wives, one that outlived him and went on to remarry after his death. And he produced offspring that made a viable family line. Purportedly he laid down on the wrong side of the sheets as well.

I didn't know this about him all i knew is that he was an extremely brutal ruler blood thirsty in the way he that ruled and waged war. His favourite way of execution was to impale people it is said the turks feared him after they discovered a forest of Turkish soldiers impaled. He is an interesting person that i need to read up on more.

Edited by Avalanche
  • Like 2

Not A Rockstar
2 hours ago, MindfulInquirer said:

wow, thanks for the taking the time to write this up for little old me ! I really appreciate the gesture. I've looked up ObsoleteOddities, it seems to be more based on stories or facts and I haven't come across any analysis but perhaps it's there in his older stuff.

I didn't realize this website was more about reading, although I wasn't hoping to get tons of views or anything. YT is a patient man's game, if I can at least get a few people interested and spark a bit of conversation and get some feedback, I'm happy.

His style of story telling is what his magic is. He is also a master of video in many ways. 

Your effort to analyze is kinda unique to you for now, but ideas are always out there to be picked up by the many so someone will do it soon, Creativity is a soup and anyone can dip out a mug full and run with what they come out with.

Forums = written media.  YT = visual

• Like 1

sci-nerd
10 hours ago, Avalanche said:

The fictional character Dracula was written by Bram Stoker and was based on Vlad Tepes vlad the impaler 1428 - 1477 who was the prince of wallachia in Transylvania Romania who also was known for his thirst in blood yes he indeed liked to impale his enemies. This wasn't the first vampire story written the first was vampyre john polidori 1819.

Vlad was not Stoker's only source of inspiration. The New England Vampire Panic, and the case of Mercy Brown in particular, was too.

Local residents believed consumption (tuberculosis) was really a demonic possession, and the only way to slay the evil entity, was to dig up corpses of the latest deceased, take out the heart and burn it, and finally making a tonic from the ashes, to give to the sick.

• Like 2

rashore
3 hours ago, Avalanche said:

I didn't know this about him all i knew is that he was an extremely brutal ruler blood thirsty in the way he that ruled and waged war. His favourite way of execution was to impale people it is said the turks feared him after they discovered a forest of Turkish soldiers impaled. He is an interesting person that i need to read up on more.

Yeah, he is interesting, so is some of his family. I did a research paper on him in college, is was a "truth is stranger than fiction" kind of thing. It was one of my earlier forays into studious lore tripping. By now I've forgotten more details than I remember, lol.

• Like 2

MindfulInquirer
7 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

His style of story telling is what his magic is. He is also a master of video in many ways. 

Your effort to analyze is kinda unique to you for now, but ideas are always out there to be picked up by the many so someone will do it soon, Creativity is a soup and anyone can dip out a mug full and run with what they come out with.

Forums = written media.  YT = visual

Very true, and well put. I used to abhor the idea (that creativity is "a soup and anyone can dip out a mug-full) but it is the actual tangible truth, nowadays even more with everything being so accessible with online activity. Again, thank you for the honest and enriching exchange, plenty of people are just uzzhools who channel their frustrations anonymously online (yeah, that's the way I spell it).

• Like 1