Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Calls for Royal Mail to rethink Xmas stamps

Still Waters

The Royal Mail is facing calls to modernise the design of its religious Christmas stamps as they are being overtaken by secular ones for first time.

Around six in ten festive stamps bought by members of the public are now secular ones, up from around four in ten five years ago, according to the National Federation of Subpostmasters which supplies them to post offices around the UK. 

Experts said Royal Mail's religious stamps tended to be more serious and less glamorous in their design than secular stamps, potentially contributing to their decline in popularity among letter senders hoping to garner festive cheer.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/12/15/calls-royal-mail-rethink-design-religious-stamps-sales-slump/

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

The stamps used during the rest of the year work perfectly well at Christmas. Why do they have to put any seasonal design on them? It's not like it makes you buy more stamps. You buy the number of stamps you need.

Edited by acute
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, seanjo said:

I'd suggest a picture of Mohammed, but we all know where that leads...

I agree. Other countries have had them for years. It's just not fair. :unsure:

59324229-new-york-usa-circa-2016-a-posta

cdbd3b28a16d14a3dcad65c4fe8ac075.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

When I tried to buy Christmas stamps at the post office this year they didn't have any, except for the large size which I didn't want. So instead I added them to my online Tesco grocery shop and got them delivered - easy peasy. I might do that in the future.

I do like the Christmas stamps for posting the cards, I think it finishes them off somehow. I don't mind what design is on them but I don't like having any left over even though they can be used long after Christmas. This year I had to buy some regular ones to make up the amount because Tesco only sell books of stamps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don’t care what design is on them, just wish the would do a reduced price for unsealed cards at Christmas.  They might just sell more of them, though  I see a steady decline.  Several of my friends don’t send cards at all now but say they donate to a charity instead.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Susanc241 said:

I don’t care what design is on them, just wish the would do a reduced price for unsealed cards at Christmas.  They might just sell more of them, though  I see a steady decline.  Several of my friends don’t send cards at all now but say they donate to a charity instead.

The Royal Mail used to do that once upon a time.

A concessionary rate for unsealed envelopes applied until these rules were then abolished after the introduction of first and second class post on 16th September in 1968.

https://blog.postofficeshop.co.uk/seal-envelopes/

• Like 1

Umm, from over here on the other side of the pond, it looks like Jesus and his mom got knocked out by six pictures of a mailbox.

OK, a red mailbox, lol.

This can't be good for the Jesus brand :)

I have no idea what is on this years Christmas stamps - and I have used quite a few of them.   But surely the best depiction would be of Father Christmas?  Not the Coca-cola version, but the real one?   Tis the season for being jolly and  eating and drinking too much, after all!    Thankfully the days when Christians banned Christmas are long gone!

father-christmas-green-coat-460px.jpg

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Essan said:

Thankfully the days when Christians banned Christmas are long gone!

When did this happen, Essan?

eta:  nevermind, I found it.  I vaguely remember hearing of this once.  Interesting.

https://www.livescience.com/32891-why-was-christmas-banned-in-america-.html

Edited by and then
  • Like 1

My mum went to the post office to buy some christmas stamps, they did not have any. So basically if you like it or not, the post office is making sure you do not have christmas stamps for your cards. Is this not a bit anti christian culture?

Best the post office remove all the xmas presents they are selling  then. My local post office does not have any christmas stamps but they have a whole section of xmas "gifts". 

10 hours ago, acute said:

The stamps used during the rest of the year work perfectly well at Christmas. Why do they have to put any seasonal design on them? It's not like it makes you buy more stamps. You buy the number of stamps you need.

They are nice to put on Christmas Cards just like you can buy Love stamps to put on wedding invitations.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, seanjo said:

I'd suggest a picture of Mohammed, but we all know where that leads...

It leads to an explosion in sales?

7 hours ago, skliss said:

They are nice to put on Christmas Cards just like you can buy Love stamps to put on wedding invitations.

A small decorated square in the corner of the envelope? I think I can live without it.

4 hours ago, acute said:

A small decorated square in the corner of the envelope? I think I can live without it.

Fortunately we all don't have to be alike. You buy the plain ones and others will buy the decorative.  Win/win. :tsu:

• Like 1