Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
The Caspian Hare

Intact 5th dynasty tomb found in Egypt

Recommended Posts

 
seanjo

Did anyone see Tony Robinson's (Baldric...:D) last Ancient Egypt docu? Bloody fascinating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Wistman

btw....this tomb decoration from the 5th Dyn. is a good example (of, admittedly, only a few) of the Old Kingdom stoneworkers carving sculpture from the living rock...a point once disputed in another thread (about the Sphinx.)

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jenn8779

Just when it seems like there's nothing more to find, something like this is discovered. Truly an amazing find!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
susieice

They think it's intact also. That hasn't happened that I'm aware of since Tut. This should be really interesting.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Caspian Hare

By the way I wrote "fifth century" by mistake but I meant "fifth dynasty." Can some site staff change the title for me please

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nukuson

Yes, I've seen that on the TV in news today. Don't remember which channel was it, but either RÚV or Stöð 2.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
glorybebe

It would be a dream come true to see it first hand!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silver Surfer

The start of that video horrifies me... they just let a whole bunch of people in with cameras.. so close to be pressing up against the wall. Where is the respect for preservation...

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Jon the frog

WOW !That's the find of a lifetime sought by a lot of archaeologist !

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword

Can you imagine discovering such a thing? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Susanc241

Fascinating as this is (and yes, I did watch Tony Robinson's shows recently) it does make me wonder if we are any better than the tomb raiders of yesteryear.  Admittedly, finds are now preserved and a lot put in museums for display and not sold off to private dealers/collectors, nor gold melted down regardless of what the object was.  At the end of the day, this is someone’s tomb (maybe several people).  This tomb had evaded looting by historical tomb raiders and here we are doing just that.  Makes me a bit uncomfortable (and I am in no way religious). :(

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
third_eye
36 minutes ago, Susanc241 said:

Fascinating as this is (and yes, I did watch Tony Robinson's shows recently) it does make me wonder if we are any better than the tomb raiders of yesteryear.

At least nowadays there is no more setting off dynamite sticks for the sake of science

~

36 minutes ago, Susanc241 said:

 

 Admittedly, finds are now preserved and a lot put in museums for display and not sold off to private dealers/collectors, nor gold melted down regardless of what the object was.  At the end of the day, this is someone’s tomb (maybe several people).  This tomb had evaded looting by historical tomb raiders and here we are doing just that.  Makes me a bit uncomfortable (and I am in no way religious). :(

In a way this is what preservation of History has been reduced to, if this is not done then sooner or later someone will get to it one way or another, which could mean nobody will have any idea of its existence ever

~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Myles
3 hours ago, Susanc241 said:

Fascinating as this is (and yes, I did watch Tony Robinson's shows recently) it does make me wonder if we are any better than the tomb raiders of yesteryear.  Admittedly, finds are now preserved and a lot put in museums for display and not sold off to private dealers/collectors, nor gold melted down regardless of what the object was.  At the end of the day, this is someone’s tomb (maybe several people).  This tomb had evaded looting by historical tomb raiders and here we are doing just that.  Makes me a bit uncomfortable (and I am in no way religious). :(

I've thought about the same several times.   People that do it for their own interest or profit are referred to as grave robbers.   People who do it for a Universities interest or profit are not called grave robbers.   Someone on here once gave me a span that they thought is an acceptable time to wait before digging up a grave for research.   I want to say it was around 100 years if it was funded by a "credible" source.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword

Excavation of 6000 year old tombs for research purposes is not only not grave robbery it will ultimately help to preserve the artifacts. Despite the fact that this tomb has been sealed for millennia you can see from the photos that things are decaying and falling apart. Now the items will be put into the hands of preservationists which might ensure their survival for thousands of more years and enable humans to see examples of the very earliest parts of their civilization far into the future.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Myles
19 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Excavation of 6000 year old tombs for research purposes is not only not grave robbery it will ultimately help to preserve the artifacts. Despite the fact that this tomb has been sealed for millennia you can see from the photos that things are decaying and falling apart. Now the items will be put into the hands of preservationists which might ensure their survival for thousands of more years and enable humans to see examples of the very earliest parts of their civilization far into the future.

Playing devils advocate.  :D

What if an archeologist digs something up and preserves it in his own home for his own interests and enjoyment.   Is he a grave robber?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paperdyer

I always am amazed how advanced the Egyptians were while using pictures to communicate.  We have a hard time trying to decipher them. Can you imagine, if our civilization completely crumbles and the new great civilization tries to read our icons and emojies?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.