Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Golden Duck Standard

Golden Duck

I've been looking at GPS Camera Apps for my phone.  I installed GeoCam Pro; but, I didn't have a way of exporting a video file. Apparently GeoCam Studio was a thing but the zip files are empty.

I've captured this video using DU Recorder.  Can you tell what it is?

30 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Can you tell what it is?

Sadly, no. :(

• Thanks 1

That's 51 meters altitude? 

That's would most likely be a drone? Hard to say its hard to see with the crosshairs. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

That's 51 meters altitude? 

That's would most likely be a drone? Hard to say its hard to see with the crosshairs. 

I think that's my altitude.  It's surprising to me too.

I've beat the drum here occasionally about providing details of where you're standing and where you're looking.

Sorry about the crosshairs.  I was in a real rush to get video footage.

• Like 1

Sorry for appearing to spam. Discovered I can remove the cross-hairs for playback.  The the time stamp shows the time of playback.

The original video was taken at 19:22, 19 December.

So as a little test for the proof of concept I hoping someone can confirm what is seen in the video.

Edited by Golden Duck

^ ^ That's better! The way it just snuffs out, poof! makes me think it's a spark. Also, the way it moves suggests a spark to me.

• Like 1

My guess is Venus. If the on screen data is reasonably accurate it should be in that area of sky ? I cannot tell if it's moving or not from the video. Knowing the field of view size in degrees would be a useful on screen addition.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

My guess is Venus. If the on screen data is reasonably accurate it should be in that area of sky ? I cannot tell if it's moving or not from the video. Knowing the field of view size in degrees would be a useful on screen addition.

Unfortunately the app is no longer supported. It's the only app I've found that records video with orientation overlay.

Footage was taken with a Samsung S8.

The object was moving and disappears from view behind a cloud.

ETA. I just checked Google Sky Map:

- The Southern Cross had just slipped below the horizon.

- Venus was well below the horizon to the SW.

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

it's a satellite 

Probably, yes and if its quite flashy it could be the ISS, it's sometime visible during the day !

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 1

Cygnus NG10?

And do I win a huge prize????

(BTW, it was attached to the ISS at the time - I prolly should mention that..)

Also, is anyone interested in a step by step expose on why I think it was the ISS+Cygnus?  Or to Golden Duck, am I stealing your thunder?  Please do go on, if you intended to elaborate on what it was and how you found out.. :) (as I don't want to be an obnoxious smartypants...)

• Thanks 1

On 12/20/2018 at 9:36 AM, Jon the frog said:

Probably, yes and if its quite flashy it could be the ISS, it's sometime visible during the day !

Yes. I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

I think it was a lucky coincidence to get it actually.

I was walking along Moreton Bay, Brisbane trying to soak up the cool ocean breeze around sunset.  In one directrion I could look across the water to what was the longest bridge in Australia, The Houghton Highway; in the other, the Port of Brisbane  and Brisbane Airport. Looking at the sky, the birds and planes; and thinking about the camera photography discussions here I thought I'd try to take some pictures of Obfuscated Flying Objects with the vector information overlay.

I started home after dark when I got the alert about the ISS sighting.

48414701_10157005995564669_8038434995620

Now I reckon most people tend to perceive buildings and streets are aligned with the cardinal points - this street runs northish-southish; and, that how I perceived the street when I saw the candidate moving light in the sky.  I also perceived it moving at about the same speed as any other plane in the sky; and, with my mis-perception of the street alignment I wasn't sure at first.  I had take the time to think about the actual bearing of the street and confirm things when I got home.

So all in all it wasn't that remarkable a sighting; and without the forewarning I would've guessed a plane.

The main point of this thread was to display some mobile phone footage with pretty accurate details of where the camera was pointed; and, to see if people would find the extra detail useful.

Other members, @stereologist, have suggested posting footage as something of a challenge or perhaps even a way to calibrate other sightings.

I'll may continue to capturing Obfuscated Flying Objects and post the intersting examples here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

Also, is anyone interested in a step by step expose on why I think it was the ISS+Cygnus?  Or to Golden Duck, am I stealing your thunder?  Please do go on, if you intended to elaborate on what it was and how you found out.. :) (as I don't want to be an obnoxious smartypants...)

Please go for it!

Yep, you are correct.  It certainly was in that region of sky at that exact time from your location, and as you saw - it's very bright!!!.

I must admit finding it was a happy accident, initially...  I did my usual preliminary check using Stellarium (www.stellarium.org) on my PC.  I can't recommend this program highly enough - it's just brilliant, and free for home use (Sadly they charge for the phone app version - I don't use that version so can't comment on it..)  Anyway, I dialled in your location and time, looked to the south, and lo, as I scanned around looking for candidate planets, a bright spot moved into view at almost exactly the right place and direction.... Obviously one of the recent upgrades to Stellarium now includes brighter satellites!!  I clicked on it and it told me it was the ISS plus the Cygnus spacecraft which is currently attached...

So in one step it was quite easy to see that it was the ISS.  Then, as a cross check, I visited Heavens Above (www.heavens-above.com).  I changed my location to your lat/lon, then went back through the dates and checked the brighter satellite list - it verified the path and timing for the ISS exactly.

I think we can close the case on this one - well done GD!     

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

Yep, you are correct.  It certainly was in that region of sky at that exact time from your location, and as you saw - it's very bright!!!.

I must admit finding it was a happy accident, initially...  I did my usual preliminary check using Stellarium (www.stellarium.org) on my PC.  I can't recommend this program highly enough - it's just brilliant, and free for home use (Sadly they charge for the phone app version - I don't use that version so can't comment on it..)  Anyway, I dialled in your location and time, looked to the south, and lo, as I scanned around looking for candidate planets, a bright spot moved into view at almost exactly the right place and direction.... Obviously one of the recent upgrades to Stellarium now includes brighter satellites!!  I clicked on it and it told me it was the ISS plus the Cygnus spacecraft which is currently attached...

So in one step it was quite easy to see that it was the ISS.  Then, as a cross check, I visited Heavens Above (www.heavens-above.com).  I changed my location to your lat/lon, then went back through the dates and checked the brighter satellite list - it verified the path and timing for the ISS exactly.

I think we can close the case on this one - well done GD!     

Thanks.

That's a perfect example of the smartypants work I was hoping to see.

It's frustrating seeing footage with vague details. I was hoping I could demonstrate what can be be done. 

17 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

It's frustrating seeing footage with vague details.

Yes.  I wonder if johncbdg is reading this?

It does help greatly if presenters of footage provide simple, basic, essential details.  And while that app looks pretty cool, in the vast majority of cases SURELY the person would know where they were, what direction they were pointing (roughly is fine), and what day/time it was.  We can now use that information to look into satellites and spacecraft, aircraft (both commercial and most (unclassified) military flights), and of course to identify celestial bodies.  About a year back we had a claimant who was adamant he had the first really good footage of an alien craft.  When he gave the basic info, it was very clear that Venus should be right in the middle of his image frames, so I asked, where was Venus relative to his 'craft'?  He vanished (MIB got him, I think).

So here's the thing..  you can tell someone is genuine pretty easily by their tone - if they are loudly claiming UFO / aliens / whatever and failing to provide the basic info (as you have shown above, and very well), then you know they will be disinterested in the truth, or any real investigation (Hi john!).  In fact it will be in their own interest to either withhold the information, or even to lie about it.

If someone *asks* for help identifying something, they will get a wonderful reception here, and lots of help.  I have little sympathy for johncbdg and his ilk, and the hostile reception that is given to them.  It is well-deserved, imo.

• Thanks 1

I have to admit that I would not have guessed the ISS, that's a much better view than I would have expected and a great example as to just how many man-made objects are visible in the night sky. 

Did get a spectacular angle on a viridian sattelite once. They are worth chasing down. App for that too I believe. 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2018 at 12:47 AM, psyche101 said:

I have to admit that I would not have guessed the ISS, that's a much better view than I would have expected and a great example as to just how many man-made objects are visible in the night sky. 

Did get a spectacular angle on a viridian sattelite once. They are worth chasing down. App for that too I believe. 

Yup.  Heaven's Above does all of them and more, and is available online or as an app..  but it's Iridium, not Viridian!

• Thanks 1