Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Building the Pyramid by floating the blocks

Will Due

image.png.3333c6b4682b44b0fc69fe50a073a130.png

Source

Easy enough to do. But where's your evidence that they did this?

Note that you can't just smear mercury onto the copper plate

But even if they did it that way, were are the mercury coated mirrors? Why do mirrors we have not have at least some mercury left on them?

Like I said, I see no evidence of this. Let me rephrase - I see no evidence of a copper-mercury amalgam (which is what the above results in.)

Harte

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, stereologist said:

How often do you want to be wrong? Indefinitely I suppose. The gold is being used to reflect IR. Are you suggesting that the AE's visual system was in the IR and not optical?

Everyone here but you seems to understand that gold is not a material used to effectively reflect optical wavelengths.

The mirrors are NOT gold leaf covered. The gold was placed on the blanks using deposition.

IR  is the heat part of light spectrum  are you that uninformed. 

6 minutes ago, Howard West 2 said:

5c2a1ff238e9e_goldfoil.png.9eed0ba376b13fc013bb259b4b1a08f1.png

The Egyptian gold mirror used gold leaf on polished copper. Gold leaf can be hammered so thin that a stack of golf leaf of 7000 sheets would be thinner than a dime.

So thin you can see through it. NASA uses gold as Sun Screen on its space helmets. Therefore the cost of gold in the Egyptian gold mirror would be small a very tiny gold coin beaten down   to cover many mirrors.

5c2a22133268e_goldennasavisor.jpg.e22e342f329d18d777dde93badb280dc.jpg

The gold on the helmet is not a mirror. It is a protective layer that has been applied using deposition. The Sun screen as you call it addresses particles not in the optical wavelengths.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Howard West 2 said:

Please tell NASA of that gold is not good for reflecting sun shine! They have put countless amounts of gold in to space to do that.You could have saved them millions

5c292f5480ba5_121aaaaaaamirror.jpg.6ec0e9364948dfdda8ec5c5b0f59b916.jpg5c292e1f55def_nasagold.png.3b77f0f46f433e963f3a85f97653da8e.png

Please someone tell Howard West that the gold is for reflecting infrared, not sunshine. The James Webb telescope operates in the infrared. The gold coating is applied to a an existing finely polished mirror to vastly improve it's reflectivity in the infrared wavelengths.

Sorry, James, but NASA is far smarter than you.

Once a mirror segment's final shape is corrected for any imaging effects due to cold temperatures, and polishing is complete, a thin coating of gold is applied. Gold improves the mirror's reflection of infrared light.

Some Technical Details: How is the gold applied to the mirrors? The answer is vacuum vapor deposition. Quantum Coating Incorporated did the coatings on our telescope mirrors. Essentially, the mirrors are put inside a vacuum chamber and a small quantity of gold is vaporized and it deposits on the mirror. Areas that we don't want coated (like the backside and all the mechanisms and such) are masked-off. Typical thickness of the gold is 1000 Angstroms (100 nanometers). A thin layer of amorphous SiO2 (glass) is deposited on top of the gold to protect it from scratches in case of handling or if particles get on the surface and move around (the gold is pure and very soft).

Source

Also, please tell Howard that Google exists.

Harte

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Howard West 2 said:

I now that which is why I wrote optical wavelength. You probably did not understand term. Sorry to speak above your limited knowledge. Optical means the light we see.

The mirrors you posted were designed to reflect in a part of the spectrum which we humans do not detect with our eyes, the infrared. Once again your posts are based on a lack of understanding.

• Like 2

As I pointed out and Harte has taken the time to discuss the details, deposition was used to apply the gold to the mirrors, not gold leaf as Howard West stated.

4 minutes ago, Harte said:

image.png.3333c6b4682b44b0fc69fe50a073a130.png

Source

Easy enough to do. But where's your evidence that they did this?

Note that you can't just smear mercury onto the copper plate

But even if they did it that way, were are the mercury coated mirrors? Why do mirrors we have not have at least some mercury left on them?

Like I said, I see no evidence of this. Let me rephrase - I see no evidence of a copper-mercury amalgam (which is what the above results in.)

Harte

Let us say you you had a bright shiny mercury mirror. After a time you run out of mercury. And the mercury oxidizes dulling the surface. so you polish it again and again and a again.... After a time the mercury will be Polished a way.

15 minutes ago, Howard West 2 said:

So are x-rays, so the Ancient Egyptians must have originally come from Krypton.

Harte

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Howard West 2 said:

Let us say you you had a bright shiny mercury mirror. After a time you run out of mercury. And the mercury oxidizes dulling the surface. so you polish it again and again and a again.... After a time the mercury will be Polished a way.

Perhaps you should try and see if the surfaces of these mirrors have ever been chemically analyzed.

You might find something there to chew on.

At the moment, you got nothing.

Come to think of it, why haven't you already done that?

Don't tell me that you have, but didn't like what you found!

Harte

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stereologist said:

As I pointed out and Harte has taken the time to discuss the details, deposition was used to apply the gold to the mirrors, not gold leaf as Howard West stated.

I think he was talking about the mirror being made at the source he used. That's probably a quote from that page.

The source is calling this particular mirror the "Egyptian Mirror."

Harte

18 minutes ago, Howard West 2 said:

Doubtful. The surfaces of the materials would have had imperfections that would hold detectable trace mercury. Such traces are easily detected by electron probe microscopes, the same devices that determine the types of alloys a metal is composed of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_microprobe

Such devices have been in common usage to determine such problems as why a chip failed to  be properly manufactured.

Edited by stereologist
Added information
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Howard West 2 said:

Look at this Howard.^ Look at what you wrote.^

Do you think a person using one of these mirrors would polish so much mercury off it that they could no longer use the mirror?

If they did that, would you postulate that they then kept right on polishing it (without being able to use it) until ALL the mercury was gone?

And then never got it resurfaced?

Harte

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Howard West 2 said:

Sorry wrong again These are Gold leaf covered Mirror,

Nobody uses gold leaf for a reflecting surface.

I know you've never handled the stuff (I have; artists use it occasionally) but it's really not shiny.  Heck, just google 'gold leaf' and you will see that it wrinkles like crazy (you have to be careful how you breathe on it) and it isn't that shiny, even when you've gotten it placed on a surface and have buffed it to its brightest shine.  Silver reflects visible light much more accurately and it's easier to polish to a bright surface.

Bememo 100 Sheets Imitation Gold Leaf for Arts, Gilding Crafting, Decoration, 5.5 by 5.5 Inches

• Like 1

I certainly can't say I've seen or read about every known mirror from ancient Egypt so perhaps on occasion they experimented, but the majority of known ancient Egyptian mirrors were simply polished disks of metal, typically bronze. I know of no residues such as gold leaf or mercury, which would be in evidence. They were polished metal disks, just like the ones we display in our museum.

Period. End of story.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

I know of no residues such as gold leaf or mercury, which would be in evidence. They were polished metal disks, just like the ones we display in our museum.

Period. End of story.

Just pictures of them. Where the Story starts   However, this forum  posters refuse to go there. So I will no longer waste my time here.

5c2b7e2c4a829_138a1c1janhk.JPG.e2bc00f58beb0a1aafac50ec9d9bd85f.JPG

•  
  •  

42 bit Karnak Aten pic 2.jpg

Edited by Howard West 2
clean up junk from unknow origen

50 minutes ago, Howard West 2 said:

Just pictures of them. Where the Story starts   However, this forum  posters refuse to go there. So I will no longer waste my time here.

•  
  •  

I notice your avatar.  Were your pistols already loaded for a shootout when you arrived?  Are you a belligerent fellow? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Howard West 2 said:

Just pictures of them. Where the Story starts   However, this forum  posters refuse to go there. So I will no longer waste my

This is a modern artist's imagination of a scene, and they've gotten some things wrong.  And THIS is your evidence along with a carefully trimmed image from a papyrus (which has writing around it that immediately disproves that what you see is a mirror of any sort)?

I take it that we've now gone away from your claim that you can read hieroglyphs (which is where this started, as I recall.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Howard West 2 said:

2 hours ago, Howard West 2 said:

For  who forgot where the pictures came from  who always change what  present.

Oh.  You've popped in again.

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Howard West 2 said:

Unsupported speculation and imagination coupled with self promotion.

3 hours ago, Howard West 2 said:

They're still wrong.  One is a piece of modern art from a modern artist and there are a number of historical inaccuracies in the painting.  The second is from the first part of the Papyrus of Ani, right after the prayer to Re and it shows Isis and Nepthys adoring some of the symbols of Re as the baboons of Thoth welcome the sun.

You really shouldn't rely on Youtube videos for information.

8 hours ago, Howard West 2 said:

•  
  •  

*Snip*

You must understand pharaonic iconography before grabbing onto something. This is not a mirror. It's almost certainly a scene from a tomb wall. It shows a personified djed pillar holding up a sun disk. The goddesses Isis (left) and Nephthys are venerating the sun. The baboons higher up are doing the same. Deities are not likely to be praying to a mirror. The deceased interred in the tomb was associated with the sun, which experiences new life every single day; therefore, by association, so does the soul of the deceased. This is Egyptology 101.

The other image you showed is a modern artist's rendition, so I snipped it and won't comment on it.

If you choose to leave the discussion, it's entirely on you. No one is forcing you to leave. You really don't understand ancient Egypt, so you must not try to make it seem like you do. We will see through it right away. Spend real time studying the ancient culture, the language, the icons, and come back to us. You're dealing with people who are very familiar with these studies.

4 hours ago, Kenemet said:

I take it that we've now gone away from your claim that you can read hieroglyphs (which is where this started, as I recall.)

Yeah, that part of the discussion fizzled out. He never "translated" the full offering formula you posted.

On 12/31/2018 at 8:21 AM, Kenemet said:

Nobody uses gold leaf for a reflecting surface.

I know you've never handled the stuff (I have; artists use it occasionally) but it's really not shiny.  Heck, just google 'gold leaf' and you will see that it wrinkles like crazy (you have to be careful how you breathe on it) and it isn't that shiny, even when you've gotten it placed on a surface and have buffed it to its brightest shine.  Silver reflects visible light much more accurately and it's easier to polish to a bright surface.

Bememo 100 Sheets Imitation Gold Leaf for Arts, Gilding Crafting, Decoration, 5.5 by 5.5 Inches

Wonderful to meet someone else who has worked with glorious gold leaf. It's incredibly fragile, stinks, will wrinkle if you look at it sideways, stinks, and while fairly easy to do, is difficult to do properly. Did I mention it stinks while curing? The stench is so bad that, after opening all the windows in your house, you want to go to the neighbors and open all the windows in their house to get the smell out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, khazarkhum said:

Wonderful to meet someone else who has worked with glorious gold leaf. It's incredibly fragile, stinks, will wrinkle if you look at it sideways, stinks, and while fairly easy to do, is difficult to do properly. Did I mention it stinks while curing? The stench is so bad that, after opening all the windows in your house, you want to go to the neighbors and open all the windows in their house to get the smell out.

LOL That's hilarious. I have very limited experience but have worked with gold leaf. I honestly don't remember any odor. I just remember worrying that if someone in the next town coughed or sneezed, I'd have the stuff swirling in the air everywhere.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2