Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Building the Pyramid by floating the blocks

Will Due

17 minutes ago, cladking said:

Why “α” triangles in the Great Pyramid have not been noticed till now? One explanation could be the fact that: what we know affects our visual perception of the world. A very good example of it is the “AERA” cover photo of the Annual Report 2010-2011.

What never changes is peoples' unwillingness and inability to see the truth even when it's put in front of their eyes.  

The facts don't matter when your mind is made up. 

I think you're missing a citation there...

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Like 2

On 1/13/2019 at 8:06 AM, Harte said:

If I remember correctly, there was no star that was due north at that time. But a line through two of the handful of stars circling the pole would locate it.

There were two of those stars that were exactly vertical to each other, so a plumb line could have been used.

Easier to align it exactly east-west though, and then you end up with north-south alignment, as long as you keep the building square.

Harte

No stars needed if you just put a stick in the ground and mark two spots on the ground where the end passes during the day. 100% accurate way to find north. Not necessarily "magnetic" north though.

But then the Ancient Egyptians wouldn't use sticks and the sun now would they? They'd only use the stars on a dark lightless plateau at night to find north. :blink:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

You've been saying that for almost fifteen years.

This might be a wise statement, but you appear never to have understood the basic facts anyway.

I was about to post much the same. :tu: :tu:

1 hour ago, DieChecker said:

No stars needed if you just put a stick in the ground and mark two spots on the ground where the end passes during the day. 100% accurate way to find north. Not necessarily "magnetic" north though.

That was why I said it would be easier to align East-West.

1 hour ago, DieChecker said:

But then the Ancient Egyptians wouldn't use sticks and the sun now would they? They'd only use the stars on a dark lightless plateau at night to find north. :blink:

The aliens never told them about sticks.

Harte

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, DieChecker said:

We call them 'obelisks' .  The Ancient Egyptians were fully engaged with the sky, both day and night. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, M. Williams said:

We call them 'obelisks' .  The Ancient Egyptians were fully engaged with the sky, both day and night. 

The earliest obelisks on record date to the Middle Kingdom.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 1/21/2019 at 2:57 PM, Piney said:

Roman cement, and it was only better because of a specific type of limestone used. 

If your referring to the Roman Seawalls still standing a good part of that is the pumice used as an aggregate. Interestingly as the ocean slowly dissolved the mortar particles within the aggregate mineral deposits formed within those microscopic voids forming a stinger substance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kmt_sesh said:

The earliest obelisks on record date to the Middle Kingdom.

When is the benben stone first referenced ? That's what an obelisk and a pyramid are.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, M. Williams said:

When is the benben stone first referenced ? That's what an obelisk and a pyramid are.

Don't know. That would be a good thing to dig up. When it was first referenced, i mean. It's long gone, of course.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Don't know. That would be a good thing to dig up. When it was first referenced, i mean. It's long gone, of course.

Romer points out this striking feature at Giza...

I'd also suggest the pairs of obelisks and the layout lines chiseled in the floor at Karnak is evidence of their use as gnomons. Where the shadows of two obelisks on an east west axis meet is due north.

Edited by M. Williams

@M. Williams, come to think of it, I'd have to say the oldest references to the ben ben come from the Pyramid Texts. I'd also say the Dynasty 5 solar tem[;es were manifestations of the ben ben. This is me spitballing, mind you.

5 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Finally talking ancient Egypt. Love this stuff. do it!!

What? Are you telling me there's something else to discuss than Atlantis?

26 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Bang zoom!   We only have two Atlantis threads running right now. Not that there's anything wrong with Atlantis as a subject matter, but puhLEASE Louise! :wacko:

How ya been, KMT?  Out paths don't cross often because of the dearth of good Egyptology threads.  Say, KMT... :huh:    lol

3 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

@M. Williams, come to think of it, I'd have to say the oldest references to the ben ben come from the Pyramid Texts. I'd also say the Dynasty 5 solar tem[;es were manifestations of the ben ben. This is me spitballing, mind you.

Wasn't that New Kingdom? They were still making pyramids, but they were tiny little things by then, right?

3 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

GREENLAND!!!!!!

GEYSERS!!!!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

There is a reconstructed pyramidion next to the Red Pyramid . Its inclination is different than the pyramid. I reckon it was removed from a pyramid now incorporated inside the Red Pyramid. 

Also, Heliopolis is called 'Pillar City' in ancient Egyptian.  When is that first mentioned ? A name with an obvious relationship to obelisks. There were no doubt earlier obelisks in Heliopolis , but we'll never know ,as it was mostly destroyed. 

17 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Wasn't that New Kingdom? They were still making pyramids, but they were tiny little things by then, right?

Wasn't what the New Kingdom? The very last royal pyramid the Egyptians built was at the start of the New Kingdom, Dynasty 18, at Abydos. It was for Ahmose I. After that, into Dynasty 19, the occasional nobleman fitted a teeny pyramid atop the superstructure of his tomb.

25 minutes ago, Area69 said:

I think they blocked off each section with wood and poured in the blocks, kind of an ancient cement mixture. 

How'd they make the spaces between the blocks if they did that?

How is it that we can see that they leveled their work every dozen courses or so?

Maybe you should look at the Great Pyramid with your eyeballs:

16611551-closeup-detail-of-a-pyramid-giz

You were saying?

Harte

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/24/2019 at 4:11 PM, Harte said:

How'd they make the spaces between the blocks if they did that?

A very good point, sir. Another point people have made is, if the ancient Egyptians used cement with molds and forms, why are no two blocks alike? We're supposed to believe the ancients made over 2.3 million unique forms into which they placed their concrete?

The conclusion is, Davidovits's cement theory is nonsense. It's never been regarded as credible.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

A very good point, sir. Another point people have made is, if the ancient Egyptians used cement with molds and forms, why are no two blocks alike? We're supposed to believe the ancients made over 2.3 million unique forms into which they placed their concrete?

The conclusion is, Davidovits's cement theory is nonsense. It's never been regarded as credible.

If only there was some kind of evidence pointing to how and where they made the blocks. :innocent:

PDM_2011.01.18_193.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2019 at 9:08 PM, M. Williams said:

Obelisks, pyramids, and benben stones are three different things.  The word for obelisk (txn) is not the same as for benben or pyramid (mr).  The top stone on the pyramid was the benben and the pointy bit on the obelisk was a benben.  But the structures weren't benbens.   See Mark Vygus' - Dictionary of Ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphs

• Like 1

On 1/24/2019 at 3:40 PM, Area69 said:

I think they blocked off each section with wood and poured in the blocks, kind of an ancient cement mixture. 

I'm not sure that you've ever waited for cement to cure... but I can assure you that it's a slow process.  To fully cure the concrete in a house foundation (which is not that thick) you have to wait 1-2 months. 

Now...that's the length of time to cure a 6 inch thick foundation.

The stones of the first block are close to my height (I'm about 5'2"... so say 5'.)  That's 10 times 6 inches, and the thicker concrete is the longer it takes to dry (cure.)  So they would have to pour some concrete, move away, and not work in or around it for two months. So think about them pouring the first layer and spending months building the forms and mixing the concrete (where are you suggesting that they mix it?) and pouring it (by hand)... and then sending everyone home to wait until the concrete was dry.

Now, they couldn't get the farmers to work all year long (or Egypt would starve.)  So they would at maximum pour just one course of concrete per year.

There are 210 layers in the Great Pyramid: https://www.cheops-pyramide.ch/khufu-pyramid/stonecourses-pyramid.html

So the "concrete" idea means they'd have to spend 210 years building the thing.... in other words, from the time Khufu was king until after the collapse of the Old Kingdom.  And they'd spend about the same amount of time building the other two out of concrete, which means the whole project would have taken 300-400 years (assuming they work on the last two at the same time).

But we know that this didn't happen.

• Like 3