Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Experiments made into movies

'Walt' E. Kurtz

My top dubious social psychology experiments made into movies these experiments was not exactly of the most etic kind  but they tell much about how we humans work which is infact interesting and very scary. What is your thoughts about these experiments and have you seen any of these movie adaptions? What other simular social psychology experiments do you recommend me to read up on ?

Miligrams Experiment on obedience on athority figures. Read more about it here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment 

Experimenter 2015 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

The stanford prison social experiment on the psychological effects of perceived power.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment

The stanford prison experiment 2015

Edited by Avalanche
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is some irony that the Milgram work was, in part, motivated to understand how "ordinary people" could have served as Nazi-era prison guards, when Milgram was so sure that there was something unusual about such behavior. The irony is that the prgress of ethics since Milgram's time has reclassified experiments of this kind as off-limits with human subjects.

The second-layer irony is that there isn't much "unusual" about it. People do horrific things to one another all the time, with or without "authority figures" urging them on. Anybody who could electroshock their dog (whom they probably describe as "oh, Spot is just like a member of our family") can hardly be expected to refuse categorically to electroshock a human stranger "for their own good," with medical personnel standing by just in case the "student" has an undiagnosed heart ailment. Can't be too careful in the torture chamber, you know.

WhoTF do you suppose performs water-boarding of terror suspects? Space aliens? No, some working stiff who's persuaded himself (or herself, yeah, really) that this is for "the greater good."

BTW, why is a Milgram-type experiment off-limits these days? Because the subjects were lied to about the situatoion? Why, no, lying is an OK thing in this type of "scientific" research. Just like Galileo, Newton and Einstein, eh? No, mostly because of post-experiment distress when some subjects came to realize what they were capable of, when they had cultivated ego commitments that they were something else besides human beings. Or perhaps they thought human beings were different than they are.

Please do not conflate realism with contempt for human beings. I am not a misanthrope. I accept that doing terrible things will sometimes seem expedient, I accept that as part of the human condition, and I accept that the "human condition" includes me.

• Like 3

The next step up in evolution of the Modern serial killer ...

~

Israel Keyes (January 7, 1978 – December 2, 2012) was an American serial killer, rapist, arsonist, burglar, and bank robber. Keyes admitted to violent crimes as ...
State(s)‎: ‎Alaska‎, ‎New York‎, ‎Washington‎, ‎Vermont
Date apprehended‎: ‎March 13, 2012
Years of service‎: ‎1998–2001
Unit‎: ‎5th Infantry Battalion

~

Oct 24, 2018 - When authorities discovered serial killer Israel Keyes had committed suicide in his jail cell while awaiting trial for the murder of 18-year-old ...

~

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, eight bits said:

Please do not conflate realism with contempt for human beings. I am not a misanthrope. I accept that doing terrible things will sometimes seem expedient, I accept that as part of the human condition, and I accept that the "human condition" includes me.

Yes we are all capable to kill which is not surprising the experiment is still ""scary" in some ways some of the participants did not feel well after the experiment because they found out what they were capabel of but it is still one of the classics.

Edited by Avalanche
  • Like 2