Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Deformed turkeys found at UK factory farm

Eldorado

“Horrifically deformed” turkeys have been discovered at a factory farm named as a supplier to some of the UK’s biggest supermarket chains.

Secretly taken video footage shows crippled birds unable to walk, with missing feathers and exposed skin, and appearing unhealthy or suffering. Sick birds were also recorded being attacked by others.

The turkeys would have lived in the shed for between eight and 26 weeks before being slaughtered.

The centre, at Sudbrooke, Lincolnshire, is run by the Faccenda Group, which is owned by Avara Foods, one of Britain’s largest food manufacturers, which produces more than 100 million turkeys and chickens each year.

Full report: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/turkeys-christmas-asda-sainsbury-supermarkets-factory-farming-animal-welfare-video-footage-a8664131.html

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Maybe and perhaps they're just funky looking chickens ...

~

• Sad 1

Absolutely disgusting. This is what happens when society loses touch with reality. We all want cheap food, and this is the result from egg to cull usually 60days maybe a little longer in Turkeys they are pumped full of growth promoters, with weight gain being the main aim. **** the poor animal, and its short life. Its about time we put value back into our food. A law that all animals have to be reared outside on a balanced diet. Even if that raises the cost by a £1 or £2. We can't go on like we do. A good documentary on the subject a warts n' all look into the whole process. It would be a eye opener. And the people would demand change to the industry. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Poor animals. ): They don't deserve that kind of life.

• Like 3

This is quite common with hybrid varieties of Turkeys and Chickens. They grow so fast that their joints can't keep up with the growth and they end up crippled. I had purchased a 100 each of Leghorns and Plymouth Rock chickens and I noticed that the Plymouth Rock chickens were coming up crippled. I took one to the vet and he said because of chickens growing so fast these days that the joints become deformed other than that he said the chicken was perfectly health and he wouldn't hesitate to butcher it for meat. 

But what I see here is filthy living conditions which should not be tolerated.

Before you buy your next Turkey go and visit a Turkey farm and check out the dead pit. You just might change your mind about store purchased Turkeys. The Turkeys are usually thrown in alive as they become defective, but they do die very quickly due to suffocation from the gases present in the pit. The pit is usually a piece of corrugated drain pipe buried in the ground vertically and has a lid on top.

I was able to get about 23 Turkeys from a Turkey farm because they were destined for the dead pit and the reason was as they move the Turkeys from the brooder to the grow out barn the ones that are too small to access the water and feed stations are thrown in the dead pit for no other reason than being too small. This does prevent them from starving to death though.

Disclaimer: I can't really say this is how all Turkey farms are run but this was the case in my example.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Its just the headline of the day, after a few weeks and its back to business as usual. Not like this is the first time anybody had seen news like these

Just ask Jamie Oliver and Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall

~

• Like 2