Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atlantis existed?

Nukuson

So, there are evidences of interaction between North African and American peoples - for instance, the pyramids, the long-shaped skulls, even such simple things as "afro-caribbean hair" - which suggests that Africans and Caribbean are genetically related.

Now, the fact that they found the long skulls on Antarctica. It's still not a proof - they could get there some other way, or that story could have been fake - even if there was a living scientist that discovered them, Antarctica is the right place for forging archaeological discoveries, isn't it?

Anyway, there are no written stories of contact between Americans and Mediterraneans - apart from the Atlantis ones. So, it would be easier to believe that Atlantis really existed, rather than that it's just a legend.

And, the DNA matters. In chromosome Y, the R1 haplogroup is common both in Europeans and Native Americans. What makes matters even better, in Europe, it is most common in and around Poland - which could suggest an exclusive contact between Native Americans and Slavs in prehistory?

Additionally, a written manuscript in Sumerian language was found in south America - which proves that there was a contact between Middle East and Americas.

So, myself, I'd say that Atlantis was a real thing. 

Any sources on these eh suggested claims? Preferably peer reviewed sources?

• Like 1

Links or sources please?

6 minutes ago, Nukuson said:

Anyway, there are no written stories of contact between Americans and Mediterraneans - apart from the Atlantis ones. So, it would be easier to believe that Atlantis really existed, rather than that it's just a legend.

I don't understand the logic of this statement. Also, what written stories do we have from Atlantis?

The Antartica skull was a hoax: https://www.*** blocked ***/news/weird/693091/The-shocking-claim-mystery-skulls-found-in-Antarctica-could-be-from-aliens

The pyramids were used for TOTALLY different purposes, in Egypt they were tombs while in Mexico they were focal points for ritual.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

in Egypt they were tombs while in Mexico they were focal points for ritual.

I could be mistaken, but weren't some of the South American pyramids used as tombs? 

7 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

I could be mistaken, but weren't some of the South American pyramids used as tombs? 

Some were, but I've read a number of articles hypothesising that the likes of Caral had 'protectors' buried alive. 

So they weren't really tombs. 

Edited by danydandan

They were, to the 'protectors'.... :D

• Haha 2

One day, I’m going to go insane and just start tattooing “Use the Damn Search Function” on the backs of the eyelids of all new posters. 

—Jaylemurph

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

7 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

One day, I’m going to go insane and just start tattooing “Use the Damn Search Function” on the backs of the eyelids of all new posters. 

—Jaylemurph

Give over!

We all know your already insane.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Nukuson said:

So, there are evidences of interaction between North African and American peoples - for instance, the pyramids, the long-shaped skulls, even such simple things as "afro-caribbean hair" - which suggests that Africans and Caribbean are genetically related.

Now, the fact that they found the long skulls on Antarctica. It's still not a proof - they could get there some other way, or that story could have been fake - even if there was a living scientist that discovered them, Antarctica is the right place for forging archaeological discoveries, isn't it?

And, the DNA matters. In chromosome Y, the R1 haplogroup is common both in Europeans and Native Americans. What makes matters even better, in Europe, it is most common in and around Poland - which could suggest an exclusive contact between Native Americans and Slavs in prehistory?

Additionally, a written manuscript in Sumerian language was found in south America - which proves that there was a contact between Middle East and Americas.

No, Antarctica has been covered by ice for longer than humans have existed. 

Learn something about genetics before you mangle it on an internet forum. Especially since the bold portion is embarrassingly wrong. 

cormac

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Give over!

We all know your already insane.

No, no, no, he is 'alternatively sane'

• Haha 3

59 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Well, perhaps “meant to be tombs and meant to be temples” because one has had bodies uncovered in it, and the other hasn’t - and it wasn’t the tomb.

OP went all over the continents, and in the end said, 'so, there is an Atlantis'

Maybe I drink too much. Or not enough!? :huh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

8 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

OP went all over the continents, and in the end said, 'so, there is an Atlantis'

Maybe I drink too much. Or not enough!? :huh:

Impossible, he never went to Greenland.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Nukuson said:

What long skulls on Antarctica? Link to scientific journal please?

23 hours ago, Nukuson said:

Welcome to UM, Nukuson. I've read your OP and wish to add a few comments, but it does concern me that you more or less posted the OP and then disappeared. There are a number of posts issuing challenges to your OP. Do you wish to address them?

First, there really isn't evidence of interaction between the two hemispheres in ancient times. Such an idea was popular many, many years ago but hods no merit in modern scholarship. It is really only questionable fringe writers who entertain the idea today. The introduction of African DNA to the Caribbean  has occurred in relatively modern times (recent centuries) but not in ancient times. Do you have a link to provide sufficient research that might support your idea.

Long skulls have not been found in Antarctica, nor have any ancient human remains as far as I know. I'd ask you to supply your source for this, but it's going to be wrong anyway. Antarctica has been encased in ice for millions of years, long before modern humans even existed. In sum total Antarctica would be a very poor source for archaeological investigation due to its very limited scope for human activity, but it's a rich source for numerous other sciences.

The Atlantis story has nothing at all to do with the Western Hemisphere or its history. The Plato was invented by the Classical Greek philosopher Plat, and he  is detailed in describing its placement outside the Pillars of Hercules. It is therefore a Greek story from start to finish. Have you even read Plato's dialogs? 

DNA is not my strong suit so I'd leave this to those who know the information better than most of us—namely cormac. I believe he's already commented, above.

This is most definitely wrong. The Sumerians were not even ocean goers. Why would they venture to the other side of the planet? Care to share your source?

Many here do, and they continue to be wrong. One fo the main failings is that they don't even know Plato's work and therefore stray comically and wildly from the details he himself provides in his allegory.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Lord Harry said:

What long skulls on Antarctica? Link to scientific journal please?

Perhaps this is a reference to seal bones? :lol:

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Yes the Poles are famous for their explorations

Well ...  There was Marco Polo ...

• Haha 1

Thanks, History Channel. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/15/2018 at 6:40 PM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

The Antartica skull was a hoax: https://www.*** blocked ***/news/weird/693091/The-shocking-claim-mystery-skulls-found-in-Antarctica-could-be-from-aliens

The pyramids were used for TOTALLY different purposes, in Egypt they were tombs while in Mexico they were focal points for ritual.

Well, Sir Sir, here is not the time and place to get into a sub thread on the topic but there is no real evidence that the Egyptian pyramids were used as tombs.

I am going to do a thread in here soon, I hope that brings into question the "WHY's" and "HOW's" of the Egyptian pyramids. There is no obvious answer, as to WHY the pyramids, IMO.

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Like 1

I'm not one to take Plato's tale of Atlantis literally, but there is a certain interesting passage in the Timaios:

'The island was larger than Libya and Asia together, and was the way to other islands, and from the islands you might pass to the whole of the opposite continent which surrounds the true ocean; for this within the straits is only a harbor, having a narrow entrance, but that other is the real sea, and the surrounding land may most truly called a continent.'

The 'straits' referred to appear to be the narrow passage at the western end of the Mediterranean Sea (The Pillars of Herakles) and the 'harbor' to the Mediterranean, itself. 'The opposite continent' across the 'true ocean' bears a marked resemblance to North and South America, and the way that they more or less surround the Atlantic Ocean.

How was Plato, whose geographical knowledge is supposed to have barely reached the Straits of Gibraltar and the western coast of Spain, in a position to describe the true scale of the Atlantic Ocean, relative to the Mediterranean Sea? How could he have known that a huge continent (actually North and South America, joined) surrounded this ocean?  

Good questions, Bison.

I wonder what their concept of Lybia and Asia were?  If the island is that big, it's not an island LOL