Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I see animations just after waking up ?

rcranz7

This happened a few times right after waking up in the morning...

I wake up feeling refreshed and wide awake. But I'm not eager to jump out of bed right away, so I continue lying in bed for a few minutes with my eyes closed. While my eyes are closed, it's not entirely pitch black.  I sometimes see flashes or floating speckles as my eyes are closed, but on some rare occasions the tiny flashes/lights transform into a mini movie screen where animated clips play right before my eyes! They look like Disney or Tom & Jerry style characters, but I swear I've never seen these characters before.  One time there was a little spaceman sitting in a control room operating levers and buttons.... and another time I saw a funny-looking wolf character with a big smile on his face running across the screen. It was totally bizarre!

Keep in mind, this happens in the daytime, just after awaking. I was fully awake, refreshed and sober after a good night's sleep.  I also don't drink alcohol or do drugs and I have no history of mental illness. I'm healthier than most people who I know. I know about sleep paralysis, but this is something different because I'm wide awake and not in a paralyzed state. The animations seem to be playing right under my eyelids. Sometimes I know it's about to happen, and squinting hard or closing my eyelids tighter seems to cause it more often. I'm 100 percent positive that it was not a dream. I was just lying in bed with my eyes closed, but I was WIDE AWAKE!

Who else has experienced this?  What the heck phenomenon is this?  And why does it have to be freakin cartoons!?!?!????

RobC

• Like 1

• The title was changed to I see animations just after waking up ?

As Timothy stated it sounds like a hypnopompic experience, could be a waking dream, or you simply have an active imagination. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Timothy said:

I know you think you’re fully awake, but it’s most likely explained by this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnopompic

No. I was 100% awake. No doubts. I was fully awake and refreshed, closed my eyes for about 15 seconds and watched an animation, then opened my eyes and said to myself "I was awake while that happened."  No joke, I was fully awake!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rcranz7 said:

No. I was 100% awake. No doubts. I was fully awake and refreshed, closed my eyes for about 15 seconds and watched an animation, then opened my eyes and said to myself "I was awake while that happened."  No joke, I was fully awake!

I did say that you think you’re fully awake. It’s not abnormal. 

You didn’t explicitly state it (‘right after waking up in the morning’), but I assume that you’re still laying bed when this happens?

I have something similar before I go to sleep.

It is like a film playing in your head which you can also physically see as clear as anything.

I always thought it was just the sign of overtiredness

3 hours ago, Timothy said:

You didn’t explicitly state it (‘right after waking up in the morning’), but I assume that you’re still laying bed when this happens?

Yes, still lying in bed, but wide awake.  I typically just lie there under the covers after I woke, just to enjoy the coziness before I have to jump in the shower and go to work. But I was definitely awake when the animations played. It was very brief, and I tried squinting harder in an effort to keep the animation going, but it disappeared after about 10 seconds. Then I opened my eyes and told myself, "Yup, I know I was awake!"

1 hour ago, Amanda Evans said:

I have something similar before I go to sleep.

It is like a film playing in your head which you can also physically see as clear as anything.

I always thought it was just the sign of overtiredness

I don't know if the animation played in my head, but it seemed right under my closed eyelids, in the darkness that you see once you close your eyes.

3 minutes ago, rcranz7 said:

I don't know if the animation played in my head, but it seemed right under my closed eyelids, in the darkness that you see once you close your eyes.

It's your imagination. Literally.

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Ya, it happens to me when I wake from a vivid dream and want to try to get back into the same dream.

I imagine the dream, then it starts to play out like I’m watching TV. Sometimes I fall asleep and get back into it, sometimes I just give up and open my eyes again. 

The only difference is that OP seems to want a less rational explanation.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Imagination is different than watching a real movie screen.  It's like my eyelids turned into a video projector, and cartoon characters that I've never seen before were playing. No joke!

40 minutes ago, rcranz7 said:

Imagination is different than watching a real movie screen.  It's like my eyelids turned into a video projector, and cartoon characters that I've never seen before were playing. No joke!

Okay, what do you think it is then?

Can you sketch the characters for us?

54 minutes ago, rcranz7 said:

If I used the word visualization would that make it somehow more magical to you. 

8 hours ago, Timothy said:

Ya, it happens to me when I wake from a vivid dream and want to try to get back into the same dream.

I imagine the dream, then it starts to play out like I’m watching TV. Sometimes I fall asleep and get back into it, sometimes I just give up and open my eyes again. 

The only difference is that OP seems to want a less rational explanation.

Same here. It's why I'm saying it's the imagination. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rcranz7 said:

Had a similar experience when l tried the crystal ball idea, or stared into a blue, glass sphere.

Practiced for weeks, and nothing happened but l finally got a result similar to what you saw, or saw a mini blue movie playing in front of me. Pretty cool and it was of a man walking or nothing that l saw before.

And it wasn't my imagination!

B)

• Like 1

On 12/23/2018 at 3:35 AM, Timothy said:

Okay, what do you think it is then?

Can you sketch the characters for us?

I whipped up these crude drawings right now, in a matter of 3-4 minutes, so they are not very detailed.

One cartoon showed a wolf character with a huge smile on his face and his tongue was sticking out.  The wolf was running or shuffling across the screen very fast, so his feet were a blur.

Another cartoon showed a blue/green spaceman wearing a big helmet. He sitting at a console, on a computer or something and pushing buttons. I think the entire room was filled with consoles, levels, buttons, monitors, etc. He did have facial features, like a nose and chin, but they were tiny, like he was a dwarf.

I've seen plenty of cartoons in my life, such as Woody Woodpecker, Tom & Jerry, Looney Tunes, etc., and I swear I've never seen these characters before. Now that I'm an adult, I don't watch cartoons anymore, nor think about them, so I have no idea why these extremely vivid animations appeared right after I woke up in bed, wide awake, but I just laid there with my eyes closed, not eager to jump out of bed right away and shower before work.

spaceman.jpg

wolf.jpg

• Like 4

This subject has been covered before on here but I can do this - get little films to play out when I close my eyes.  It works best when in a bright environment and all my 'films' are viewed from a birds eye point of view.  Scenes are usually of a huge warehouse full of stuff or a factory setting and the people working there, or something that looks like a department store, with counters and goods on display - this one usually seems to have people in 19th century dress, women in long dresses etc.  Always in a dusty sepia colour.  No idea what causes this but entertaining.  Can’t be memory as I have never floated above anything in my life.  It is definitely not connected to sleep as it happens during the day and best when the sun is shining brightly with my eyes lightly closed.  Screwing up my eyes stops it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Susanc241 said:

This subject has been covered before on here but I can do this - get little films to play out when I close my eyes.  It works best when in a bright environment and all my 'films' are viewed from a birds eye point of view.  Scenes are usually of a huge warehouse full of stuff or a factory setting and the people working there, or something that looks like a department store, with counters and goods on display - this one usually seems to have people in 19th century dress, women in long dresses etc.  Always in a dusty sepia colour.  No idea what causes this but entertaining.  Can’t be memory as I have never floated above anything in my life.  It is definitely not connected to sleep as it happens during the day and best when the sun is shining brightly with my eyes lightly closed.  Screwing up my eyes stops it.

Yes, "screwing up" my eyes stops it.  Like when I try squinting harder, in an effort to keep it going.

15 hours ago, Susanc241 said:

Come to think of it, one of my first animations was of a man walking with long, baggy pants on with shoes, or mid 1950's type clothing.

Couldn't get anything by using Google, but it is probably replaying the strongest vibration coming from the object, although for individuals not using something, (furniture the houses dominant vibration is the most likely answer).

If you are in a room which a child was in who watched Warner Bros cartoons in the 70's, religiously, then that might explain it.

B)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tmcom said:

If you are in a room which a child was in who watched Warner Bros cartoons in the 70's, religiously, then that might explain I

I think it might be your getting an image of memory off a spirit as the pics look like old cartoons.For what reason,who knows,your probably just open to it.Paranormal is never what you expect.

7 hours ago, openozy said:

I think it might be your getting an image of memory off a spirit as the pics look like old cartoons.For what reason,who knows,your probably just open to it.Paranormal is never what you expect.

No, seen plenty of ghosts, and l have never seen one that looks like a cartoon, so vibration from the broadcast is the most likely answer. But l know what you are saying, for my specific case, perhaps, but l was using a 70's type blue blop of glass paperweight, so was most likely picking up passerby's in the 50's walking past the shop window.

Tried that with roman rings and picked up a bunch of them fighting over something, (l think that it was a friendly match with a ball) probably a good 2000 years ago.

Funny you expect the distant past to look different to present day movies, but l just saw 20 men in red battle outfits in the mud, having a friendly fight probably over a ball.

Best time machine is in our heads.

^_^

• Like 1

Okay so I do believe that something is going on and it's not your imagination. About 3 months ago I have started to experience stuff that goes on outside my house. At first I thought I was just seeing things like it was my imagination. This would happen at night I live looking at the stars with my binoculars. One night I was using them and everything I was seeing was like cartoon like characters. I took the binoculars off and then things were normal. I would stay up till 3 or 4 in the morning seeing this. Anyways stuff has really gotten more weird. I could now see this without the binoculars, I started to use my phone and record what I was seeing. At first no one else could see what I am seeing. Friends would say that I'm crazy but now my husband is seeing this and my neighbors. I don't know what to make of it. I was going to put the video on a DVD at the store but the machine does not do that it only makes photos or photos on CD. Well I paid for 5 pictures.1 picture came from one video and so forth. I took a photo used a magnifier and all I saw was hundreds and hundreds of faces in the picture. All animated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/30/2018 at 10:20 AM, rcranz7 said:

spaceman.jpg

Wow, that looks like my study at home.  Have you ever seen this one?  But I also hear this song.

c129cs.jpg.caa622b210bc452c58b376ece73341e9.jpg

Edited by 029b10

I used to see dynamic geometric patterns when i was younger whenever i closed my eyes. This does remind me of a few times i saw faces. All different very specific people who i didnt recognise but could see all the details of thier faces and clothes that was weird. Are you watching a lot of cartoons? It sounds like the dream state is continuing from your sleep though when you say just waking up.

• Like 2

• The topic was locked