Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man shot mistaken for Bigfoot

Still Waters

A Montana man was out target shooting when he became a target himself — and it was because a man “mistook him for Bigfoot,” he told authorities.

The 27-year-old from Helena told dispatchers on Monday that a day earlier he had been putting up targets on public lands outside the city when bullets started flying toward him, Lewis and Clark County Sheriff Leo Dutton said in a phone interview with McClatchy.

The man said one bullet hit three feet to his left on Sunday and another whizzed past him on the right. He explained that he ran into the trees for cover as more gunfire came his way. Eventually he came out to confront the man in a black Ford F-150 who shot at him, he said.

https://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article223287195.html

• Haha 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

I dunno about gun control, but it appears that the residents of Helena need Moron Control ? 

The moron in question stated that.. "I don’t target practice — but if I see something that looks like Bigfoot, I just shoot at it."

Never mind guns, people like this shouldn't even be allowed spoons !

That right there should be proof that person should not ever be allowed guns

• Like 3

My question is, in a unviserse where it is actually Bigfoot, why in the world would you want to shoot it lol

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

My question is, in a unviserse where it is actually Bigfoot, why in the world would you want to shoot it lol

That's why it is illegal to shoot Sasquatch (Bigfoot) in BC :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Thats another excuse for shooting someone oh i thought he was bigfoot so i shot him and when he moved in agony i shot him again...or maybe the guy looked really like bigfoot ? Mom they call me bigfoot at school be quiet kid and comb your face....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Telling the guy he should wear orange is nonsense. He shouldn't be shooting at something unless he's hunting a particular game animal.

And then any respectful hunter will positively identify what that game animal is before pulling the trigger.

If it was a bigfoot, I would be shooting it with my camera phone.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I hope they find the black F150 guy and throw him in jail. This is ridiculous. Firing on a humanoid shape in the woods really should be a crime and punished to the fullest extent of the law. I hike all the time, and I don't even own any blaze orange.

Edited by Seti42
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, glorybebe said:

That's why it is illegal to shoot Sasquatch (Bigfoot) in BC :D

There is also a law in Washington State which is below BC. Think they know something? :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, NicoletteS said:

Maybe just a hunch but i have a strong feeling methamphetamines are involved...

Entirely possible, NicoletteS.  When I was in treatment for alcoholism I met a few guys who were in recovery from that poison and they told some stories that literally raised my level of anxiety.  It seems hallucinations are so common that they lose touch with reality.  We have a problem with it in my rural area and I always walk armed because of it :(   

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hawken said:

Telling the guy he should wear orange is nonsense. He shouldn't be shooting at something unless he's hunting a particular game animal.

And then any respectful hunter will positively identify what that game animal is before pulling the trigger.

If it was a bigfoot, I would be shooting it with my camera phone.

Yeah.  At a minimum, this guy is either lying or rurn't stupid.  Had he killed the man, he'd have been guilty of negligent homicide at least.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, and then said:

Entirely possible, NicoletteS.  When I was in treatment for alcoholism I met a few guys who were in recovery from that poison and they told some stories that literally raised my level of anxiety.  It seems hallucinations are so common that they lose touch with reality.  We have a problem with it in my rural area and I always walk armed because of it :(   

Any chemical we put into our brain, from illegal substances to even prescribed meds can seriously effect the way people behave in all kind of unpredictable manners, and there is no facts on what any of these things actually do to you other than physical and what is reported, the brain as a physical thing can be studied, but consciousness can not be explained nor gaged in any kind of scientific way, its literally theories/guess work, so literally any time anybody puts anything into your body that we are not adapted to consume naturally it can have random nasty effects, this goes with man made foods also, not that i'm some health nut, i drink, vape, eat junk in moderation, but i'm still a firm believer of this.

I also have noticed that any time i am ever unreasonable or involved in drama of any kind, its pretty much 101% of the time when i'm drunk XD

Of course people can just be a**holes who just feel like shooting people lol.

• Like 3

I can't see a good reason to EVER shoot anything that is walking upright on two legs in the woods. It is most likely to be  person and even if it isn't whatever it is is rare and should be protected. There is eventually going to be some poor hunter killed by an imbecile that is shooting "Bigfoot". I was taught when I was a kid not to shoot ANYTHING that I couldn't positively identify. that means no shooting at shaking bushes or big ugly people wearing camouflage clothing or gilly suits or even Bigfoot...

Edited by DanL
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

I dunno about gun control, but it appears that the residents of Helena need Moron Control ? 

The moron in question stated that.. "I don’t target practice — but if I see something that looks like Bigfoot, I just shoot at it."

Never mind guns, people like this shouldn't even be allowed spoons !

BigFoot  that wear clothes 

• Like 1

Not bad. Basically you fire few rounds at someone and just say, ''oh wait but you're no bigfoot i am very sorry dear lets make headlines for a day'' :D

• Like 1

Too bad he wasn't a hoaxer. Would have made for a better story, and more meaningful. 

Also, the skeptic community that demands a body for confirmation is largely to blame for such kinds of idiotic attempts to recover one. 

Edited by PrisonerX
  • Like 3

I’d like to see a pic of the guy who was the target. Maybe he really does look like Bigfoot. And wouldn’t it be a hoot if the woman’s name was Patty?

i agree, he should not have a gun. but unfortunately in reality, nothing will stop him from getting one legally or not.. too bad the "big foot" did not shoot back. would have done everyone a favor.

13 hours ago, DirtyDocMartens said:

I’d like to see a pic of the guy who was the target. Maybe he really does look like Bigfoot. And wouldn’t it be a hoot if the woman’s name was Patty?

Yeah that was a likely story and all until the part where he also shot at a woman.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:32 PM, DirtyDocMartens said:

Some people are just too stupid to be allowed out without supervision. I had a guy take a shot at me one time that mistook me for a SQUIRREL!! I'm 6' 2" and weigh 200lbs! I was sitting by a tree and he saw my hand move. Fortunately winter coat, to far away and a bad aim save me from getting peppered much and saved him from getting beat to half to death. 

• Confused 1

My brother and his son were shot at while mushroom picking. He actually felt the pressure wave as the bullet whizzed past his head. He grabbed Scott and dove into a low spot screaming at the guy at the same time. When the guy showed up he claimed he was shooting at a grouse. Mark asked to see if the rifle was loaded, and when the guy showed him, Mark grabbed the rifle and smashed it against a tree. The guy never said a word when he was handed back his now broken in half .270 rifle.  The guy left with my thoroughly p***ed brother yelling at him to take a hunting course before he kills someone.

Hank 

• Like 1