Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Loch Ness monster spotted at Fort Augustus

Eldorado

Sightings of the Loch Ness Monster have reached a record for this century after a best-selling author saw a mysterious creature with a 4ft neck and a head "the size of a rugby ball."

Ricky D Phillips, a British military historian - whose works include The First Casualty, The Untold Story of the Falklands War - said he was "baffled" by the sight.

Phillips from Edinburgh also works as a tour guide and was leading a party of eight foreign tourists who went on a cruise on Loch Ness on Thursday (December 13), while he went and got a "chippy."

It was as he rested at the River Oich, just as it flows into Loch Ness at Fort Augustus, that Mr Phillips saw the strange sight at 2.40pm.

"It was a grey creature - almost bird like - in a grey stretch of water. It's neck was three to four feet long, a head the size of a rugby ball and a ridge across its eyes," said Phillips, who will be 40 tomorrow/today (Wed). "I was baffled.

"The previous Wednesday I had heard a strange noise as I was stood by a cafe at the edge of the loch in Fort Augustus. The noise sounded almost metallic, but like something was blowing air - like Darth Vader.

Photo: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/scotland-now/loch-ness-monster-spotted-author-13749770

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a feeling that tour guide is just trying to drum up some business. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

Sightings of the Loch Ness Monster have reached a record for this century after a best-selling author saw a mysterious creature with a 4ft neck and a head "the size of a rugby ball."

Ricky D Phillips, a British military historian - whose works include The First Casualty, The Untold Story of the Falklands War - said he was "baffled" by the sight.

Phillips from Edinburgh also works as a tour guide and was leading a party of eight foreign tourists who went on a cruise on Loch Ness on Thursday (December 13), while he went and got a "chippy."

It was as he rested at the River Oich, just as it flows into Loch Ness at Fort Augustus, that Mr Phillips saw the strange sight at 2.40pm.

"It was a grey creature - almost bird like - in a grey stretch of water. It's neck was three to four feet long, a head the size of a rugby ball and a ridge across its eyes," said Phillips, who will be 40 tomorrow/today (Wed). "I was baffled.

"The previous Wednesday I had heard a strange noise as I was stood by a cafe at the edge of the loch in Fort Augustus. The noise sounded almost metallic, but like something was blowing air - like Darth Vader.

Photo: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/scotland-now/loch-ness-monster-spotted-author-13749770

Its even got its harness on the seahorses are real lol

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

There is no need to drum up business that place is teeming with people from all over the world all year round..

1 hour ago, johncbdg said:

There is no need to drum up business that place is teeming with people from all over the world all year round..

The why do Coca-Cola and McDonalds advertise at all? 

There have been less than 20 "official" sightings of the "monster" each year for this century. 

I would find it highly suspect if a tour guide at Loch Ness would not promote their livelihood. 

• Like 2

Just as an aside, I looked at that photo. I think the photo is real but the object (nessie) is fake. The neck looks as stiff and straight as a pipe. just an opinion

• Like 2

I have no clue if the photo is real fake or the "thing" in the pic is real or ??? For me it offers zero proof of anything except perhaps the doc owns a camera,

Not the first doc to take an alleged nessie pic and of course it Didnt hurt the "come see nessie" tour business....

• 2 weeks later...

Problem as I see it is, the reports of year, month & day seem not to be collected for the most density of sightings. Like whales they maybe going there to give live birth, especially when the local fish spawn, thus plenty of food for young.

43 minutes ago, CuCulaine said:

Problem as I see it is, the reports of year, month & day seem not to be collected for the most density of sightings. Like whales they maybe going there to give live birth, especially when the local fish spawn, thus plenty of food for young.

Through the locks and/or over the dams?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CuCulaine said:

Whales go to Loch Ness to have babies? 

• Like 1

Sure, and nessie plays midwife

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/19/2018 at 12:17 PM, onlookerofmayhem said:

The why do Coca-Cola and McDonalds advertise at all? 

There have been less than 20 "official" sightings of the "monster" each year for this century. 

I would find it highly suspect if a tour guide at Loch Ness would not promote their livelihood. 

So, in effect, Nessie witnesses CANNOT be anybody in the local tour industry. They are disqualified, out-of-hand, forget that they may have far more potential opportunity to spot it. How about the local fisherman, or hotel owners or staff? 

Coke and McDonalds are in the business of propagating their brands. Its a flawed fall back to use the "bolstering local tourism" excuse. Its eliminates, out-of-hand, anybody and everybody with any vested interest in a region where they make their home. 

I have to wonder just how many locals have seen something they didn't figure was real and couldn't explain, over the last century, that kept it to themselves or their close circle, for fear of ridicule or worse. And I'd bet more than a few of them have enjoyed the odd Coca-Cola or eaten at McDonald's. ;)

@Ned Merrill

I said no such thing. In this case, after seeing the picture, I said :

On 12/19/2018 at 9:41 AM, onlookerofmayhem said:

To which somebody else said :

On 12/19/2018 at 10:30 AM, johncbdg said:

Hence my response you quoted. I said nothing about outright dismissing anybody's claims. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Ned Merrill

Odd how you mentioned Coke, McDonalds and the tour guide aspect then. which post were you responding to then? Who did you mean to quote if not me?

The picture looks like someone holding their arm out of the water and making a shadow puppet shape with there hand. JMO. 

1_JS171219720.jpg.1249e84a40866c93751792e6bffe5951.jpg

Edited by esoteric_toad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2019 at 2:17 PM, onlookerofmayhem said:

@Ned Merrill

Odd how you mentioned Coke, McDonalds and the tour guide aspect then. which post were you responding to then? Who did you mean to quote if not me?

Well, I'm responding directly to you now. I have a strange mind and a devolving spirit. I am good, however, at taking responsibility for myself, although I'm gonna wager you won't agree. I've already lit one soul up, with that mixed-up mind and my devolving spirit feels darker with each word I type. How about you move on, so that I don't ruffle more feathers beyond yours. Want a better answer, re-read the immediate posts before my response, factor in this latest response and maybe you get your answer, and maybe not. Fact is, regardless of my two responses to you, nothing I write, or take the time to point out, means nothing and cannot be proven from behind a keyboard. 

Now back to the subject at hand.

• Confused 1

• 2 years later...
On 1/6/2019 at 4:09 PM, CuCulaine said:

I agree all the reports at time of day and month do not seem to be collected in one data base looking for a pattern. With weather patterns.

Edited by CuCulaine
new thought

On 2/18/2019 at 8:43 PM, Ned Merrill said:

Well, I'm responding directly to you now. I have a strange mind and a devolving spirit. I am good, however, at taking responsibility for myself, although I'm gonna wager you won't agree. I've already lit one soul up, with that mixed-up mind and my devolving spirit feels darker with each word I type. How about you move on, so that I don't ruffle more feathers beyond yours. Want a better answer, re-read the immediate posts before my response, factor in this latest response and maybe you get your answer, and maybe not. Fact is, regardless of my two responses to you, nothing I write, or take the time to point out, means nothing and cannot be proven from behind a keyboard. 

Now back to the subject at hand.

Well I believe unless a physical specimen is brought in for public inspection provided to view all sightings as such will be believed as hoaxes, etc. Until you encounter one !

Edited by CuCulaine