Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghost hunters faked finding human remains

Still Waters

Police say the discovery of human remains at a cottage near Nantwich is being treated as a ‘hoax’.

Members of a paranormal group contacted police in the middle of the night after claiming to have found a human bone behind a wall of the derelict cottage in Newhall, off the A530.

A video circulating on social media shows the team carrying out their paranormal investigation in the abandoned building and ‘discovering’ the bone.

https://thenantwichnews.co.uk/2018/12/20/human-remains-discovery-in-nantwich-cottage-is-hoax-say-police/

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

It's entertainment not serious paranormal research, and (sadly) it gives genuine ghosthunting a bad name.

Edited by acute
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, acute said:

It's entertainment not serious paranormal research, and (sadly) it gives genuine ghosthunting a bad name.

Calling it ghost hunting is also kinda redundant, don't you think?

Edited by danydandan

Anytime there is money to gain, be it from Ad revenue, book deals or viewers, then you're going to find that even the most well intentioned of people will lie to keep their day job going. The real investigators usually lose money due to self investment and have little to show for it. You can't run a multi season TV show that consists of hundreds of investigations and only a single apparition and a couple of decent EVP's here and there because people would get bored with it and just watch the highlight compilation video on Youtube while the network cancels the show.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NightScreams said:

The real investigators usually lose money due to self investment and have little to show for it.

‘Real’ investigators is sad by definition. 

There’s the slight issue that no one has ever in the history of human kind, be able to produce any kind of conclusive evidence that ghosts exist.

So they are hedging a pretty bad bet if they are trying to honestly hunt something that does not seem to exist. Especially if they are expecting to honestly make money from it. If they have been sucked in and are willing to spend their $$; maybe they need a lesson in gullibility.

The shows make money through entertainment and the gullible, not through any tangible ghost-related stuff.  

7 hours ago, Timothy said:

‘Real’ investigators is sad by definition. 

There’s the slight issue that no one has ever in the history of human kind, be able to produce any kind of conclusive evidence that ghosts exist.

So they are hedging a pretty bad bet if they are trying to honestly hunt something that does not seem to exist. Especially if they are expecting to honestly make money from it. If they have been sucked in and are willing to spend their $$; maybe they need a lesson in gullibility.

The shows make money through entertainment and the gullible, not through any tangible ghost-related stuff.  

Conclusive evidence for ghosts has been made impossible. It's like proving higher dimensions exist despite there is more than enough evidence that would otherwise be more than plenty to put someone away in prison for the rest of their life. It's amusing how evidence works based on context.

• Like 2

I have to agree with you @NightScreams . The best picture in the world will be debunked as photoshopped. The clearest EVP is faked. The problem is, even a believer has to doubt it given the way things are. There is so much fraud out there, so much game playing. There is no evidence I know of even possible.

It is a subjective matter, like faith and many other things, and trying to demand objective evidence is like using a screw driver as a hammer. But, objective proofs do give us a guide at least to strive after. Critical thought is not a threat to "ghost hunting"

It does come down to your ease with a working hypothesis which might never be more than that on this side and confidence in your own experiences. JMO.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, NightScreams said:

Conclusive evidence for ghosts has been made impossible. It's like proving higher dimensions exist despite there is more than enough evidence that would otherwise be more than plenty to put someone away in prison for the rest of their life. It's amusing how evidence works based on context.

Depends if the jury had >50% gullible people really. It would have to be a pretty bad jury.

On circumstantial evidence and opinion only.

2 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

I have to agree with you @NightScreams . The best picture in the world will be debunked as photoshopped. The clearest EVP is faked. The problem is, even a believer has to doubt it given the way things are. There is so much fraud out there, so much game playing. There is no evidence I know of even possible.

*snip*

The problem is that none or the photos, or EVP’s, or videos etc. are verifiable or repeatable. 

If there was really something going on, it would be easy to prove. It makes it hard when the idiots who ‘document’ this stuff never do it properly. More likely that the rational and most logical explanations are correct. 

• Like 1

Not trying to argue, @Timothy , the way things stand there is nothing I know of to prove it to anyone. Given my cynical opinion that at least 3/4 of the folks supposedly investigating are either twits or intentionally doing it for fun and passing it off as serious, I do not expect this to change any time soon. I only blame the doubters when they get ugly or rude to people. No need for that.

I do what I need to do and may never get a science answer as to what it is, and maybe there isn't a need for it anyway. It is rare, and I am not out selling books about what I have seen, so I don't really care about the whole issue of evidence, though I still click on pics and hope for some new insight. I'd like to know what it is. I would love a scientific friend who knew I was not an idiot and dead serious who would work with some hypotheses with me and speculate, but this doesn't happen (or last very long). So, I stick with the workers who know me and help when asked and think it is actually alright that most folks have no idea. 

But, yeah, I wonder, sometimes what is really going on the RARE time I run into the real deal. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Timothy said:

The problem is that none or the photos, or EVP’s, or videos etc. are verifiable or repeatable.

What about The Willard Library Ghost Cams? Those things run 24/7 & repeatedly catch all kinds of stuff.

53 minutes ago, Ares_Zeusson said:

What about The Willard Library Ghost Cams? Those things run 24/7 & repeatedly catch all kinds of stuff.

Most of what I’ve seen look like motion blur. Got a link to any good ones?

• Like 1

This reminds me of a story I read about this group of ghost hunters who would break into a private cemetery in order to do investigations. Ghost hunting is cool, but being disrespectful to private properties and their owners is not cool, yo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SecretSanta said:

Most of what I’ve seen look like motion blur. Got a link to any good ones?

I looked on their site & got bored & gave up.

I know they've got some really good ones but they also seem to post every single picture every single time someone points out the shadow from the lamp stand or the stair banister.

There's just too many that are literally the exact same shadow that's always there for me to continue going through them all.

@Ares_Zeusson, if you find the good ones, please post them.

But from what I just Googled, it’s pretty apparent why I haven’t heard of ‘The Willard Library Ghost Cams’ before. Utter garbage! :w00t:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

may never get a science answer as to what it is

That's because the answer is more psychological than hard science. Beliefs influence our perception of reality. If someone thinks ghost are real, then they are more likely to see ghost, all because they subconscious beliefs are doing "filler work". 

10 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

It is a subjective matter, like faith and many other things, and trying to demand objective evidence is like using a screw driver as a hammer. But, objective proofs do give us a guide at least to strive after. Critical thought is not a threat to "ghost hunting"

It does come down to your ease with a working hypothesis which might never be more than that on this side and confidence in your own experiences. JMO.

To a dismissive armchair skeptic, everything is fake without even looking further into it nor ask any questions. Many hoaxes are debunked by those that look into it and many are genuinely unexplained by even top experts in various fields of science. The latter just leaves an open minded person to consider that maybe science doesn't fully understand the entire universe as the armchair's firmly believe.  Then you have experiences, if you hear a loud and distinct voice call your name and you can't find a source and you know you're the only one home then that leaves such people asking questions but only to labeled as 'gullible' by the armchair leaner's in an attempt to dismiss, ridicule, remove credibility or troll. These things happen with nearly every subject out there. You can't even make a valid point about a political policy without being the receiving end of any of those mentioned . Doubting and questioning is a lot different than just dismissing and ridiculing. Even science has always been comfortable working with hypothesis's until the science catches up to turn one of them into theories with eventual hopes of one of those theories turning into objective truth.

Science is a peer review process of expected and repeatable outcomes. The only research that happens in science are those that receive grants to do so. Historically paranormal research grants have yielded un-expectable and un-repeatable results but the results were more than plenty to leave to question that 'something' we don't understand is going on. Perhaps due to lack of technology or the limited funding to move further which has left a stigmata with Universities that are fearful for giving out grants for any research involving even known phenomena like Ball Lightning because they consider it out of the scope for expectational and repeatable results. This is why the only serious investigations taking place are by experts and amateurs that do it on their spare time at their own expense. 

Obviously anything that is not repeatable with expectable results is never going to have anything whatsoever as evidence. There is more evidence of unseen phenomena than there is of Ball Lightning which wasn't even believed in until the 1960's. So it's arrogant to think that there won't be a written article in 2118 that says "ghosts weren't even believed in until the 2060's. It's just that it's easier to not even think, stick to the known science of today and dismiss actual possibilities because even the most well known scientists in various fields still stay all things are possible.

• Like 2

On 12/22/2018 at 8:21 AM, Still Waters said:

Police say the discovery of human remains at a cottage near Nantwich is being treated as a ‘hoax’.

Members of a paranormal group contacted police in the middle of the night after claiming to have found a human bone behind a wall of the derelict cottage in Newhall, off the A530.

A video circulating on social media shows the team carrying out their paranormal investigation in the abandoned building and ‘discovering’ the bone.

https://thenantwichnews.co.uk/2018/12/20/human-remains-discovery-in-nantwich-cottage-is-hoax-say-police/

Wow! How come this is not surprsing?

On 12/23/2018 at 6:24 AM, XenoFish said:

That's because the answer is more psychological than hard science. Beliefs influence our perception of reality. If someone thinks ghost are real, then they are more likely to see ghost, all because they subconscious beliefs are doing "filler work". 

I am kind of on the fence about this...I have never seen a ghost but just becuase I have not seen one does not mean they don't exists.

Beliefs influence our perception of reality.

I agree with you here.

That's because the answer is more psychological than hard science.

Agree here also.

On 12/23/2018 at 4:40 AM, Timothy said:

@Ares_Zeusson, if you find the good ones, please post them.

But from what I just Googled, it’s pretty apparent why I haven’t heard of ‘The Willard Library Ghost Cams’ before. Utter garbage! :w00t:

ghost.jpg

normal.jpg