Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Precognition

traveling_man

I am new to the forum and I usually just lurk but I have decided to be an active participant. I hope to share ideas and experiences with others. Here is my topic:

Precognition being the ability to know something before it happens. Precognitive dreaming being a dream where you see or experience something before it happens.

My direct experience is with precognitive dreaming. When I was in the Navy at A school in Pensacola FL I had an odd experience. After concluding a test I went outside into a courtyard to smoke a cigarette. After smoking I crouched and leaned against the wall to take a nap since i finished the test well before most of the class. I had a dream that i was in a radio shack looking around. I started playing songs on a keyboard, which at the time I did not know how to play. While I was playing one of the cashiers asked me, "Are you getting on the internet with that?" I looked at him because it was an odd thing to ask. Then he said "You know that's what they are for, right? Getting on the internet." I just laughed it off then left the store. I got in a car with some other people and I was sitting behind the driver. The dream ended with us getting car jacked and the driver getting shot in the head. I ended up killing the car jacker from behind then we got in a terrible wreck. To me this was a very strange dream. There are other details that I remember of the dream but do not seem to be relevant.

So about 4 years later I was out of the Navy and back home. I had just lost my job and was looking for a new one. I was out having lunch with my girlfriend and her mother when I decided to stop in the nearby Radio Shack to apply for a job. While I was waiting for an available cashier, they were busy trying to sell cellphone plans, I started playing some songs on a keyboard. I had only learned how to play that same year. While I was focused on playing one of the cashiers said to me: "Are you getting on the internet with that?" I began to panic a little then he said "You know that's what they are for, right? Getting on the internet." The reason I panicked was that if this part of the dream that I had came true what about the car jacking? When we got back into the car I moved into the other rear seat because on the way to the store I was sitting behind the driver. I also insisted that everyone lock their doors because the car did not power locks and did not lock automatically when the car starts moving. I thought that if I changed as many details as I could then I could prevent that event. The driver argued with me for a while about locking the doors saying that I was being paranoid, so this changed the timing of the event too. I didn't tell them about the dream. We didn't get car jacked on the way home but sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I didn't have that dream.

Edited by traveling_man
  • Like 2

@traveling_man

Wow, good story. Very odd that you would remember a dream 4 years later and be paniced. I can't say I can remember any dream with much details from even last night. This certainly suggests a non-normal type of dream.

A precognitive dream to help prevent a future disaster is an interesting theory here. 

It was a very odd dream and I thought about it a lot. I have had another experience while dreaming. In my dream I was standing on the side of the road looking at a house. That was it, nothing else stood out about the dream. About a month later I was visiting a friend at his new house and when I stepped out of the car and looked at the house it was the same house and scene as my dream. I don't know why something so trivial would be shown in a dream.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, traveling_man said:

Has anyone  had similar experiences?

Hi,

I have. I recall a dream once where I realized I needed to change my outlook on some thing in order to shift that potential outcome to some thing better.

John

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Confirmation bias and self fulfilling prophecy. 

How could I have made that cashier say the exact things that he did in my dream?  I don't see how that was self fulfilling. There should have been no confirmation bias either because it was just a weird dream that I had a few years earlier. In no way did I anticipate it to be fulfilled. If anyone is guilty of confirmation bias it would be you as a sceptic. You will always interpret things like this through the lens of your skepticism trying to dismiss it as rubbish.

Unless you are saying that my subconscious mind is guilty of those things. I still can't see it for my first example but I can see that as a possibility for the second. I don't remember when or where I had the dream and my subconscious mind could have constructed the whole scenario. This leads to the possibility that you can never really trust your senses.

1 hour ago, John from Lowell said:

Hi,

I have. I recall a dream once where I realized I needed to change my outlook on some thing in order to shift that potential outcome to some thing better.

John

John,

Did the realization occur during the dream or upon reflection on it?

36 minutes ago, traveling_man said:

How could I have made that cashier say the exact things that he did in my dream?  I don't see how that was self fulfilling. There should have been no confirmation bias either because it was just a weird dream that I had a few years earlier. In no way did I anticipate it to be fulfilled. If anyone is guilty of confirmation bias it would be you as a sceptic. You will always interpret things like this through the lens of your skepticism trying to dismiss it as rubbish.

Unless you are saying that my subconscious mind is guilty of those things. I still can't see it for my first example but I can see that as a possibility for the second. I don't remember when or where I had the dream and my subconscious mind could have constructed the whole scenario. This leads to the possibility that you can never really trust your senses.

You are only 5% conscious and 95% subconscious. Our brains are wired for pattern recognition and yes it is confirmation bias and probably magical thinking as well. Our brains like to "fill in the blanks".

12 hours ago, traveling_man said:

I am new to the forum and I usually just lurk but I have decided to be an active participant. I hope to share ideas and experiences with others. Here is my topic:

Precognition being the ability to know something before it happens. Precognitive dreaming being a dream where you see or experience something before it happens.

My direct experience is with precognitive dreaming. When I was in the Navy at A school in Pensacola FL I had an odd experience. After concluding a test I went outside into a courtyard to smoke a cigarette. After smoking I crouched and leaned against the wall to take a nap since i finished the test well before most of the class. I had a dream that i was in a radio shack looking around. I started playing songs on a keyboard, which at the time I did not know how to play. While I was playing one of the cashiers asked me, "Are you getting on the internet with that?" I looked at him because it was an odd thing to ask. Then he said "You know that's what they are for, right? Getting on the internet." I just laughed it off then left the store. I got in a car with some other people and I was sitting behind the driver. The dream ended with us getting car jacked and the driver getting shot in the head. I ended up killing the car jacker from behind then we got in a terrible wreck. To me this was a very strange dream. There are other details that I remember of the dream but do not seem to be relevant.

So about 4 years later I was out of the Navy and back home. I had just lost my job and was looking for a new one. I was out having lunch with my girlfriend and her mother when I decided to stop in the nearby Radio Shack to apply for a job. While I was waiting for an available cashier, they were busy trying to sell cellphone plans, I started playing some songs on a keyboard. I had only learned how to play that same year. While I was focused on playing one of the cashiers said to me: "Are you getting on the internet with that?" I began to panic a little then he said "You know that's what they are for, right? Getting on the internet." The reason I panicked was that if this part of the dream that I had came true what about the car jacking? When we got back into the car I moved into the other rear seat because on the way to the store I was sitting behind the driver. I also insisted that everyone lock their doors because the car did not power locks and did not lock automatically when the car starts moving. I thought that if I changed as many details as I could then I could prevent that event. The driver argued with me for a while about locking the doors saying that I was being paranoid, so this changed the timing of the event too. I didn't tell them about the dream. We didn't get car jacked on the way home but sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I didn't have that dream.

When I was 14 my parents asked me what I wanted for Xmas and I said a PlayStation 2. They went out and bought it, I watched them wrap it, and then they stored it away upstairs. On Xmas morning when I opened my presents my PlayStation 2 had been replaced by a mountain bike. That perplexed the hell out of me and I ended up convincing myself that I must have dreamed it happening.

That doesnt sound like anything odd happening does it? Well what was odd is that the PlayStation 2 didnt exist back then. It got released five years later. When I went out and bought one I was astonished to find that it looked identical to the one I had watched my parents wrap when I was 14. That is the craziest experience I have had happen to me in my life.

• Like 2

What do I think is going on with precognition or reality glitches?

I think what we are experiencing right now has already happened, and a long-time ago. We dont experience it that because of the way consciousness works but when it goes off-course then what we arent supposed to experience yet can break through. It can hop the queue so to speak giving us precognition and reality glitches.

Your ability to alter the outcome is interesting, it suggests some flexibility over altering what is to happened yet (not happen lol). 

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RabidMongoose said:

I think what we are experiencing right now has already happened, and a long-time ago. We dont experience it that because of the way consciousness works but when it goes off-course then what we arent supposed to experience yet can break through. It can hop the queue so to speak giving us precognition and reality glitches.

Your ability to alter the outcome is interesting, it suggests some flexibility over altering what is to happened yet (not happen lol). 

Well, just because one part of my dream actually happened doesn't mean that the other part was supposed to happen too. The reason I panicked was the thought that the car jacking could happen next. I can't make the claim that I prevented it, but it is an interesting thought.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

You are only 5% conscious and 95% subconscious. Our brains are wired for pattern recognition and yes it is confirmation bias and probably magical thinking as well. Our brains like to "fill in the blanks".

Interesting, our conscious mind can be likened to the tip of an iceberg that is visible above the surface of the water. While our subconscious mind creates and projects our perceptions our conscious mind has to interpret them. If you look at an optical illusion at the right angle, or just long enough, then you can see the object for what it is and not how your subconscious mind is trying to make sense of it.

Nope. Our subconscious is the hardware, consciousness is just the desktop. Perception is a feedback loop between sensory awareness and process as conscious awareness. "You" barely exist.

5% conscious

Edited by XenoFish
Link added

3 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

You have some interesting thoughts here, RM. I wonder if our glitches come from avoiding or offsetting what happens by us and others, as I ponder your idea. The bolded bit, especially "a long time ago" struck a really deep chord with me, as if I almost remembered something. I need to meditate on it a while. Thanks.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, traveling_man said:

Interesting, our conscious mind can be likened to the tip of an iceberg that is visible above the surface of the water. While our subconscious mind creates and projects our perceptions our conscious mind has to interpret them. If you look at an optical illusion at the right angle, or just long enough, then you can see the object for what it is and not how your subconscious mind is trying to make sense of it.

this is why I find Carl Jung's shadow work so useful and interesting. Getting into your subconscious is interesting stuff and also can go far in helping us to understand our issues and work on freeing ourselves from them.

6 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

You have some interesting thoughts here, RM. I wonder if our glitches come from avoiding or offsetting what happens by us and others, as I ponder your idea. The bolded bit, especially "a long time ago" struck a really deep chord with me, as if I almost remembered something. I need to meditate on it a while. Thanks.

This is how dejavu feels to me. It always feels like what I am experiencing now happened in the past. I have migraines sometimes and they can affect your perception, especially visual. Can dejavu be a period where your conscious mind is out of sync with your subconscious mind and so you have a longer delay before perceiving, therefore it feels like it happened in the past because it actually did, just longer than we are used to? If that is the case sometimes it doesn't rule out the possibility of alternative causes during other episodes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, traveling_man said:

This is how dejavu feels to me. It always feels like what I am experiencing now happened in the past. I have migraines sometimes and they can affect your perception, especially visual. Can dejavu be a period where your conscious mind is out of sync with your subconscious mind and so you have a longer delay before perceiving, therefore it feels like it happened in the past because it actually did, just longer than we are used to? If that is the case sometimes it doesn't rule out the possibility of alternative causes during other episodes.

I honestly believe that the sceptics are right insofar as that a LOT (not all) of our deva ju experiences are simply that we link up something now with something in our past that was very like. 

But, there are experiences which seem to be outside of this, and those are interesting to look at. I had one like your first one, but, how can you ever know if it was true or just coincidence later? It also only had a lag time of about a week. In brief, I had this dream of a terrific car crash and I was in the passenger seat of a tan sedan of some sort and got my legs really busted up badly. It was very vivid but, we owned no tan cars and I knew of nobody who did offhand. I just resolved to avoid riding in any :). Week later drove over to meet my assigned roomie for freshman year of college and we set out to head for a restaurant and his car was tan. I balked, and he saw it and asked why and I told him, feeling kind of stupid, but insisted we use my red car. He wanted to drive though so went inside and asked his Dad for keys to the other car which was blue and after too much delay we finally drive off, kind of awkward as who refuses to ride in a car over a dream? I felt stupid but hey. We got into traffic and it was backed up and then where we would have turned into the restaurant, there had just been a wreck within the past few minutes, the car had been turning and gotten hit in the passenger side. It was tan.

Wierded us both out. Had I seen that car in the dream and someone else's experience that only seemed like mine? Had we missed being the wrecked car due to the delay of a few minutes? Was it just coincidence entirely? Heck if I know. I take it just as proof that odd things happen and I don't know it all for sure. 

The older I get (am 59 now) the more I have seen glitches like this which don't have certain answers unless you go the "it's all bs" route, which I don't. My memory is not that bad, I am not that stupid, and glitches do happen. Maybe we sometimes sense events ahead because they actually have already happened? I find that notion from RM to be interesting.

Just now, traveling_man said:

That's a nice theory but it hasn't been confirmed yet, at least not at the time of that report. At this point it sounds more like confirmation bias. 

Which is what you're dealing with. No one is psychic. Just people who desperately want to believe so.

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Which is what you're dealing with. No one is psychic. Just people who desperately want to believe so.

I am not desperate, just sharing an interesting experience that I had and hoping for an interesting conversation,  which I believe I succeeded at. I am less stuck on the possibility that it was precognition than you are that it was not. I just know that it was not the same experience of dejavu, albeit only because it did not feel the same. I had an exact memory of the dream I had and the time and place that it occurred.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Not A Rockstar said:

this is why I find Carl Jung's shadow work so useful and interesting. Getting into your subconscious is interesting stuff and also can go far in helping us to understand our issues and work on freeing ourselves from them.

I will have to look into this, thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, traveling_man said:

In my opinion the conscious exists here and now but the subconscious stretches out far into the past and future. I will go as far as to say that I think its stretches out across the whole of time.

When we go to sleep we partially close down our conscious minds and enter into a dream state. But there is an even deeper level below that. One where there is just the subconscious existing across the whole of time. Deja-vu is when we are wide awake and encounter an experience that triggers our recollection of something that the subconscious mind has already experienced. So we remember having already done it.

I have had a Deja-Vu before where not only have I remembered having already experienced something but remember what was about to happen too. And it did exactly as I remembered. That made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

I have been working on an idea about the wave-particle duality of mind. Particle mind (conscious) has a specific place in time like an object. But the wave aspect of mind (subconscious) doesnt have a location in time. It exists across time instead. Anyway, thats just my thoughts and opinions.

To me reality glitches happen when the consciousness gets disrupted while awake causing the subconscious to rise to the surface and the situation gets all messed up.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, traveling_man said:

John,

Did the realization occur during the dream or upon reflection on it?

After reflection. The dream itself made a strong impression on me which required assessment.

• Like 3