Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Think The Ancient Serpent Gods really existed

Ares_Zeusson

When near identical mythology about feathered serpents & "dragons" permeate every continent on earth it really should warrant some consideration.

Now sure they probably weren't actual serpents seeing as how many are described as being metallic so maybe good ol' Giorgio ain't too far off base about them being ships.

I don't know what they were but I'm convinced they were something tangible & they were everywhere.

To write them off as purely fictitious w/no in basis in reality because it seems outlandish based on ones current knowledge & understanding of the universe is just foolish.

• Like 2

You are really going to have to  flesh out your premise here. That was an abject failure.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kid_Marx said:

Huh...Okay

By your title, are you asking that this should be treated as a 'thought experiment'?

A what if?

8 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

By your title, are you asking that this should be treated as a 'thought experiment'?

A what if?

Your overthinking it.

I just asked a question (ran out of space for the question mark though). Who thinks ancient people actually saw some kind of creatures and/or machines that resembled giant serpents and/or dragons?

Edited by Kid_Marx

Except the whole “they all look different” bit about dragons.

Chinese:

9B3234A7-C2FD-4BA8-A0D3-A029A3474772.png.3afbfd516d888300bd28f4e049050d18.png

South American:

CE905546-BE36-48AC-AACF-D25677B43E69.png.da2df2efb0e6b95675f679c5d7e5e603.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Except the whole “they all look different” bit about dragons.

Chinese:

9B3234A7-C2FD-4BA8-A0D3-A029A3474772.png.3afbfd516d888300bd28f4e049050d18.png

South American:

CE905546-BE36-48AC-AACF-D25677B43E69.png.da2df2efb0e6b95675f679c5d7e5e603.png

1 minute ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

European:

DC9B110F-8127-4C54-8044-EE78244D67F9.png

Lol! Pokémon is your example?

• Haha 1

If there is any problem that cannot be solved by Pokémon I’ve yet to encounter it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Fine then, I guess.

50 minutes ago, Kid_Marx said:

When near identical mythology about feathered serpents & "dragons" permeate every continent on earth

The mythology is no where identical. Thus proved by Sir Wearer.

7 minutes ago, Kid_Marx said:

Who thinks ancient people actually saw some kind of creatures and/or machines that resembled giant serpent or dragons?

Okay, you're saying extraterrestrial craft.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Fine then, I guess.

The mythology is no where identical. Thus proved by Sir Wearer.

Okay, you're saying extraterrestrial craft.

Hey I said "near identical" as in they all seem to be depicted as big ass reptiles.

Or terrestrial? I'm not really trying to say that's the case, I'm just saying it's one possibility.

The generally accepted idea is that ancient folks dug up Dinosaur and other fossils and canevup with stories to explain them, vis dragons and giants.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kid_Marx said:

Hey I said "near identical" as in they all seem to be depicted as big ass reptiles.

Or terrestrial? I'm not really trying to say that's the case, I'm just saying it's one possibility.

I'm sorry. I've failed to make sense of this thread, and you haven't helped one damn bit.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

The generally accepted idea is that ancient folks dug up Dinosaur and other fossils and canevup with stories to explain them, vis dragons and giants.

Thunder Lizards and such....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Sure but in many cases people describe the comings & goings of such things in their present time.

Just now, Kid_Marx said:

Sure but in many cases people describe the comings & goings of such things in their present time.

Course they do.

they also see the Fair Folk.

4 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

I'm sorry. I've failed to make sense of this thread, and you haven't helped one damn bit.

Not sure what's so complicated about it.

2 minutes ago, Kid_Marx said:

Not sure what's so complicated about it.

Are you saying dragons might be real or/and or/were you implying that metallic ufo's were interpreted as dragons?

41 minutes ago, Kid_Marx said:

Who thinks ancient people actually saw some kind of creatures and/or machines that resembled giant serpents and/or dragons?

Not me. I don’t think that many others think that either.

Especially not what you’re suggesting in your OP.

This feels like more of a fleeting thought of yours, rather than a more deeply considered idea.

• Like 1

The legend of the Dragon, at least in the old world originates from a serpent creature form Indo-European folklore that spread form ancient central Asia into all corners of the old world.

Piney can explain that better than me, but I haven't seen him around lately. Anybody know whether he's okay?

As for seprents in other parts of the world (I assume you mean Quetzalcoatl and the Ranbow Serpent) well...Snakes are a very omnipresent type of animal that, due to its frequent deadliness has ingrained itself into human cultures all over the world. You can keep wolves away with a fence, you can't guide yoruself against a venomous snake in the grass quite as easily. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, seanjo said:

I think a lot of serpent/dragon myths are born out of ancient people coming across dinosaur fossils.

And seeing snakes...and being afraid and then thinking "imagine how much worse it would be if that thing were BIGGER! AND COULD FLY! AND COULD BREATHE FIRE!!!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

When you think ancient societies once co-existed with serpent-like beings, there are several types of persons who have a predefined opinion about this. There are skeptics, who make fun of you and everyone thinking different. There are scientist (professional or self-proclaimed) who don't actually know anything about the subject, but are sure it can be explained through some device or another. There are historians, who love to bend similarities between historical facts and mythological accounts so that it matches their personal opinion. There are also religious people who accept the fact that such beings once existed because it is part of their tradition.

There also people who understand the importance of ancient literature which contains plenty of narratives describing such creatures. And they do not believe that such stories were made up out of someone's imagination. Certain ancient cultures knew better than to make up stories for fun or mix imagination with philosophy or mix falsification with religious integrity. I am talking about the Indian sub-continent. Not only do three major religions (Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism), mention serpent-like beings, this landmass is, coincidentally, supposed to contain a single species of every snake-family!

On 12/17/2018 at 9:57 PM, Orphalesion said:

Piney can explain that better than me, but I haven't seen him around lately. Anybody know whether he's okay?

He literally has an active thread running that he started today.

Ancient myths of snake-like creatures were inspired by actual snakes, not mythical beings, extraterrestrials, gods, etc. Why is this hard to understand?

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 2

On 12/17/2018 at 8:15 PM, Ares_Zeusson said:

When near identical mythology about feathered serpents & "dragons" permeate every continent on earth it really should warrant some consideration.

Now sure they probably weren't actual serpents seeing as how many are described as being metallic so maybe good ol' Giorgio ain't too far off base about them being ships.

I don't know what they were but I'm convinced they were something tangible & they were everywhere.

To write them off as purely fictitious w/no in basis in reality because it seems outlandish based on ones current knowledge & understanding of the universe is just foolish.

Don’t you think that the most logical explanation is that ancient people on every continent found dinosaur bones and created legends about them?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1