Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Parrot uses Alexa to shop online

Still Waters

A foul-mouthed parrot, who was kicked out of an animal sanctuary for swearing too much, is using technology to cause even more trouble.

The Times of London reports Rocco, an African grey, has been using Amazon Alexa to shop online while his owner was away. 

His owner, Marion Wishnewski told the newspaper she was shocked to find that her Amazon account suddenly had pending orders for various snacks, including watermelon and ice cream and also a kettle.

https://www.wfla.com/news/viral-news/sneaky-parrot-uses-amazon-alexa-to-shop-while-owner-is-away/1662596515

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

hmmmm don't tell me ... Polly wants a cracker ?

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

43 minutes ago, third_eye said:

hmmmm don't tell me ... Polly wants a cracker ?

~

I was totally thinking the same thing..........

Ordering 32 boxes of crackers now.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, joc said:

Remember the 'swear' words to get some decent discounts :yes:

You gotta sound like a parrot though ... give it a squawk or two

~

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

After that, I'd be the one with the foul mouth.

Don't tell me, let me guess ... they delivered the wrong kind of crackers ? 

~

Edited by third_eye
reevaluation
  • Haha 1

On 2018-12-17 at 3:48 PM, joc said:

I wonder who has to pay for that.

4 minutes ago, Avalanche said:

I wonder who has to pay for that.

I'm guessing...not the parrot!  Although he may pay with his life when the bills start coming in.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, joc said:

I'm guessing...not the parrot!  Although he may pay with his life when the bills start coming in.

Have....

Yeah 'inadvertently'. I knew a guy who had an African Grey. Those things are eerily smart. They aren't just mimicking. They know the language of their humans.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seti42 said:

Yeah 'inadvertently'. I knew a guy who had an African Grey. Those things are eerily smart. They aren't just mimicking. They know the language of their humans.

Funny you say that mom's friend had 1. Very smart birds with perfect pronunciation. She would work the whole day and leave the radio on every day Mon-Fri. This parrot probably had a 100 word vocabulary, amazing. He also would say our names when he saw us. I was amazed

I had bought my Mom a Mynah bird.  He did learn how to swear.  He'd call the dog in my Mom's voice.  The dog would run into the living room looking for her.  The bird would then laugh at the dog as if he knew it was funny.  He got my Dad & I in trouble.  We were sitting on the front porch.  A hot girl walked by and the bird decided to do the wolf whistle.  She thought we did it.  Luckily the bird did it again so she believed us.  It's a good thing Alexa and Google Assistant weren't around then.  I'd hate to see what he would have ordered.  He had a fairly large vocabulary and could combine phrases to make perfectly good sentences.  One great one was when a minister came to the house when my Mom was sick.  The Minister said, "let' us pray."  The bird said "Oh my God Ralph. Go to hell!"

• Haha 1

I had a parrot long ago.  I can vouch for them always thinking with their stomach.  The first word he learned was "Apple" the next one was "Food".  Never heard a peep about crackers although he loved red peppers the really hot variety that you can feel the fumes coming from his mouth.

• 3 weeks later...

This is not a video of Rocco. Someone has been using videos of other parrots with this story whichhas shown up in many places. Recently they used videos of a parrot named Petra who has a YouTube channel called PetraGrey

Edited by Maraki
correction
  • Thanks 1