Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atlantis existed?

Nukuson

In 2011, a team of European geologists published evidence3 of moderately sized tsunamis hitting Santiago Island in Cape Verde, an archipelago country off the coast of Senegal. According to the paper, the events occurred around 100,000 years ago as the oceanic volcano Fogo gradually collapsed 55 kilometres away.

https://www.nature.com/news/island-boulders-reveal-ancient-mega-tsunami-1.18485

11 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

Actually it was a story told to him by Solon, who himself never seemed to write a single word about Atlantis. Solon evidently learned it from Egyptian priests who, no, never recorded the story in the first place.

In fact, it's worse than that.

Critias' grandfather heard Solon recite a poem about it when he was a child at the Feast of Apaturia. The story gets passed on until Critias hears it from his father.

Harte

• Like 2

I think despite all the dissection and theory about Plato's narrative, it should be taken at face value. Who was he? Was he a historian? Was he held as a great chronicler of ancient Greek and pre-Greek history/lore? No. So with that, and as decades (if not centuries) of scholars who have studied his works have all agreed that it is a political allegory.

Dovetailing back to the original post, there is no concrete and verifiable evidence of there ever being such a civilization. Regardless of the convoluted "connect the dots" games some new agers try.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Polar said:

IMG_20190119_110418.jpg

Look, it's the very first emoji!

>surprise< 

Turn it sideways.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Polar said:

Thanks for using risible theory...

IMG_20190119_110834.jpg

Use your words, Mario. Nobody understands the gibberish in your head, so nobody but you knows what point you’re trying to make. 

Actually, don’t. Nobody cares about the gibberish in your head, and nobody cares about the point you’re trying to make. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Trelane said:

Also, I think it should be noted that it's horribly dismissive of the civilizations that did emerge in the Americas.

How so?  Weren't the Americas' cultures based on obsidian weapons?  And plucking beating hearts out of living humans?  

Edited by atalante

32 minutes ago, atalante said:

How so?  Weren't the Americas' cultures based on obsidian weapons?  And plucking beating hearts out of living humans?  

Not all NA peoples were that way. 

cormac

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, atalante said:

*WTF* :blink:   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Piney said:

*WTF* :blink:   

Embarrassing, isn’t it? :(

cormac

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Embarrassing, isn’t it? :(

cormac

I've been tracking back looking for the context so I'm really.... :blink:

...lost on this one.... :wacko:

• Like 2

Uhm, isn't that SOUTH American cultures you are referring to?

Ya know, Incas, Aztecs, Toltecs, and Mayans?

Obviously much less civilized than the Europeans who waged wars for god, killing even those of their own faith and burning and hanging witches.

Edited by Jodie.Lynne
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

I've been tracking back looking for the context so I'm really.... :blink:

...lost on this one.... :wacko:

No discernible context I’ve seen. Just a blanket statement, which is never a good thing.

cormac

• Like 2

Atalante, if there's one thing I'd never expect from you, it's a racist and uninformed comment. You do realize we have Native Americans at UM.

If your comment was an attempt at humor, it missed the mark. I'm disappointed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Polar said:

In 2011, a team of European geologists published evidence3 of moderately sized tsunamis hitting Santiago Island in Cape Verde, an archipelago country off the coast of Senegal. According to the paper, the events occurred around 100,000 years ago as the oceanic volcano Fogo gradually collapsed 55 kilometres away.

https://www.nature.com/news/island-boulders-reveal-ancient-mega-tsunami-1.18485

Polar, please note that this says "around 100,000 years ago."  What can this possibly have to do with our discussion of Atlantis?

I suggest you depart this thread and start a new thread in a more appropriate forum at UM.

A more appropriate venue for you: https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/forum/136-earth-disasters-and-the-environment/

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Polar, please note that this says "around 100,000 years ago."  What can this possibly have to do with our discussion of Atlantis?

I suggest you depart this thread and start a new thread in a more appropriate forum at UM.

A more appropriate venue for you: anywhere but here.

I fixed that for you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I fixed that for you.

Sir Hat, you are a devilish rogue! 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I fixed that for you.

I should spank you harshly, sir. Best not to mess with a Mod's warning, especially not one that's so needed!

• Like 2

Just now, kmt_sesh said:

I should spank you harshly, sir. Best not to mess with a Mod's warning, especially not one that's so needed!

Yes mummy.

2 hours ago, atalante said:

No more than Christianity is based on raping, torturing and killing all non-Christians. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, atalante said:

Seriously??? Wow, truly in disbelief. My friends of the Iroquois Nation could teach you a few things historically. The Mods have addressed you so I won't.

3 hours ago, atalante said:

Yes of course all cultures in America were exactly alike.... :no:

I think you are refering to the Aztec civilisation, but they only lasted for about 200 years and covered only parts of modern Mexico. It's hardly fair to extrapolate the cultures of two continents based on a local example.

• Like 1