Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sending astronauts to Mars would be stupid,

Waspie_Dwarf

Sending astronauts to Mars would be stupid, astronaut says

One of the first men to orbit the Moon has told BBC Radio 5 Live that it's "stupid" to plan human missions to Mars.

Bill Anders, lunar module pilot of Apollo 8, the first human spaceflight to leave Earth's orbit, said sending crews to Mars was "almost ridiculous".

Nasa is currently planning new human missions to the Moon.

It wants to learn the skills and develop the technology to enable a future human landing on Mars.

arrow3.gif  Read More: BBC News

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They should send a couple of A.I's first to do a recon of the place. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, spud the mackem said:

They should send a couple of A.I's first to do a recon of the place. 

No. I vote Kanye West to do it. Please.

• Like 3

Given the support, or lack there of, of most space programs I think it is too ambitious and risky. I think we would be far better off using the moon as a test bed for building bases and off world colonies. If we can live on the moon we would likely have a far greater chance of succeeding on Mars.

• Like 4

I volunteer to go to Mars. I'm always doing stupid things and nobody would miss me if things went the way they're bound to go. Hopefully, some secret government employee is scouring the internet searching for candidates and sees this. Take me! Take me!

It would be a tremendous achievement to get somebody there and back though. I just don't know how feasible it is with our current technology and resources. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

With such an attitude,mankind would still be living in Africa. That guy should not have taken up the job as an LM pilot and have stayed safely on earth.

• Like 3

Finally. We found the perfect motto we shall be displaying over the gates of the first permanent settlement on Mars in 2030 in huge 2m tall bold capital letters:

Putting colonies on Mars. That's nonsense. Bill Anders

Edited by Rolci
  • Like 1

When i was a kid in school they used to tell me that our class was just the right age to be candidates  because they would be going when we were 20. Some of our kids are about old enough now...

I think with the presidential cycle of undoing each others work our country is running like it is handicapped with turets syndrome and it will definitely be the work of private corperations.

Edited by Nnicolette
  • Like 1

what year is the manned mission to Mars? (surface)

I agree.. why Mars... Titan or Europa seems to be better chooses.

There is the problem of deep space radiation. Any astronauts that traveled to Mars would be almost certain to get cancer very soon after arriving on Mars. Until the problem of radiation in deep space is solved there is really no safe way to send any living creatures to Mars.

Well he has his opinion. I think manned exploration is far more rewarding than few robots. Sorry.