Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do people believe what they believe?

Jodie.Lynne

MODS: I am putting this here because I think it fits into the "Beliefs" portion of the sections title. If it isn't appropriate here, please move to the correct sub forum

I mean, I can understand why people would want to believe in deities, sort of. Belief in a supreme being can bring comfort to some; perhaps a sense of order, or justice that things are under control. That "good" will triumph over "evil" in the end. That the faithful will be rewarded for their loyalty.  I get that.

But what I cannot fathom, what makes me shake my head in bewilderment, are those who believe in the most bizarre notions like hollow earths, reptilians, mind controlling government plots, Atlantis, flat earth, and other (to me) nonsensical ideas.

With biased sources, sheer woo, and a refusal to accept factual data, these believers in the fantastical persevere.

My question, to anyone who believes in alternative history, or outrageous claims is, WHY? what is the overpowering need that drives such belief, even in the face of prodigious evidence to the contrary?

Of course, believers in deities are also welcome to provide the reasons for their beliefs as well.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I came to faith as a child.  I, as is the case with many, wandered away then returned later in life.  I read extensively in the Bible over the years and today I see very clear indications that prophetic predictions of what is referred to as the "last days" or "end times" are being manifest in increasing magnitude.  Those who don't see them now, are simply unwilling or unable to accept them for what they are.  That will change at some point but it will take great sorrow and fear before they do.  At least they WILL see in time.  Without getting into any discussion of specifics or reasons - which I've found to be pointless here - that is my reason for faith as an adult.  It is simply that I SEE these things happening and increasing both in frequency and magnitude.  Those who categorize a person with faith in a Creator God as being the same as the rest who have "outlandish" beliefs are welcome to do so.  Bothers me not at all, no offense taken.  To each his own.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

MODS: I am putting this here because I think it fits into the "Beliefs" portion of the sections title. If it isn't appropriate here, please move to the correct sub forum

I mean, I can understand why people would want to believe in deities, sort of. Belief in a supreme being can bring comfort to some; perhaps a sense of order, or justice that things are under control. That "good" will triumph over "evil" in the end. That the faithful will be rewarded for their loyalty.  I get that.

But what I cannot fathom, what makes me shake my head in bewilderment, are those who believe in the most bizarre notions like hollow earths, reptilians, mind controlling government plots, Atlantis, flat earth, and other (to me) nonsensical ideas.

With biased sources, sheer woo, and a refusal to accept factual data, these believers in the fantastical persevere.

My question, to anyone who believes in alternative history, or outrageous claims is, WHY? what is the overpowering need that drives such belief, even in the face of prodigious evidence to the contrary?

Of course, believers in deities are also welcome to provide the reasons for their beliefs as well.

I've asked a similar question as this. The only answer I know from what I've gathered is that such beliefs on some level "feel good." don't ask me why.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Argumentative attention seekers.There's no reason.

Each individual subject on your list is a separate discussion. The reason I might believe in some of the things you would call 'outrageous' would be based on my reasoned assessment of the evidence and argumentation I have come across.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It sounds like you're describing two groups and they both believe the are powerless. 

One has someone to help them.  The self hypnotise through prayer and tap into some unknown grit to eventually swing things their way. They thank some else and for the help and going believing they powerless.

The other thinks everything has conspired against them.  They're forthright about their beliefs - when (to coin a phrase) they're really "forthwrong".  This alienates some; and they flock to those with the same persecution complex.

There's some Cornflakes Psychology for you.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

I have often wondered the same thing. I know the answer is somewhere in the realm of psychiatry and human behavior.

I've always meant to buy this book, I just never have;

https://www.amazon.com/People-Believe-Weird-Things-Pseudoscience/dp/0805070893/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1487022787&sr=1-1&keywords=Why+People+Believe+Weird+Things

8 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

The needs are all different. People construct beliefs to meet internal psychological needs 

For example if  you  don't trust governments  you  are  likely to construct beliefs about conspiracies and fake moon landings etc 

if you have a fear for where the earth is going, you might construct  belief in a religion or aliens who will save us all.

If you feel lonely or unloved you might create a belief in a  being who loves you and keeps you company 

As long as there is no conclusive proof that your belief cannot be correct, then any belief is legitimate 

it is best if it is constructive in outcome, eg it keeps you happy, or relieves worries ,  but unless it can be proven wrong, then it is legitimate.

There is no evidence that alien beings do not exist, (as one example)  so belief in them is perfectly legitimate  

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Haha 1

A feeling that--somehow--the grass is always greener on the other side of the hill. Life is boring, so let us consider the possibility of romantical, fanciful things, strange lands, exotic beings, angels, demons, gods, a wonderful life after death that never ends. We can imagine anything we want to, research and rationalize and convince ourselves they must be true, somehow. There's nothing to lose; the grave awaits us all, so why not imagine a get out of death free card? Some people--most of us, actually--aren't content to accept their fate, embrace their material mortality, some because they fear death and others because of a gut feeling there really is something more. Alien visitations and lost continents are elements of this desire, this urge to see beyond life's horizons. Man is the animal, perhaps the only one, that asks the question, Why?

• Like 4

Technically speaking, its all in the language that constructs the thoughts ...

~

How language shapes the way we think | Lera Boroditsky TED Verified • 2.3M views

[00.14:13]

~

• Like 2

It turns out that if you go out and ask people who hold the beliefs, a variety of reasons emerge.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=street+epistemology

Not always. There are cognitive pathologies, and even some healthy people are reluctant to discuss cherished beliefs, some even get hostile about it. But plenty of healthy people hold doubt-worthy views with remarkable confidence, and are willing to talk about that.

Ultimately, what potentially distinguishes street epistemology from many of the discussions that occur here at UM is the emphasis on what people believe, with how much confidence, and why they have whatever confidence they do, rather than overt persuasion one way or the other. The street epistemologist would be delighted if a subject "converted," but the effort is worthwhile even if the interviewee only improves their own and our understanding of the belief commitment being explored.

ETA @third_eyeOnce upon a time, I worked alongside a retired military aviator. He habituatlly organized space according to the cardinal directions, rather than bodily (right and left). Since I wanted to work with him, I did, too :) . But driving on the roads, if I didn't use right and left, then I'd end up crashing into oncoming traffic. I wager my co-worker used right and left when he drove, but simply didn't talk about it.

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, eight bits said:

ETA @third_eyeOnce upon a time, I worked alongside a retired military aviator. He habituatlly organized space according to the cardinal directions, rather than bodily (right and left). Since I wanted to work with him, I did, too :) . But driving on the roads, if I didn't use right and left, then I'd end up crashing into oncoming traffic. I wager my co-worker used right and left when he drove, but simply didn't talk about it.

To be fair, on coming traffic or road way directions are the least of the concerns for a tribe out in the outback, What I found most interesting was the bit about how the concept of 'time' as it applies to them, what was it about the ancients  and their concept of time again ?

Time to give some time for the proper nature of time ...

~

Most websites and books on the subject begin with a candid admission that time is a curious and slippery concept which continues to defy definitive explanation despite hundreds, even thousands, of years of trying. We are told that time is “enigmatic” and “ineffable”, but that does not help us much in our search for the true nature of time. Nearly two and a half thousand years ago, Aristotle contended that, “time is the most unknown of all unknown things”, and arguably not much has changed since then.

~

• exactly what is time com

~

I figure its also about time to have a proper look at what makes such beliefs as evolved beliefs before there this modern foundation of thought constructs as to what applies as some Organized Structure of Sophisticated Beliefs.

What means Civilization, what means 'mankind' and most of all, what or when a Socially Advanced community qualifies as having the qualifications as to what a belief in reality truly means ... meanwhile much of what Life is defined as is now being reexamined from what tiny little microbes from the bottom of the deepest oceans are telling Science about what Life means to Time and what Time means to Life.

~

This deep-sea mystery is changing our understanding of life | Karen Lloyd - YouTube

[00.13:09]

~

• Like 3

It all just makes sense.

Why is it so hard to believe in life sucking immortal shapeshifting lizard overlords?

Edited by Ares_Zeusson
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Ares_Zeusson said:

It all just makes sense.

Why is it so hard to believe in life sucking immortal shapeshifting lizard overlords?

Hard? You didn't know my ex-mother-in-law.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Hard? You didn't know my ex-mother-in-law.

She sounds hot! Does she look good in leather with a whip in her hand?

• Confused 1

@Jodie.Lynne

If you had to answer your own question? What would you surmise if you had to guess at your current state of knowledge? 

• Like 2

This is basically the premise to my scepticism thread!

Very few people actually reflect upon why they believe in what they believe in, objectively.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, danydandan said:

This is basically the premise to my scepticism thread!

Very few people actually reflect upon why they believe in what they believe in, objectively.

Complementary, perhaps.

Conceptually, skeptics have shared ideas about how to think critically, and a shared value about doing so as much as possible. The OP's question is about what people actually do, often instead of critically thinking in some cases, maybe despite valuing it in principle. There are also apparently competent critical thinkers who come to some conclusions that are disfavored among skeptics generally, and that's especially interesting.

So, lots to talk about concerning what people actually do, and lots to talk about defining one school of sel-conscious right thinking.

@third_eye

Time scale differences are a trip. Even "small" differences are interesting. The native mammal species here in New England range in size from a tiny shrew (body weight 2-3 grams) to moose (500 kilos or so; called "elk" in many places outside North America). The shrew lives and moves on a time scale so fast (compared with the constant tiny movement of human eyeballs) that they are practically invisible to humans in most situations. Meanwhile, moose are so big that the lapse between intention and actual movement is noticeable by humans. Thus, some people think moose are stupid because they are "slow." The reality, though (based on successful communication and co-ordination of activities) is that moose are cognitively competitive with dogs and deer, it just takes some time to move all that mass in a responsive way.

Anyway, that last TED talk was mind-expanding. Thank you for posting it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, eight bits said:

Anyway, that last TED talk was mind-expanding. Thank you for posting it.

Most welcome, I only got this rich vein of newly gathered information just a few weeks ago and I am only just getting into the groove of it all, Can't say I fully grasp the full scope of what it all means though. Mind expanding is right there where I am bubbling in :tu:

~

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MERRY DMAS said:

@Jodie.Lynne

If you had to answer your own question? What would you surmise if you had to guess at your current state of knowledge? 

Darling Davros, I do not have to guess!

I try to base my beliefs on several factors. In no particular order those factors are: 

-Objective evidence

-Probability of a event/thing happening or existing 

-Reliability, motives, and condition of witnesses/claimants

-Observable reality

-Knowledge, both personal and gleaned from others.

There are probably more, but I'm working on my first cup of coffee and most of my brain is still trying to resist the concept of "awake" :D

Reading through the responses, I was actually hoping that believers of various types would chime in for the reason that they believe.

One poster stated that they "see the evidence" for their belief. That is good for them, but I do believe that their evidence is purely subjective.

What I was hoping for was for people to honestly express what their beliefs bring to them.

LIKE:

"I believe in crypto's because I need a sense of magical wonder in the world"

"I believe in god because it gives me a sense of security"

"I believe in world wide conspiracies because I need a reason for why my life is not perfect"

But sadly, I think that kind of self assessment will be sorely lacking.

• Like 1