Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New brain scanner to 'reveal the human soul'

UM-Bot

Always thought the soul was invisible? how can a MRI machine pick that up?

And even if they do produce this ONE MRI machine, its going to be in one location lol... so when you go get an MRI scan , its not going to be with this monster.

• Like 2

I imagine the soul as being a undiscovered group or particles in a state of quantum flux..... consciousness brings them into our universe/dimension..... unconsciousness and death they are in a different universe/dimension.

Edited by Talion78
  • Like 3

When I read this I got the image of it frying your brain lol. I doubt very much it will find the soul. I think @Talion78 is more accurate and the soul is in flux and transient and not something physical to show up in an MRI, hence why so many deny it even exists.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

When I read this I got the image of it frying your brain lol. I doubt very much it will find the soul. I think @Talion78 is more accurate and the soul is in flux and transient and not something physical to show up in an MRI, hence why so many deny it even exists.

Yeah, this is journalistic hyperbole.  What the scientists seem to say is that we can study neural activity at a level 1000 times  the current resolution of current MRI's I think he said we would be able to explain neural activity neuron by neuron and do for the human brain what Newton and Einstein did for the physical universe.  That is awesome, but not as attention grabbing as finding your soul.  "Gotcha, made you read."

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

Yeah, this is journalistic hyperbole.  What the scientists seem to say is that we can study neural activity at a level 1000 times  the current resolution of current MRI's I think he said we would be able to explain neural activity neuron by neuron and do for the human brain what Newton and Einstein did for the physical universe.  That is awesome, but not as attention grabbing as finding your soul.  "Gotcha, made you read."

agreed. Sorry, my mind was buzzing on another track when I posted and I left out the bit about click bait :). 

This really does bode to open up a lot more insight into the mind, though... provided we get straight results out of those countries. They have on rare occasions released ….bs. Maybe this will be different. One thing it might be able to do is pinpoint death and help us nail down what an NDE actually is - is the brain still alive enough to perceive and remember or is it not? That would be cool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It will never happen because human consciousness cannot be measured nor calculated because it is unique in a way that cannot be duplicated and the soul lives there with in.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

We completely agree. I do believe there is a soul tbh. I don't believe it can be detected by machines. It would have to exist in a dimension out of this dimension were in. It's not hard maybe for some to accept that Hey maybe there is alot more to this world and universe we see.. Think about how complicated the quantum world is and how discovering amazing particles are just a piece to the puzzle. I believe in God and the supernatural I honestly don't have the authority to deny He exists. We're all entitled to our opinion. To many mathematical equations have been discovered and many more to come for me to say hmmm this puzzle of life came together with no outside help. Like I said we all think different but its good to express your opinions to open up others

Edited by AllPossible
  • Like 1

Well, if science could pinpoint the center of imagination, I guess that'd be finding the 'soul'.

Edited by Seti42
  • Like 1

And just in time for Christmas

773761055_1329215.gif 

• Haha 1

Human soul: Your brain is a calculator registering the operations you encode in it and linking them together, nothing more. That's how the human mind is randomly generated, nothing ethereal about this.

3 hours ago, Manni said:

Human soul: Your brain is a calculator registering the operations you encode in it and linking them together, nothing more. That's how the human mind is randomly generated, nothing ethereal about this.

I'm all for explaining everything mathematically, scientifically etc with human limited explanations, obviously because i am human and it makes sense, but watch this video, it might change your perception of it a little bit. 

It has been said to me that to believe in something without (empirical) proof of its existence is akin, identical even to believing in a unicorn, ie fairytales. No matter the level of 'circumstantial evidence'.

lost-unicorn.jpg

So if you believe in the existence of souls, please ease off the drugs ok? We dont take kindly to open minded people who believe in things that arent (ap)proved.

Just now, Phaeton80 said:

It has been said to me that to believe in something without (empirical) proof of its existence is akin, identical even to believing in a unicorn, ie fairytales. No matter the level of 'circumstantial evidence'.

lost-unicorn.jpg

So if you believe in the existence of souls, please ease off the drugs ok? We dont take kindly to open minded people who believe in things that arent (ap)proved.

Being open minded to things you do not understand is the best way, consciousness is not understood at all, i'm not set in stone about anything, nor set in my ways, i obviously lean heavily to things that have been proven scientifically but i'm not narrow minded enough to rule out anything in a universe nobody knows anything about, i'm not religious at all nor have any religious beliefs in anyway either.

• Like 2

I am not religious, anymore, but, I do believe in the soul and always will. Science has nothing to say to it. I doubt this new MRI will change that. But, it is fun to wonder what it may add to what we know.

• Like 2

I believe that quantum physics is involved in how the brain works. Look at Penrose-Hameroff's theory Orch OR. In its extension it implies that consciousness survives death.

Edited by fred_mc
  • Like 1

Those that believe need no proof and for those that don't believe there is no proof that they will ever believe.

• Like 1

Isn't this a bit like believing that you'll find a whole bunch of people if you open up an old radio? Time will (hopefully) tell if the brain is "all there is", or if it's just a receiver of sorts.

On 12/20/2018 at 2:22 PM, Not A Rockstar said:

MRI creates images by pulsing RF energy into the tissues, allowing that energy to be released and measured by antennas in 3 planes and the sampled data then constructed into an image by an algorithm.   The resolution/slice thickness is achieved by the magnet's strength and the amount of RF being pulsed.  There is no ionizing radiation like X-Ray that can damage tissue but tissue heating IS a concern.  I'd be very interested to see how they've solved the heating vs scan-time problem.  The idea of finding a "soul" is like the scientists in the 1800's who attempted to weigh an individual as they died to see how much the soul weighed.  :) If they actually can get extreme resolution without damaging the living tissue it will be a great advance for the field and science in general.  Provided they publish and give the world a chance to reproduce the results.

• Like 1

I hope not because we would realize how scarce the soul actually is :D

• Haha 1

Back when I believed in God and the existence of souls I had a theory that I was born without one. That God had messed up and sent me down without the thing that made it possible for humans to connect and love each other. I was empty and that's why nobody loved me or cared about me and why I couldn't make any meaningful connections with people I met. Why I was so easy to discard and forget.

I was 12.

Now i know it's just cause i'm a loser.

43 minutes ago, Robotic Jew said:

Back when I believed in God and the existence of souls I had a theory that I was born without one.

You're a ginger too? :lol:

Seriously man let me be honest with you. Life sucks for everyone to a greater or lesser degree and a pity party for one doesn't solve anything. Been there done that, ain't worth it. 

• Sad 1