Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The psychological power of the toys we keep

Still Waters

Infants often find comfort in ‘transitional objects’ that help them on the path to independence. Guardian readers discuss the security blankets and teddies they have held close.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/dec/12/still-have-childhood-teddy-psychological-power-toys-we-keep

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I have nothing left over from my childhood.

Me neither. Except fond memories of my Commodore 64.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I have nothing left over from my childhood.

I have no physical objects from my childhood either.   However, and I have no personal memories of this either...only stories...when I was like four years old...for Christmas that year...I got a guitar and a punching bag. 

It was a blow up punching bag and my Dad says he had to go outside, clear the snow, and thaw the frozen sand of West Texas to put inside the bottom of it.  Apparently I was confusing banjos and guitars and I carried my little guitar around everywhere...referring to it as my Banjar.

Interestingly enough...while I don't have any childhood items...I do have several guitars and a punching/kicking bag in my garage.  

3 minutes ago, joc said:

I have no physical objects from my childhood either.   However, and I have no personal memories of this either...only stories...when I was like four years old...for Christmas that year...I got a guitar and a punching bag. 

It was a blow up punching bag and my Dad says he had to go outside, clear the snow, and thaw the frozen sand of West Texas to put inside the bottom of it.  Apparently I was confusing banjos and guitars and I carried my little guitar around everywhere...referring to it as my Banjar.

Interestingly enough...while I don't have any childhood items...I do have several guitars and a punching/kicking bag in my garage.  

Like I said I've got nothing. I don't really "collect" anything either. My childhood was boring for the most part. Most of my toys were given to my younger cousin. So, meh. I'm just not attached to material things. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Like I said I've got nothing. I don't really "collect" anything either. My childhood was boring for the most part. Most of my toys were given to my younger cousin. So, meh. I'm just not attached to material things. 

In my attic there are literally boxes and boxes and boxes of mostly all of my daughter's childhood stuff.   Periodically she and her Mom would go through and decide what stuff she wanted to give away and what she wanted to keep....she kept alot!   I have no idea why we have so much crap in the attic...my daughter doesn't even probably remember most of it as she is now an adult.  

15 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

Actually...looking around...I do have a small brass bell that my grandparents brought back from the Holy Lands.   I think it came from Jerusalem.  My 'equivalent memory' to your Commodore 64 was a portable cassette player.  Changed my entire world!

7 hours ago, joc said:

Actually...looking around...I do have a small brass bell that my grandparents brought back from the Holy Lands.   I think it came from Jerusalem.  My 'equivalent memory' to your Commodore 64 was a portable cassette player.  Changed my entire world!

I had loads of fun with tape recorders too. Besides the obvious (making mix tapes) I also learned to speak backwards. I would record a short sentence, and then open the cassette and flip the spools. Damn that was interesting :D

• Haha 1

I have a bear. His name is Sad Bear. I named him when I was just learning to talk, so I don't know why I named him that. He was a gift from my dad's best friend, before I was born. I still have him, he sits on a bookshelf and keeps night demons away. And sometimes, my cat cuddles with him.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a couple of things from my childhood that I would be genuinely sad if something happened to them. For the most part though I couldn't care less about material possessions.

• 1 month later...

A bit late but..I don't have anything form my childhood anymore but now I collect new toys.

Right now I have six plushies and a figurine from the "Bendy and the Ink Machine" official store plus a couple of stuffed animals my dad gave me when he visited Switzerland years ago.

One is a mouse, a hedgehog and a ferret.

I may be an adult but I guess I still have the mind of a kid....:)

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:44 PM, sci-nerd said:

They have started selling them again you know.

I think I must have been about 8 when I got mine, How I miss waiting 10 minutes for a game to load via cassette tape only to discover it got an error lol.

• Haha 1