Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Speaking gibberish and trancing

Mehmaybeidunno

Disclaimer: no idea where to post this so please don't destroy me too bad.

I periodically go into what I would describe as a trance and begin speaking in "gibberish". 

I'm not religious and as far as I know I don't have any disorders, mental illness, etc.

The episodes used to happen when I wasn't feeling well or was stressed and now it appears to have the potential to happen any time. I've tried to lean into it and be open minded. I don't try to label or define it too much, but I'm very curious to hear opinions. I'm probably going to post a similar item in a psychology forum to get some varying kinds of opinions.

An episode generally starts with a specific feeling that I've come to recognize. A sort of euphoria, focus, and maybe a lack of focus at the same time if that makes any sense. I then start speaking/chanting various "words" with some repeating from episode to episode but mostly different sounding words each time. There are some emotional elements involved. Sometimes it's very emotionally charged,but other times it's more neutral.

The most interesting episode was fairly recently. I was driving on some particularly windy rural roads and it was pretty dark. The feeling began and this time I became hyper focused, the road and surroundings feeling a little sharper and more vivid. I slowed a fair amount speed wise for whatever reason while i was driving on a straight bit of road. I was leaning into it and speaking when coincidently a fairly large deer walked into the road, casually crossing slowly. Because I had decreased my speed prior I was able to stop quick enough to admire the situation and not destroy the deer, my car and possibly myself.

Additionally there is sometimes a visualization component, but I can't normally lean into it enough to reach that point unless it happens when I'm alone and in quiet place. It kinda feels like meditation.

The part of myself that loves fantasy and all manner of possibilities wants to know your opinion. What do you think?

Thank you for your reply. I've gone back and forth with the idea that it's stress related. It's easy to think you aren't stressed when you really are so that very well could be the case. Fortunately when it occurs if I just relax and go with it then I'm usually more zoned in and not in any danger of losing focus on the road or anything like that. The oddest part is that while I'll be perfectly able to focus on whatever I'm doing, I have a very strong compulsion to speak and only in gibberish. It takes a fair amount of effort to push past the compulsion which can be awkward of course.

Also, it feels quite cathartic once it passes if I've gone with the flow and not tried to ignore or resist the feelings and compulsion to speak. So stress or some sort of emotional release maybe? I do feel ok. There don't seem to be any other symptoms/odd things occurring.

First of All, I am a Intuitive Psychic. Now with that Said. First I Thought There was Something Was Wrong with You and that you Should go See A Doctor. But when I Read Your Last Post, I Found it Entrusting that you said it feels quite cathartic once it passes if I've gone with the flow and not tried to ignore or resist the feelings and compulsion to speak " That Tells me that Same Divine Being want You For Something. When you Meditate, I want you to Contact your Spirit Guide, And Ask Him Or Her. And be Open to what They Say.      

I appreciate your reply. I've read very little about spirit guides and I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to that concept, but it is interesting. How would I go about contacting my spirit guide?

4 hours ago, Mehmaybeidunno said:

How would I go about contacting my spirit guide?

Hi,

That question is almost always asked.

When you meditate. That is a good time to go about contacting your spirit guide. It is actually best if you firure out how to do that on your own. How best can such a thing be done for some one like you? The desire and the intent to make it happen is actually what makes it happen. For without that level of interest, any guidance you get to contact your spirit guide most likely will not work.

John

• Like 1

I think that you have gotten some interesting advice. Best was to listen to your feelings, and to your language during the episode. With any modern smart phone you should be able to record any future episodes you may have of the same kind. Perhaps what you call gibberish may actually be a foreign language not known to you, or perhaps an ancient language that is now considered dead, and also unknown by you.

If you can at least record your voice as you are gibbering, you could then first try some voice language translator to see if it's a recognized language. If not, then perhaps some occult source may be able to translate it, if it is one of the occult languages they are familiar with. It could be something meaningful that you are uttering during those episodes, but you just don't understand it. But coincidences sometimes are not coincidences. Because, as you perceived, if you had not had the episode, and still drove at normal speed, you could have possibly done damage to the deer, the car, and yourself. You have correctly self-assessed your episode, as far as a possible reason.

There are some Christians sects that considered gibberish as speaking in tongues. And apparently there are translators of this strange speaking under trance-like conditions. For example, in this video. And there are many more examples out there. If your recorded gibberish sounds like the gibberish recorded in the video, and your physical symptoms also resemble the gibberish speaker in the video, you may consider consulting that source.

It's called "glossolalia" and is sometimes interpreted as the deity of your religion (whichever one you follow) giving messages.

Medically, it's quite interesting and is apparently a stress-reducing behavior https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossolalia#Medical_research

There's also a book on it, partly available on Google books: https://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=ZURKAwAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PR13&dq=glossolalia&ots=ufPuaB4QNv&sig=Om1tPISHCZfRlTk9yOPPtCHnXTI#v=onepage&q=glossolalia&f=false

...and at least one doctoral dissertation (the author of which has kindly made it available to the English-reading world and has re-edited it to make it more accessible to the average reader) - note, please, that this is a Christian author from a more literalist sect and the topic is treated as a Christian experience (which is not true but the material's interesting anyway) : https://drtruthman.wordpress.com/the-psychological-aspects-of-glossolalia-in-contemporary-society/

Edited by Kenemet
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

If not, then perhaps some occult source may be able to translate it, if it is one of the occult languages they are familiar with.

:lol: 

@XenoFish  What the hell is a "Occult Language"? :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the replies. I've meditated on the situation and also tried to meditate while it's happening or while the feeling is still there even though the compulsion to speak is gone. I'll look more into spirit guides and maybe try meditating on that as well. Glossolalia is one of the things that I have read about previously. I'm not a religious person so I don't tend to believe that it's related any of the Christian beliefs, but I do try to stay open minded so you never know. The glossolalia info  that was posted is interesting for sure. I have tried the voice translating a couple times out of curiousity, but i didn't get any results.

15 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

Gibberish!

That's what I thought. :yes:

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Kenemet said:

It's called "glossolalia" and is sometimes interpreted as the deity of your religion (whichever one you follow) giving messages.

Medically, it's quite interesting and is apparently a stress-reducing behavior https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossolalia#Medical_research

There's also a book on it, partly available on Google books: https://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=ZURKAwAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PR13&dq=glossolalia&ots=ufPuaB4QNv&sig=Om1tPISHCZfRlTk9yOPPtCHnXTI#v=onepage&q=glossolalia&f=false

...and at least one doctoral dissertation (the author of which has kindly made it available to the English-reading world and has re-edited it to make it more accessible to the average reader) - note, please, that this is a Christian author from a more literalist sect and the topic is treated as a Christian experience (which is not true but the material's interesting anyway) : https://drtruthman.wordpress.com/the-psychological-aspects-of-glossolalia-in-contemporary-society/

Not appropriate for the young that may loitering or posting on this forum. What about the below average readers like me? Glossolalia? Perhaps just means a glossier way of speaking Yiddish, or is that Latin? Like Greek, it's all gibberish to me when I do not understand another language. My wife insists on gloss paint for the kitchen area, as she tells me that the cooking splashes are easier to remove from a glossy surface than a flat one. Color is optional, but a white surface is not appropriate for poor cooks, as the stains are difficult not to be noticed, if not removed immediately. And sometimes there is not enough time to immediately clean after having made a mess. 

But I do agree that this kind of talking has medical values, and reduces stress. I talk gibberish to my wife when I'm mad at her, that way she will not understand me, but I still get it off my chest, and that relaxes me. 

Is this related to the lingua franca? Medically speaking, of course.

• Haha 1

On 12/21/2018 at 11:45 PM, Mehmaybeidunno said:

How would I go about contacting my spirit guide?

You create them. As they are just a pipeline to your subconscious. 

• Like 2

On 12/21/2018 at 11:45 PM, Mehmaybeidunno said:

I appreciate your reply. I've read very little about spirit guides and I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to that concept, but it is interesting. How would I go about contacting my spirit guide?

What Xeno said. They are a "Thought Form" created by your mind to tap your inner self. 

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

Not appropriate for the young that may loitering or posting on this forum.

I'm fairly certain that there's nothing that I posted that's considered inappropriate... though if it is, please use the "report" function and report it to the admins and they'll remove it and explain to me what I did wrong.

I do try to keep a neutral tone, but I may fall off the rails sometimes.

What about the below average readers like me? Glossolalia? Perhaps just means a glossier way of speaking Yiddish, or is that Latin? Like Greek, it's all gibberish to me when I do not understand another language.

It is a term derived from two Greek root words, "glosso" (which means language) and "lalio" (which means to chatter or to prattle) and usage (English) dates to the late 1870's.  This link discusses its origin and includes a link to another scholarly work from 1970 that sounds interesting https://everipedia.org/wiki/lang_en/Glossolalia/

Is this related to the lingua franca? Medically speaking, of course.

No.  Lingua francas are actual actual languages that you can find taught in many courses (English, Latin, Spanish, Chinese, etc, etc).  They're intended for communication and have set vocabularies and speech units and structure and agreed-upon definitions for the words.  Glossolalia is a... personal set of sounds without standard meaning and structure.

Not to be confused with pidgin and creole.  There's a nice blog that explains the difference: https://www.weareteacherfinder.com/blog/difference-lingua-franca-pidgin-creole/

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kenemet said:

I'm fairly certain that there's nothing that I posted that's considered inappropriate... though if it is, please use the "report" function and report it to the admins and they'll remove it and explain to me what I did wrong.

I do try to keep a neutral tone, but I may fall off the rails sometimes.

It is a term derived from two Greek root words, "glosso" (which means language) and "lalio" (which means to chatter or to prattle) and usage (English) dates to the late 1870's.  This link discusses its origin and includes a link to another scholarly work from 1970 that sounds interesting https://everipedia.org/wiki/lang_en/Glossolalia/

No.  Lingua francas are actual actual languages that you can find taught in many courses (English, Latin, Spanish, Chinese, etc, etc).  They're intended for communication and have set vocabularies and speech units and structure and agreed-upon definitions for the words.  Glossolalia is a... personal set of sounds without standard meaning and structure.

Not to be confused with pidgin and creole.  There's a nice blog that explains the difference: https://www.weareteacherfinder.com/blog/difference-lingua-franca-pidgin-creole/