Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman charged with pretending to be a witch

UM-Bot

You know i would place it under scamming, but pretending to be a witch? Who makes the final decision on the authenticity of a witch?

• Like 2

You throw her in the water and if she floats, she's a witch.

Unless you have a set of large scales, in which case you see if she weighs the same as a duck.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 4
  • Haha 5

"People proclaimed me a witch here and gave me a nickname, but I'm not a witch. I'm a psychic," she said. 

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/324318/woman-charged-with-pretending-to-be-a-witch

Same scam when it comes to asking for money AND saying they can see the future.

But as for the people who go to her in the first place, well, their gullibility is their own downfall. 

They want to waste their money, its down to them. Threats of bad upcoming events are all part and parcel of this kind of false practice. 

Jeeze, can nor believe some people are still mentally living in the middle ages.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Jeeze, can nor believe some people are still mentally living in the middle ages.

Some individuals want others to tell them how to live. Indecisiveness can be a burden. Easier to have Joe or Jane Psychic tell you what to do.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It sounds like a simple case of fraud. I'm not sure why they had to use this law unless it was just for publicity. What makes the law disturbing to me is the need for someone to prove themselves innocent, like proving Bigfoot doesn't exist. Also, Tiffany claims she's never even read for this woman. This could be a targeted attack. And before you scoff, this sort of thing happens everyday lately. I've been watching the pagan community tear itself apart in the last decade and one of the favorite methods is to report each other for fraud to either social services (if they're getting gov't assistance) or in this case, to the police. 

There has been such an explosion of younger pagans popping up and proclaiming themselves to be from this discipline or that (without much or any training) and putting themselves in harms way. They ignore elder's advice and caution about staying out of the line of fire. Witches make easy and convenient targets and looking at this young lady's Facebook page she has been putting on quite a show. 

• Like 4

Now all she have to do is to prove herself a real witch ... I wonder if she has any ex boyfriends or husbands

Uhmmm ... never mind

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

It ended well, luckily she was not the real witch.

12 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Some individuals want others to tell them how to live. Indecisiveness can be a burden. Easier to have Joe or Jane Psychic tell you what to do.

Then they live in fear when told to pay extra for a curse to be lifted. 

A curse? :rolleyes: these life seekers are the ones cursing themselves by believing in it. 

Superstition + insecurity + belief + reliance on these so called witches and psychics and witch doctors can result in a very dangerous mind bender.

They can call themselves all different names, but the end result is the same, some one turns to them for 'guidance' and ends up getting drawn into the web of what is going to happen next and then 'next' can only happen if you do as advised,  and when a fee is involved, well, they really have become the fly caught in the web.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, XenoFish said:

There are yet others who would have the government or "experts" tell them how they should live and spend their money.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

Then they live in fear when told to pay extra for a curse to be lifted. 

A curse? :rolleyes: these life seekers are the ones cursing themselves by believing in it. 

Superstition + insecurity + belief + reliance on these so called witches and psychics and witch doctors can result in a very dangerous mind bender.

They can call themselves all different names, but the end result is the same, some one turns to them for 'guidance' and ends up getting drawn into the web of what is going to happen next and then 'next' can only happen if you do as advised,  and when a fee is involved, well, they really have become the fly caught in the web.

I agree that charlatanism combined with the credulity of people who want to believe makes for a bad situation. I also believe that fraud is a crime and should be punished, not just for their moral bankruptcy but also to protect potential victims. 

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

@freetoroam I am a little curious about what you mean by saying "life seekers." Would you mind elucidating this for me?

1 minute ago, traveling_man said:

@freetoroam I am a little curious about what you mean by saying "life seekers." Would you mind elucidating this for me?

Are you implying that they believe that with the help of a psychic or witch that they can make a life for themselves that they otherwise would not have?

Edit: Sorry, I did not mean to quote myself.

Edited by traveling_man

The Human race is so entertaining. She professes that she is a psychic not a witch. She does not know who the person who called her a witch is. Well then given she is a psychic it should be easy for her to divine who the culprit is. LOL She must be a very very poor psychic. They should arrest her for fraud not witchcraft.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Same scam when it comes to asking for money AND saying they can see the future.

But as for the people who go to her in the first place, well, their gullibility is their own downfall. 

They want to waste their money, its down to them. Threats of bad upcoming events are all part and parcel of this kind of false practice. 

I mean, is it really a scam when someone is dumb enough to believe in psychics?

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

I mean, is it really a scam when someone is dumb enough to believe in psychics?

It's a scam if they pay. It's dumb either way.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Being a Witch is a registered religion I believe (Wicca), we had a couple a few years back lived a few doors down from us, they were nice enough, didn't do any harm and kept their "beliefs" to themselves.

I think most are like that. Except you have the few crazies who just do weird things.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

It's a scam if they pay. It's dumb either way.

If they're dumb enough to pay a psychic, they deserve to be ripped off

• Like 1

Just now, Imaginarynumber1 said:

True. It's like getting a paid tarot reading. Nothing but guess work.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

There are consumer protection laws for a reason.

4 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Not sure anyone deserves being ripped off, but as i said, their gullibility will be their downfall, emotionally and financially.

1 minute ago, freetoroam said:

Not sure anyone deserves being ripped off, but as i said, their gullibility will be their downfall, emotionally and financially.

Nah. They absolutely deserve to be ripped off. Maybe it will teach them to stop being so dumb.