Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Guyver

Lucid Dreams

8 posts in this topic

Guyver

Greetings.  I’m sure lucid dreaming has been done here, but I don’t see a current thread.  Discuss your lucid dreams here, or discuss what you think lucid dreaming is, and how it’s different from regular dreaming.  

I had a lucid dream last night, and I would like to say that I don’t have these kind of experiences very often.  I would also add that I do distinguish these types of dreams from other kinds.  But at the same time, I can understand how sciencey types can argue that lucid dreams only occur as a person is regaining conscious awareness, and they are the result of the brain in deep sleep, mixing with the conscious mind.

Anyway, the dream I had was pretty awesome, so in order to remember it....I would like to post it here.

Guyver

So, my wife’s alarm goes off at 5:00, but she snoozes.  My alarm goes off at 5:45 but I don’t snooze.  Anyway, this morning I hardly recall her alarm, but most days it annoys me.  It must have awakened me a bit because I had a lucid dream at that time, and I was not medicated.....FWIW.

Anyway....the dream seemed like a real experience to me.  I walked into an outdoor location like a hang-gliding school.  And I recognized and acknowledged a person, female.....attractive....as if she were my instructor.  But, before I could approach her, I found myself holding on to a rope, and I knew what it was going to do but my mind said I wasn’t ready for it.  I started to be afraid, but it happened so fast that I could not object.  

The rope began to move me through the air.....it was like I was flying, but i was bound to the rope and traveling in a wide arc.  In my mind I knew I wasn’t strong enough to hold the rope at the time.  Like, I knew in my heart that I would fly off the rope and crash....and some weird thing happened with my hand like it actually lost hold.....

But, a “Higher Power” protected me and I stayed affixed to the rope.  I was then able to fly, and I experienced the sensation of flying like that as if it were real.  Right now I can’t recall the rest of it.....

i just wanted to tell about it because at the time it seemed as real to me as real life is.  

• Like 1

eight bits

You didn't mention when in the dream you became aware that you were dreaming, and the dream continued with you in that state of awareness.

Having a vivid dream (" at the time it seemed as real to me as real life is") is a different category of experience from having a lucid dream.

[Yes, there was a time when "science" was hosile to lucid dreaming claims, but it is possible to induce lucid dreams in laboratory conditions, and as with so many things sciencey, it turns out that Richard Feynman had studied lucid dreams and not published his results in science journals. As to the dreamer's condition, yes rapid eye movement sleep  is being "nearly awake," in the direct sense that it'd be easy to rouse you fully awake than if you were in a deeper, non-REM stage of sleep. There are also degrees of wakefulness, and much strangeness can happen when you're more awake than REM-asleep but less awake than after your second cup of coffee.]

• Like 1

Guyver

Good point 8.  Maybe I just had a vivid dream.  It just seemed really special.  I don’t know what to make of it and I don’t remember when I knew I was dreaming, but I think it was when I was walking up to the “starting line.”  The whole thing is beginning to fade from my memory and I wish I had written down the experience when I first awoke.  Anyway, thanks for reading and saying.

• Like 1

preacherman76
On 12/17/2018 at 10:04 PM, Guyver said:

Greetings.  I’m sure lucid dreaming has been done here, but I don’t see a current thread.  Discuss your lucid dreams here, or discuss what you think lucid dreaming is, and how it’s different from regular dreaming.  

I had a lucid dream last night, and I would like to say that I don’t have these kind of experiences very often.  I would also add that I do distinguish these types of dreams from other kinds.  But at the same time, I can understand how sciencey types can argue that lucid dreams only occur as a person is regaining conscious awareness, and they are the result of the brain in deep sleep, mixing with the conscious mind.

Anyway, the dream I had was pretty awesome, so in order to remember it....I would like to post it here.

I’ve been in a dream funk for a while now. I do know exactly what you mean though. I’ve had several vivid and also lucid dreams. I’ve had many dream where I wasn’t aware I was dreaming, but somehow still knew what was happening wasn’t real. I love every second of them. Even the scary ones. 

If I don’t strictly practice dream recall though it’s rare I remember a dream at all. The effort doesn’t alway equal the output though, so I often go long periods without remembering my dreams at all

• Like 1

White Crane Feather
On 12/18/2018 at 6:24 AM, Guyver said:

Good point 8.  Maybe I just had a vivid dream.  It just seemed really special.  I don’t know what to make of it and I don’t remember when I knew I was dreaming, but I think it was when I was walking up to the “starting line.”  The whole thing is beginning to fade from my memory and I wish I had written down the experience when I first awoke.  Anyway, thanks for reading and saying.

Yes not a lucid dream. To be lucid, you are aware of your own dreaming. 

There seems to be several different kinds of dreams. I like they way that you put it that it felt special. I always feel like “special” dreams are about learning or experiencing something. 

Guyver

I had another lucid dream last night....well...it was early this morning between 5 am and 5:30.  I got to fly!  It was amazing!  Well, actually it wasn’t exactly flying....it was more of controlled falling.  I was on top of a rocky mountain range somewhere and there was snow and rocks showing.  I had a special room up there, like a snow cave...and I could launch off the mountain from the entrance.  I experienced the sensation of great acceleration and would attempt to control the flight, but I couldn’t really do anything to control it and I would soar for a while but like in a controlled fall, like the people in wing suits.  Anyway, just before I would hit the ground I would “blink” myself back to the room in the cave.  

At first I tried sucking in my stomach to get lift, then I tried different things with my hands.  I was gliding like superman does.  The last time, and just before I woke up, my brother was in the cave.  I told him I was worried about crashing my hands on the rocks and he assured me that it was ok to let myself crash and that my hands wouldn’t get hurt, then I heard my wife getting in the shower and it woke me up.  I still had fourteen minutes before my alarm, but I couldn’t get back to sleep and I awoke.

please comment if you wish, and if not, thanks for reading.

• Like 1

Mr Walker
On 18/12/2018 at 1:49 PM, Guyver said:

So, my wife’s alarm goes off at 5:00, but she snoozes.  My alarm goes off at 5:45 but I don’t snooze.  Anyway, this morning I hardly recall her alarm, but most days it annoys me.  It must have awakened me a bit because I had a lucid dream at that time, and I was not medicated.....FWIW.

Anyway....the dream seemed like a real experience to me.  I walked into an outdoor location like a hang-gliding school.  And I recognized and acknowledged a person, female.....attractive....as if she were my instructor.  But, before I could approach her, I found myself holding on to a rope, and I knew what it was going to do but my mind said I wasn’t ready for it.  I started to be afraid, but it happened so fast that I could not object.  

The rope began to move me through the air.....it was like I was flying, but i was bound to the rope and traveling in a wide arc.  In my mind I knew I wasn’t strong enough to hold the rope at the time.  Like, I knew in my heart that I would fly off the rope and crash....and some weird thing happened with my hand like it actually lost hold.....

But, a “Higher Power” protected me and I stayed affixed to the rope.  I was then able to fly, and I experienced the sensation of flying like that as if it were real.  Right now I can’t recall the rest of it.....

i just wanted to tell about it because at the time it seemed as real to me as real life is.  

To add to 8 bits It is a lucid dream when or if you become aware while dreaming that it IS a dream. If you  can manage this and stay asleep, the next step is to take control of the dream and the characters That is where the fun really begins, but  it does not end there.  

I know the science but every dream i have is lucid Ie I never dream without knowing I am dreaming. I trained myself to do this as a child   This means that i can begin lucid d reaming the moment i fall aslep ( I have special trick for transiting from waking consciousness to dreaming consciousness so that  there is no period of non consciousness)  and continue a dream for hours of real time  It is true that we tend to remember the dreams we had just before waking up, but again this can be improved with training and techniques to enable you to quickly realise you are dreaming and to take control.

Once you master flying so many other things are open to you in your dreams.  

• Like 2