Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Weird 100-year-old Christmas wishes revealed

UM-Bot

I had to stop reading when I got to the one where the kid chopped off his finger tip with the lawnmower. Ouch. At least I now know to be on the look out for a wagon instead of a sleigh.

57 minutes ago, Echoes said:

Only an American child would threaten to take Santa's head off...

More like any child who never got properly disciplined. Race and country makes no difference, it's all because of a poorly raised child. Some children can overcome and improve themselves from a life of garbage parents, but most don't. The answer is always education. The sad reality is that these kind of people get older and reproduce, creating another generation of spoiled brats that never had a belt or a backhand to the head. This is why crime exists, along with a police force and a court room.

• Like 2

Dudes, taking your head off was a silly phrase, a joking way to say you really hope someone will do something. These days we say, "I'll scob your noggin'" the same way. It's a joke. All kinds of negative things happen when people make assumptions about cultures other than their own, so maybe we should all be a little slower to pass judgement.

Edited by DirtyDocMartens
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Trenix said:

More like any child who never got properly disciplined. Race and country makes no difference, it's all because of a poorly raised child. Some children can overcome and improve themselves from a life of garbage parents, but most don't. The answer is always education. The sad reality is that these kind of people get older and reproduce, creating another generation of spoiled brats that never had a belt or a backhand to the head. This is why crime exists, along with a police force and a court room.

What is wrong with the world why does everyone seem to think beating your kids teaches them not to be violent? That is whats wrong with people these days they are taught to be controlled by fear and not think for themaelves. The actual sad thing is how many people reproduce thinking the only way you can communicate with someone smaller than you is beating them up and bullying them. as a parent i explain things to my child and he is incredibly good because he appreciates my love for him and chooses to be the best he can. Its sick that you think crime exists because people werent beaten enough... Its always the moms who try to pressure others into the archaic behavior whos kids go straight to jail from what i witnessed. Talk about garbage parents. They never taught thier kids right and wrong just beat the fear into them of getting caught. So thankful my son doesnt act like the kids of garbage parents like you mentioned that would rather hurt children than explain to them what they did wrong. Psychology isnt hard if you excercise a little more intelligence and treat your kids properly you dont have to intimidate them for them to always want to do the right thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DirtyDocMartens said:

Dudes, taking your head off was a silly phrase, a joking way to say you really hope someone will do something. These days we say, "I'll scob your noggin'" the same way. It's a joke. All kinds of negative things happen when people make assumptions about cultures other than their own, so maybe we should all be a little slower to pass judgement.

nah i never heard that but i still hear ill knock his head off. Yeah that kid sounds pretty bad such a shame nobody was there to hit him until it smoothed out his paychological disturbance (sarcasm)

1 hour ago, Nnicolette said:

What is wrong with the world why does everyone seem to think beating your kids teaches them not to be violent? That is whats wrong with people these days they are taught to be controlled by fear and not think for themaelves. The actual sad thing is how many people reproduce thinking the only way you can communicate with someone smaller than you is beating them up and bullying them. as a parent i explain things to my child and he is incredibly good because he appreciates my love for him and chooses to be the best he can. Its sick that you think crime exists because people werent beaten enough... Its always the moms who try to pressure others into the archaic behavior whos kids go straight to jail from what i witnessed. Talk about garbage parents. They never taught thier kids right and wrong just beat the fear into them of getting caught. So thankful my son doesnt act like the kids of garbage parents like you mentioned that would rather hurt children than explain to them what they did wrong. Psychology isnt hard if you excercise a little more intelligence and treat your kids properly you dont have to intimidate them for them to always want to do the right thing.

Oh here comes the liberal. I was hit as a kid when I did things wrong and I turned out fine. I've never got in trouble with the law ever, nor am I abusive. I've learned to respect my parents. Something that families need to understand is that parents are you parents, not your friends. I had friends who literally hit their parents, you know how many times I hit my parents? Never. Guess what? Those friends weren't hit as kids. I even heard them threaten their parents, some people are crazy. Anyway, even when I knew I could overpower my parents, I never did it.

Now tell me, what exactly would you do once your child stops listening to you? Nothing. Once the child knows they can get away with something without any reasonable punishment, you're going to be abused. No one wants to intentionally hit a child, especially if it's their own, but it's for the better, a matter of discipline and retaining dominance. It's been part of humanity as far as we know, seen throughout all cultures. The fact people no longer practice this, is why kids and adults behave in such appalling ways. Also there is a distinct difference between abusing and disciplining a child. Most societies are collapsing because of people like you.

Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them (Proverbs 13:24)

Edited by Trenix
  • Like 3

i have absolutely no doubt, a parent that punishes their kids for wrong deeds will raise a good person, a parent that is overprotective, and nev3r even raises voice on his kid no matter what, will raise an arrogant, and egoistical  person.  pretty  much what we see more and more of now. directly corresponds with liberal teaching policies in few last decades.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

I gotta kind of wonder about some of these tweets. Like the first one is Indiana 1906 and asking for a circular saw, which wasn't really invented til the 1920's. And I'm pretty sure no kid in Ohio in 1892 thought to tell Santa that Mr. Trump should resign. The almost 6 year old talking about her two husbands was just strange.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, rashore said:

I gotta kind of wonder about some of these tweets. Like the first one is Indiana 1906 and asking for a circular saw, which wasn't really invented til the 1920's. And I'm pretty sure no kid in Ohio in 1892 thought to tell Santa that Mr. Trump should resign. The almost 6 year old talking about her two husbands was just strange.

Circular saws were invented in the late 18th century and were in common use in sawmills in the United States by the middle of the 19th century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_saw

4 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Circular saws were invented in the late 18th century and were in common use in sawmills in the United States by the middle of the 19th century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_saw

Yeah, I was thinking of the worm drive saw of the 20's, which would more likely have been portable to ask Santa for. I wasn't thinking about the larger mill saws that preceded the more portable ones. If the kid was asking for a mill sized saw, that's just funny. Savvy kid.

Spanking or not spanking your kid doesn't really have a big effect on how your kid turns out.

As long as you actually love, spend time with your kid, and have some form of rules, boundaries, and consequences you are fine. 

I've worked with orphans and foster kids. The kids normally came from parents on the extemes, either the parent had no rules and no consuqneces with the kid or the parents was super violent and abusive 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Echoes said:

Only an American child would threaten to take Santa's head off...

Yeah that one was weird. That kid probably grew up to work for Al Capone.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Trenix said:

Oh here comes the liberal. I was hit as a kid when I did things wrong and I turned out fine. I've never got in trouble with the law ever, nor am I abusive. I've learned to respect my parents. Something that families need to understand is that parents are you parents, not your friends. I had friends who literally hit their parents, you know how many times I hit my parents? Never. Guess what? Those friends weren't hit as kids. I even heard them threaten their parents, some people are crazy. Anyway, even when I knew I could overpower my parents, I never did it.

Now tell me, what exactly would you do once your child stops listening to you? Nothing. Once the child knows they can get away with something without any reasonable punishment, you're going to be abused. No one wants to intentionally hit a child, especially if it's their own, but it's for the better, a matter of discipline and retaining dominance. It's been part of humanity as far as we know, seen throughout all cultures. The fact people no longer practice this, is why kids and adults behave in such appalling ways. Also there is a distinct difference between abusing and disciplining a child. Most societies are collapsing because of people like you.

Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them (Proverbs 13:24)

This post shows you have zero knowledge of child psychology and the repercussion of hitting children as a form of discipline. 

Try looking at accredited programs such as the triple P program. 

Children are a sponge. Teaching a child to behave in the correct manner and make the correct decisions is not the same as making them fear your hand or yourself as a consequence. 

Example:  they need to learn I wont steal that bike as it's the wrong thing to do as opposed to I wont steal that bike as if Im caught Im scared dad will belt me. 

Children that are hit by their parents or excessively verbally abused have been shown growing to resent their parents and more often than not become exceptionally good at lying and deceiving their parents and others. Why? Because they dont learn to make the correct decisions, they learn to do whatever they want and lie to avoid the consequences.

If you've experienced children hitting their parents its not because they weren't hit. Its because other means of discipline were not enforced and the appropriate guidance in how to behave wasn't established. This is supposing the child in question didnt have other underlying mental issues also. 

Guess what? I was hit as a child to, all the time but I learnt better. Being a parent and parenting correctly takes thinking and hard work. But dont take my word for it.... you will find plenty of information online to support what I have said. Do some research and better your knowledge that there's a better way.

On 12/24/2018 at 12:13 PM, Trenix said:

Couldn't of said it better 

And what fun will people have in 100 years when they read what kids of today ask Santa; such as XboX, a new iPhone, etc...
People living on Mars will laugh at homeless kids, migrant children dying, starving kids in Africa, 75% of prisoners are black, etc.

On 12/25/2018 at 7:54 AM, Gecks said:

Children that are hit by their parents or excessively verbally abused have been shown growing to resent their parents and more often than not become exceptionally good at lying and deceiving their parents and others. Why? Because they dont learn to make the correct decisions, they learn to do whatever they want and lie to avoid the consequences.

Guess what? I was hit as a child to, all the time but I learnt better. Being a parent and parenting correctly takes thinking and hard work. But dont take my word for it.... you will find plenty of information online to support what I have said. Do some research and better your knowledge that there's a better way.

I think different circumstances call for different measures.  

I grew up with 6 brothers and a sister.   The fear of my dads belt was what was needed to keep order.   We weren't whipped often, but if we deserved it, we got it.   It worked for the large family very well.   We all grew up and none of use are abusive towards are parents or families.  

I have 2 daughters.   There really wasn't a need to spank them much growing up.   When they were 2, a little bump on the bottom got the point across.  

On 29/12/2018 at 1:45 AM, Myles said:

I think different circumstances call for different measures.  

I grew up with 6 brothers and a sister.   The fear of my dads belt was what was needed to keep order.   We weren't whipped often, but if we deserved it, we got it.   It worked for the large family very well.   We all grew up and none of use are abusive towards are parents or families.  

I have 2 daughters.   There really wasn't a need to spank them much growing up.   When they were 2, a little bump on the bottom got the point across.  

And this is where we have a problem. We all grew up in different circumstances and yes a large family is hard to control. Believe me, as a young child I was an outlet for my dads anger at mum leaving him. I was spanked all the time and roughly at that and generally for nothing at all. I can still tell you I turned out alright to. Everyone who got spanked and is a reasonable person only has their own conclusions to draw upon. Im guaranteeing spend a day asking inmates in a prison if they were spanked as a child and your probably going to hear yes.... because the majority of parents do. 

I have 3 children and I could spank my 2 year old daughter all day and it would do nothing to fix her behaviour and shes awfully boisterous. You need to positively redirect their attention from whatever activity they're upsetting you with and believe me its hard. 

Why do people want to spank their children anyway? You actually need to take out frustration and inflict pain to get a point across? 

As I sad before, dont just take my word for it. Do some proper research as put in place by child psychologists. I was all for spanking my kids and seemed like the correct way to parent as thats how I was raised. My wife made me do the research and research has proven not hitting children AND correctly disciplining and drawing their attention elsewhere raises better adults. You cant just not spank and think there is positive results to be drawn from it because theres not, this isn't about being a free loving hippy that simply wont punish children. Now Ive read ithe research and employed it I believe in the research and I believed hitting was ok initially and really struggled to change my belief and mindset about spanking.

So I put this out here as anyone who thinks they know better due to their upbringing dont be lazy, half the people on this site are happy to sit their and research the possible existence of aliens or ghosts and whats going on in space or getting dug up in Egypt etc etc. If you have or a starting a family use that time and research the university degree required... child psychology majored... standpoint of raising children. Then help educate yourself, your family and others on a better way.

On 12/24/2018 at 11:13 AM, Trenix said:

Oh here comes the liberal. I was hit as a kid when I did things wrong and I turned out fine.

Hitting is not discipline..it is hitting, plain and simple.

And the "Spare the Rod and Spoil the Child" thing?...you DO realize that the "rod" is a symbol of teachers/teaching and learning which is why sages and such were oft depicted with a staff/rod...

I got hit too and NEVER felt I deserved to be hit and all I learned was to lie more to avoid being hit and to fear other peoples anger because I feared being hit. Thanks

On 12/31/2018 at 6:40 PM, Inky Bendy said:

Hitting is not discipline..it is hitting, plain and simple.

And the "Spare the Rod and Spoil the Child" thing?...you DO realize that the "rod" is a symbol of teachers/teaching and learning which is why sages and such were oft depicted with a staff/rod...

I got hit too and NEVER felt I deserved to be hit and all I learned was to lie more to avoid being hit and to fear other peoples anger because I feared being hit. Thanks

Discipline is the act of training people to behave and obey rules through punishment. Hitting someone is a form of punishment. Also various translations of the text make it clear of what they're truly talking about and it's not some subliminal garbage. Punishment is what keeps people in line. I'm not sure how you became a fearful liar, because I don't personally know you and how you were raised. However I am far from a fearful lair, I can tell you that. Also it's hard to believe you when you just admitted you're a liar, it's no wonder you made a lie about the rod. I'm however not surprised, we live among a entire generation of liars who haven't been properly disciplined. It's a joke going to the doctor's office and having to pick through numerous of genders which aren't even real. I can't believe our society has hitting all time lows.