Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Scudbuster

Ark Encounter Ticket Sales Starting to Tank

62 posts in this topic

Scudbuster

Such a phony place to begin with: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kenemet

If the pattern shown over the past 18 months holds true, the December numbers are going to be very low: https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/2018/10/23/ark-encounter-sold-fewer-tickets-this-september-than-last-september/

January and February should be pretty close to a disaster.  I wonder how long it'll be before we hear those numbers.  And I wonder how Ken Hamm is justifying this to himself and his supporters.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Piney

There should be education fraud laws in the U.S. Most of this garbage along with other woocrap wouldn't be able to exist anymore. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Jodie.Lynne
13 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

And I wonder how Ken Hamm is justifying this to himself and his supporters.

He has already stated that it is the fault of atheists in previous interviews.

• Like 3

Orphalesion

So....it's a crappy "reconstruction" of a mythological ship? That's it?

I wonder how many of their guests are just there to laugh at the whole thing.

• Like 2

Kenemet
30 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

He has already stated that it is the fault of atheists in previous interviews.

Ahhh.  Zillions of 'em, eh?

Something that the guy in the video mentioned was Christmas themed exhibits... and after checking for that, it appears that the Ark Encounter isn't doing anything special for Christmas or any other time of the year.  I assume his deity didn't give him a lot of dogma about marketing.  Frankly, the old "if you build it they will come" paradigm is not necessarily true.

Hankenhunter

But, but...we can ride dinosaurs! My favorite is Spikey the Triceratops. :D

Hank 

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Haha 7

Carnoferox

I hope this misinformation center finally closes.

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 4

Davros of Skaro
5 hours ago, Piney said:

There should be education fraud laws in the U.S. Most of this garbage along with other woocrap wouldn't be able to exist anymore. 

I prefer the freedom that both makes this myth amusement exist along with the freedom to use both acquired knowledge, and logic to realize it's a myth. People are free to use, or little use their brains within the law. 

Now if the latter embraced birth control.

• Haha 2

Tatetopa
6 hours ago, Piney said:

That would be a big problem for textbooks in my old home state of Texas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Jodie.Lynne
34 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

That would be a big problem for textbooks in my old home state of Texas.

I've heard about the Texas Board of Education. A prime example and an answer to when people ask "what harm can religion do?"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

XenoFish

This is a massive waste of money that could've been donated to help kids with cancer. Hell, could've been spend on helping the kids parents pay the hospital and doctor bills.

• Like 2

Jodie.Lynne
2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

This is a massive waste of money that could've been donated to help kids with cancer. Hell, could've been spend on helping the kids parents pay the hospital and doctor bills.

Nah, remember, all those kids with cancer are part of 'gods plan", it's far more important to spread the fairy tale and to show that dinosaurs were gentle beasts who frolicked in the flowers.

• Like 1

XenoFish
Just now, Jodie.Lynne said:

Nah, remember, all those kids with cancer are part of 'gods plan", it's far more important to spread the fairy tale and to show that dinosaurs were gentle beasts who frolicked in the flowers.

And that's why sickens me. Instead of actually doing something actually meaningful, it's all propaganda to spread a memetic virus. I can't help but think of what good could actually be done if "Love thy neighbor, as thyself" was actually implemented large scale. 

• Like 1

Jodie.Lynne

It seems, for most believers that it should read "love thy neighbours as long as they think just like you"

• Like 1

XenoFish
6 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

"love thy neighbours as long as they think just like you"

Which is an unfortunate truth. Not all Christians are like that though, but the mentality does exist to some degree. 

• Like 1

skliss

IMO, he has a right to do whatever he wants with his money. I was just popping in to say Ozzy and Jack seemed to enjoy it when they visited the attraction on their World Detour show.

Jodie.Lynne
3 minutes ago, skliss said:

IMO, he has a right to do whatever he wants with his money. I was just popping in to say Ozzy and Jack seemed to enjoy it when they visited the attraction on their World Detour show.

Except... it wasn't his money that he used. 

• Like 1

skliss
6 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Except... it wasn't his money that he used. 

Then I guess it's up to those people to complain. 

jaylemurph
23 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

Never underestimate how stupid we Americans are in groups. That this place even got built is a testimony to American anti-intellectualism.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Scudbuster
On 12/23/2018 at 10:31 PM, Orphalesion said:

It's probably a very decently constructed ship - but a mythological ship it is indeed.

And yes, as Jaylemurph pointed out, we can be very dumb and easily misled. 

Mr Walker
On 24/12/2018 at 1:36 PM, Piney said:

Americans are constitutionally guaranteed; Freedom OF religion. Not freedom FROM religion :) 

• Thanks 1

Liquid Gardens
11 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Americans are constitutionally guaranteed; Freedom OF religion. Not freedom FROM religion :) 

We actually are guaranteed both (as long as we are going to boil down centuries of jurisprudence into pithy slogans).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

eight bits
29 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

We actually are guaranteed both

You mean we can live under a rock if we want?

The Constitution I've been reading prohibits Congress (in the first instance, now applied to all other governmental entities by the 14th Amendment, related statues and court decisions) from interfering with the free exercise of religion.

Law or no law, not a day goes by while I'm in-country that I do not encounter some manifestation of an American freely expressing their religious opinions. Not just atheists being lippy, either, although that counts, too.

Bottom line: you are no more guaranteed freedom from anybody else's religion than they are from yours. (Yeah, I know, you don't have any religion, but not everybody agrees with you, and isn't that how it always is with rights? People disagree about what's covered and why, all the time.).

Too late for Christmas wishes; Happy Boxing Day!

• Like 2

Liquid Gardens
1 hour ago, eight bits said:

Too late for Christmas wishes; Happy Boxing Day!

You also, and Happy Kwanzaa I believe today too!

1 hour ago, eight bits said:

The Constitution I've been reading prohibits Congress (in the first instance, now applied to all other governmental entities by the 14th Amendment, related statues and court decisions) from interfering with the free exercise of religion.

Agreed but keep reading, that's not all it does, there's a whole other equally important clause you are not mentioning. The parenthetical I added is pretty relevant, there's always going to be issues with condensing amendments down to short slogans.  I didn't say we have 'total' freedom from religion as I didn't think that necessary since we don't have total freedom of religion either; I don't get to use peyote in religious observances that I would consider adopting out of curiosity of what tripping on peyote is like for example. 

My point is that if I had to choose which of these two slogans to use for the Establishment Clause it would be 'freedom from religion', not 'freedom of religion' (although both Clauses, at least indirectly, further both).

Edited by Liquid Gardens
  • Like 3