Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Building the Pyramid by floating the blocks

Will Due

4 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

Note:  I didn't look up the numbers but did that from memory.  10,000-20,000 in the seasonal workforce (that's what I get for relying on memory)... Wikipedia has a good article on the work and how it's constructed:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pyramid_of_Giza

Craig B. Smith's book is an excellent resource:

https://www.amazon.com/How-Great-Pyramid-Was-Built-ebook/dp/B076YZDMXC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1545968125&sr=8-6&keywords=craig+b+smith

• Like 3

I have that right here on my desk, and highly recommend it for anyone who is interested in a realistic explanation from an engineer's point of view.

• Like 1

I get it!! If I do not use your sources I am WRONG!!

Reminds me of an Invader of Egypt, Caliph Omar in the year 640 of the Christian era, Caliph Omar's army took the city of Alexandria, and upon learning of “a Great Library containing all the knowledge of the world” the conquering general asked Caliph Omar for instructions. The Caliph has been quoted as saying of the Library's holdings:

They will either contradict the Koran, in which case they are heresy, or they will agree with it, so they are superfluous so burn them.1

It was not just the leaders of Islam there was the Sanhedrin of the Jews, the Inquisition of the Catholic and lets not forget the Bible burners of Britain, and Nazi. The list goes on and on!!!

I Understand that there are Phonetic for most Egyptian Glyph. However, those same Glyph have other meanings.

17 minutes ago, Howard West 2 said:

Reminds me of an Invader of Egypt, Caliph Omar in the year 640 of the Christian era, Caliph Omar's army took the city of Alexandria, and upon learning of “a Great Library containing all the knowledge of the world” the conquering general asked Caliph Omar for instructions. The Caliph has been quoted as saying of the Library's holdings:

They will either contradict the Koran, in which case they are heresy, or they will agree with it, so they are superfluous so burn them.1

It was not just the leaders of Islam there was the Sanhedrin of the Jews, the Inquisition of the Catholic and lets not forget the Bible burners of Britain, and Nazi. The list goes on and on!!!

I Understand that there are Phonetic for most Egyptian Glyph. However, those same Glyph have other meanings.

Your reference link declares there's no such page or article.

And you don't need to inform us that the ancient Egyptian language is formidable and complex.  Honestly.  There are trained experts here who know that quite well.  Castigating them as academic tyrants does not really help one bit with your credibility, nor does twirling in obtuse retorts...

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, The Wistman said:

And you don't need to inform us that the ancient Egyptian language is formidable and complex.  Honestly.  There are trained experts here who know that quite well.  Castigating them as academic tyrants does not really help one bit with your credibility, nor does twirling in obtuse retorts...

Another reference link article removed by KNOWLEDGE Police!!  yes  academic tyrants and  religious remove links all the time!!! But that historical fact is that happened remains!!! I still have my encyclopedia and reference book.

Edited by Howard West 2

37 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Is there an echo in here?

YEP some people just will not listen the first time

Edited by Howard West 2

3 hours ago, Howard West 2 said:

Not at all. I'd wager there are plenty of excellent sources I've never used. No one can know them all. But what matters is the quality of the source. Who is the author? What is his education and training? What else has he written? Is he a respected historian and academic?

These are the things that matter. Don't go the lazy route and jump on the web. Chances are, a web page you find will be incorrect or just steeped in ridiculous woo. Unless it's a web page from a respected academic institution or university, it might well be suspect. Look at all the garbage that's out there right now. Anyone slapping together a web page can write pretty much whatever he wants, and there's no peer-review or editing.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Howard West 2 said:

YEP some people just will not listen the first time

You still have not tried to address or challenge any of the points or merits of the posts I've written. And if academic assessment of hieroglyphs is wrong, how exactly do you show that?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, The Wistman said:

I searched the site and there's no page there that confirms anything of what Howard is saying.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Howard West 2 said:

Another reference link article removed by KNOWLEDGE Police!!  yes  academic tyrants and  religious remove links all the time!!! But that historical fact is that happened remains!!! I still have my encyclopedia and reference book.

Nobody disputes that there was a land called Egypt, that they wrote in hieroglyphs (along with other writing systems) or that their writings are translateable or that the land was united or that they had a lot of symbols for things.

...and which encyclopedia is this you're using?  We've probably got copies around in a library or available online.  And which reference book?

BTW, your citation about the Library of Alexandria and Caliph Omar isn't correct.  The library was destroyed before that time.

Yes, and anyone who's studied hieroglyphs knows that since there's 2,000+ symbols and there's not enough sounds in all the human languages to match it.  What we're saying is that your "I can grok this by looking at it" approach is wrong.

BUT... all you have to do to prove yourself right is to get a bunch of texts (like the translators did) with pictures next to the texts (like the translators did, because the pictures illustrate what's in the texts) and then show that you can translate full paragraphs and it makes sense even if you bring those heiroglyphs to an image you've never seen before (like Hatshepsut's voyage to Punt) and it still makes sense.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Howard West 2 said:

Some glyphs can have different meanings, but context is key. If you know the script, you can tell which meaning is indicated. The same is true for glyphs that have different sound values according to use. Context is key.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Kenemet said:

I searched the site and there's no page there that confirms anything of what Howard is saying.

The site indicates that it had joined with OSU at some point in the past. The page was probably deleted then due to gross inaccuracies.

Harte

3 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

Some glyphs can have different meanings, but context is key. If you know the script, you can tell which meaning is indicated. The same is true for glyphs that have different sound values according to use. Context is key.

Precisely the same thing is true for any language. The same words have multiple meanings but have the same spelling.

Context is the only way of determining the meaning in those cases.

Harte

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Kenemet said:

• Haha 1

WTF dude?

That post was already responded to.

Can you not address those responses, or are you stuck on the "knowledge police" like some broken record?

Harte

On 12/26/2018 at 1:02 PM, Kenemet said:

So we can read things like this that the person who did the video can't.
image.png.233a3292599f2f243f6e2af115ec0dce.png

It's part of an inscription that appears in a lot of places (with lots of variations on names)...

Hieroglyphic  101  where a text starts to translate! Egyptian Ox turn text start at bottom right. But you people treat this as the second line of text translating from  the right. WHY DID YOU NOT STATE that THIS TEXT WAS AN EVEN NUMBERED LINE OF TEXT!  Maybe you missed the first day of class and you thought like many of you so called experts that all text read from  left like ENGLISH.  Pun intended you are a Cheetah

16 minutes ago, Howard West 2 said:

1 minute ago, Howard West 2 said:

Hieroglyphic  101  where a text starts to translate! Egyptian Ox turn text start at bottom right. But you people treat this as the second line of text translating from  the right. WHY DID YOU NOT STATE that THIS TEXT WAS AN EVEN NUMBERED LINE OF TEXT!  Maybe you missed the first day of class and you thought like many of you so called experts that all text read from  left like ENGLISH.  Pun intended you are a Cheetah

@Howard West 2 Please dial back the snark, it is annoying and not contributing to the discussion.

18 minutes ago, Howard West 2 said:

14 minutes ago, Harte said:

WTF dude?

That post was already responded to.

Can you not address those responses, or are you stuck on the "knowledge police" like some broken record?

Harte

The internet is like a living organism that KILLS what threatens it. Like Face Book, if a subject does not meet community standards most of those links are removed.

You saying you can't find what your dead link said anywhere on the internet?

I say that's bull.

At least you could recap what the link was supposed to tell us. If you do, maybe one of us will do your job for you and find you a website with the same claims.

Harte

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

@Howard West 2 Please dial back the snark, it is annoying and not contributing to the discussion.

Please tell the others insult me to do the same. Is it some how acceptable for them

14 minutes ago, Howard West 2 said:

None of us so-called experts think the text reads from left to right in all cases. That would be pretty stupid if ANYONE thought that, given thousands of examples like this:

the-egyptian-obelisk-of-theodosius-and-m

Harte

Edited by Harte
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Harte said:

You saying you can't find what your dead link said anywhere on the internet?

I say that's bull.

At least you could recap what the link was supposed to tell us. If you do, maybe one of us will do your job for you and find you a website with the same claims.

Harte

They will either contradict the Koran, in which case they are heresy, or they will agree with it, so they are superfluous so burn them.

8 minutes ago, Harte said:

None of us so-called experts think the text reads from left to right in all cases. That would be pretty stupid if ANYONE thought that, given thousands of examples like this:

Harte

However, out of the BLUE, I was to assume that text I was to translate read left to right . As if it a second line of text.

Edited by Howard West 2

7 minutes ago, Howard West 2 said:

Please tell the others insult me to do the same. Is it some how acceptable for them

The expectation is for everyone to behave in a civil and courteous manner. That said, copy/pasting the same inane statement and repeatedly SHOUTING in ALL CAPS is annoying so knock it off like I politely requested.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Howard West 2 said:

If you can't use a source for what you claim, then you need to expect people to not believe you.

Measured against what is known, and with no source provided, if you contradict established facts about glyphs you will always be considered to be wrong.

No source is how people make things up you know.

1 hour ago, Howard West 2 said:

They will either contradict the Koran, in which case they are heresy, or they will agree with it, so they are superfluous so burn them.

However, out of the BLUE, I was to assume that text I was to translate read left to right . As if it a second line of text.

Here's a little nugget of info for you - when written horizontally, the animals and human figures that appear in Egyptian Hieroglyphic text ALWAYS face toward the start of the text.

If you look at the text that's been discussed, it's plain to see which way to read it, if you keep that fact in mind.

Harte

• Like 3