Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
NightScreams

My wife's ghost photo

61 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

papageorge1
2 hours ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Guess your meter is broken @papageorge1 . This is why "most" of the times us non-believers don't jump to conclusions about the paranormal. Most of the time the answer is totally reasonable when naturally explained. I recently have seen a lot of people saying things to the extent of "Well, the sight is called Unexplained Mysteries!" Yes. It is. But that only means unexplained to certain people. Usually those people don't even bother to look at natural explanations first, or do any kind of research and continue to push unsubstantiated fantasy onto critical thinkers. I don't claim that the OP is lying or being deceitful, but with this EVIDENCE, it's pretty obvious that a flesh and blood human being was standing there casting a shadow and a reflection in the pool. 

 

PS - How far up did you have to reach up there to get the 66/34% claim?

How does a shadow or no shadow determine anything?? I don’t follow. Sounds like you’re jumping to a conclusion to me. I for one would only estimate likelihood which is still  the only reasonable approach at this point.

Mayhem, I suggest sticking to insurance commercials.

I would think a materialized or semi-materialized apparition would leave a shadow on water.

Edited by papageorge1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
onlookerofmayhem
38 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

How does a shadow or no shadow determine anything?? I don’t follow. Sounds like you’re jumping to a conclusion to me. I for one would only estimate likelihood which is still  the only reasonable approach at this point.

Mayhem, I suggest sticking to insurance commercials.

I would think a materialized or semi-materialized apparition would leave a shadow on water.

I will give you one concession. It may be a person or it may be an object that is very human-shaped in form. I'm by no means a photo expert, but I looked at the photo a few different ways and can't say 100% it is a person, but :

Since the cabana light are shining on the back of the person/object, it casts a full shadow/reflection of the person/object on the surface of the water. It suggests that a physical object was in that spot to create the effect. I'm not jumping to the conclusion. It is the only sane and rational explanation for the photo. I would like to know on what basis you have to come to a ratio of 66% probably paranormal. There is no reason what so ever to believe that. If I were to be so bold as to make my assumption, it would be more like 99% probably a person or person-shaped object that is in the image. With the other 1% being that the OP is lying about the photo. Which I have no reason to believe at the moment.

Again, what evidence do you have to show that a "materialized or semi-materialized apparition" would act in such a way? Nothing of the sort has ever been studied enough to make that assumption. I don't understand how you give such credence to pretty much every single paranormal claim that comes around.

I consider myself a skeptic because the only thing believers can come up with is BS explanations about "things we don't understand." Then stop making so many claims about knowing the details about such things. Ghosts, demon, spirits, fairies, aliens, bigfoot and countless other things should be discounted until there is some proof they exist. Yet somehow in peoples minds, because things are "possible", it means that the mundane answer can't be the most likely? Why is it so hard for you to believe that a person/person-shaped object is in the picture? What are the criteria for making it paranormal in this specific case?

Lastly, my suggestion to you is to go do some research into critical thinking skills.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papageorge1
9 hours ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

I will give you one concession. It may be a person or it may be an object that is very human-shaped in form. I'm by no means a photo expert, but I looked at the photo a few different ways and can't say 100% it is a person, but :

Since the cabana light are shining on the back of the person/object, it casts a full shadow/reflection of the person/object on the surface of the water. It suggests that a physical object was in that spot to create the effect. I'm not jumping to the conclusion. It is the only sane and rational explanation for the photo. I would like to know on what basis you have to come to a ratio of 66% probably paranormal. There is no reason what so ever to believe that. If I were to be so bold as to make my assumption, it would be more like 99% probably a person or person-shaped object that is in the image. With the other 1% being that the OP is lying about the photo. Which I have no reason to believe at the moment.

Again, what evidence do you have to show that a "materialized or semi-materialized apparition" would act in such a way? Nothing of the sort has ever been studied enough to make that assumption. I don't understand how you give such credence to pretty much every single paranormal claim that comes around.

I consider myself a skeptic because the only thing believers can come up with is BS explanations about "things we don't understand." Then stop making so many claims about knowing the details about such things. Ghosts, demon, spirits, fairies, aliens, bigfoot and countless other things should be discounted until there is some proof they exist. Yet somehow in peoples minds, because things are "possible", it means that the mundane answer can't be the most likely? Why is it so hard for you to believe that a person/person-shaped object is in the picture? What are the criteria for making it paranormal in this specific case?

Lastly, my suggestion to you is to go do some research into critical thinking skills.

My position on this case was based on:

1) The full story of this case based on all the textual information supplied by the OP person in this thread.

2) My conviction that the paranormal does exist and may be ‘rare’ but ‘not all that rare’. This from decades of interest in the subject.

3) I still give your claim a 34% chance of being correct. 99% sounds to me like someone with a strong anti-paranormal bias that I am so familiar with.

 

Positive points for you in trying a more adult approach in this last post than in your previous post.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
20 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

My conviction that the paranormal does exist

*confirmation bias*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ares_Zeusson

Nothing about that photo tells me that that's anything but a shadow person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not A Rockstar

Mmm. So now shadow persons cast shadows themselves.

Interesting.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papageorge1
1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

*confirmation bias*

No, the conclusion of objective unbiased analysis

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
23 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

No, the conclusion of objective unbiased analysis

 

Best joke I've heard in a long time. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ares_Zeusson
1 hour ago, Not A Rockstar said:

Mmm. So now shadow persons cast shadows themselves.

Interesting.

Why wouldn't they? Are you taking the term "shadow" to mean they are literal shadows? Shadow is a metaphor here. I'd hoped you would've known that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not A Rockstar
43 minutes ago, Ares_Zeusson said:

Why wouldn't they? Are you taking the term "shadow" to mean they are literal shadows? Shadow is a metaphor here. I'd hoped you would've known that.

ROFL. 

I do not grant you permission to have expectations of me. 

But, please do share your metaphors and obviously profound insight into the phenomenon of shadow people. You must have had many direct experiences with them to be so knowledgeable as all that, perhaps have even spoken with a few? I mean, if metaphors speak... perhaps a metaphor does not speak, now I think about it but then, do they cast shadows? 

Tsk, carry on. Silly me :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ares_Zeusson
37 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

I do not grant you permission to have expectations of me.

My bad! I'll try to gradually lower my expectations of you until I have none.

Are you sure you know what the word metaphor means?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.