Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Cornwall cliff collapse caught on camera

10 posts in this topic

Still Waters

Part of a cliff collapsing in Cornwall has been caught on camera by a woman out walking.

Deborah Smith was at Lynstone Road, Bude, when she said she noticed "some little bits going, then saw the rocks moving and quickly videoed it".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-cornwall-46514434/cornwall-cliff-collapse-caught-on-camera

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

ouija ouija

O.M.G.!!!! I don't think I would have stopped to film that ... I'd be running in the opposite direction! :o

(This is the north coast, I'm on the south, thank goodness).

edit to say: I can't stop watching it! Even though it makes me feel queasy.

Edited by ouija ouija
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

seanjo

Kinda confused, this is what happens because of erosion, it's natural it's been happening forever and will carry on happening forever. They don't put keep away from the edge or do not stand under the cliff signs out for nothing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ouija ouija

No one's saying it isn't natural, just that it would be scary to be near it when it was happening. :)

• Like 5

Still Waters
1 hour ago, seanjo said:

Kinda confused, this is what happens because of erosion, it's natural it's been happening forever and will carry on happening forever. They don't put keep away from the edge or do not stand under the cliff signs out for nothing.

It's more to do with the fact that she was there when it happened and caught it on camera.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

freetoroam
6 hours ago, Still Waters said:

"Deborah Smith was at Lynstone Road, Bude, when she said she noticed "some little bits going, then saw the rocks moving and quickly videoed it".

4 hours ago, Still Waters said:

It's more to do with the fact that she was there when it happened and caught it on camera.

Lynstone Road does not run along the cliff top. She is walking pretty close to the edge herself. You can see as she gets even closer to film it. 

Lets hope no one was beneath the cliff as it collapsed and lets hope no one was standing beneath the part she was on.

Being below is just as dangerous as walking along the top of it. She was taking a chance herself getting closer to edge just to get it on camera, we have these images on film already of cliffs collapsing, she should not have risked her life, she got too close herself!! 

There are warning signs all over the place. 

I go to Dorset twice a year and people still sit below the cliff face, even though there have been people who have died because they ignored the warning signs, they are either pretty stupid or think they are immortal. And there ARE signs warning people not to do it. 

This is where we go (below link) and even now, people still sit below cliff face, we saw one family setting up a picnic right next to the cliffface, they had children with them. They did eventually move, but they should never have been there in the first place:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk/2012/jul/25/woman-dies-cliff-collapses-dorset

Here is the sort of thing you can see often , people ignoring the warning signs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

susieice

That was a huge chunk that fell! I'd be terrified if that happened in front of me! Sounds like this is common. Why does the cliff face just break off like that? 

freetoroam
50 minutes ago, susieice said:

That was a huge chunk that fell! I'd be terrified if that happened in front of me! Sounds like this is common. Why does the cliff face just break off like that? 

The reason there are signs along the coastal.paths is because it does happen. The cliffs are part of years of erosion and collapses.

We hear about it more about the houses because over the years finally the sea has washed away the land to end up with the house on the edge and finally in the sea.

Its been happening for centuries +, what is not 'nornal' is people still walking along the edge or infront of the cliffface, and today there are warning signs.

The lady who took that video was too close to the edge herself. 

Have a look at these,  time to move. :o

Edited by freetoroam
  • Thanks 1

susieice
1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

The reason there are signs along the coastal.paths is because it does happen. The cliffs are part of years of erosion and collapses.

We hear about it more about the houses because over the years finally the sea has washed away the land to end up with the house on the edge and finally in the sea.

Its been happening for centuries +, what is not 'nornal' is people still walking along the edge or infront of the cliffface, and today there are warning signs.

The lady who took that video was too close to the edge herself. 

Have a look at these,  time to move. :o

OMG yes! So many homes close to the edge of those cliffs! If this has been going on for centuries, then people need to use their heads and not build there. There are just places where it isn't reasonable for people to live. Nature will win!

• Thanks 1

Susanc241

Some houses that have ended up falling off a cliff were very old and were hundreds and hundreds of yards back from the cliff when built, some even as much as a mile in some places.  Several feet of cliff can collapse in one go in a bad winter storm.  Doesn’t take many winter storms and half a mile has been eaten up.  They collapse because rain water seeps in on the cliff top and depending on the cliff material, cracks appear at the same time the sea undermines the base of the cliff.  Then, one day......... they are like cliff edge sink holes.  Similar process happening.

• Like 1