Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Most men will not cry

Roy Perry

I cry or at least tear up all the time. Usually while alone and usually for nostalgia and joy

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I cry or at least tear up all the time. Usually while alone and usually for nostalgia and joy

I tend to cry when someone or something touches my heart.   Guess I'm getting older and being a softy.  :)   

• Like 4

3 hours ago, OverSword said:

I cry when I mix red wine and whiskey. :wacko:

I cry when I spill it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

The scene in Ben-Hur where Judah goes to see his mother and sister in the valley of the lepers always chokes me up.  :( 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, OverSword said:

I teared up when Baker Mayfield gave the Browns their first win in over a year. Just thinking about that crowd chanting "Baker Mayfield" still gets me all watery eyed.

• Like 3

On 12/26/2018 at 11:05 PM, Roy Perry said:

How about you do you Cry or not?

I'm not really capable of genuinely crying, it's a mental disability, although I'm crying on the inside almost perpetually.

• Like 1

On 27/12/2018 at 2:04 PM, Robotic Jew said:

I cry often. Several times a day actually. Just got out of the bathroom from crying at work....

You should probably seek help because of that.

• Like 2

On 27/12/2018 at 12:05 AM, Roy Perry said:

Most men will not Cry no matter what, why?

12\26\2018

Most men will not Cry no matter what, why? What are afraid? No one going call you a name tell the truth it will make a lesser person it the truth.

If we are Christian and we found out that faith does hold water more or less. If we are Atheist and we found that believe does not hold water more or less.

Once in while everybody doubts their beliefs but most of the time we look deeper and we change our mind. The Atheist and Christian are different we all have weak moments were we begin to doubt what we believe.

How about you do you Cry or not?

thank you

Roy Perry   

We do. I do. With the age it gets easier. Good news, bad news, the tears keep coming. Especialy since nov.2016 but that is another story.

• Like 1

On 27/12/2018 at 4:18 PM, Hammerclaw said:

Men cry all the time. They're just conditioned from childhood to suck it up and not cry publicly. Emotionally insecure men make a lot of women uncomfortable--they're conditioned to expect John Wayne in a man, not Dr. Smith. They want a hero, most of them, so if you want to be successful in romance, you suck it up and play the part, as best you can.

https://youtu.be/bWcASV2sey0

That is a perceptive statement. I would go much further, and say that the expectations of women, from mothers to lovers and wives, goes a long way to shape the persona of every individual man,   for better or for worse.

Eg i was raised romantic by my parents but married a totally unromantic and practical woman who is best pleased, not by romantic gestures, but by me doing practical things for her 

I am still more emotional than her; eg more likely to be moved to tears or laughter by real or fictional drama,  tragedy and love,  but much less so than as young man,  when i was, pretty totally, a romantic idealist .

On 27/12/2018 at 4:49 PM, Farmer77 said:

Yeah I think your impression of our current generation is correct. I have two teenage sons and their life experiences are so vastly different from mine, which resemble what Hammerclaw is describing, that you would think we were from different centuries not just generations.

if they  are teenagers, then you are from different centuries, and even  different millennia :) 

• Haha 2

Just now, Mr Walker said:

if they  are teenagers, then you are from different centuries, and even  different millennia :) 

Damnit I was hoping no one would catch that :lol:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

That is a perceptive statement. I would go much further, and say that the expectations of women, from mothers to lovers and wives, goes a long way to shape the persona of every individual man,   for better or for worse.

Eg i was raised romantic by my parents but married a totally unromantic and practical woman who is best pleased, not by romantic gestures, but by me doing practical things for her 

I am still more emotional than her; eg more likely to be moved to tears or laughter by real or fictional drama,  tragedy and love,  but much less so than as young man,  when i was, pretty totally, a romantic idealist .

Very perceptive, Mr. Walker. We, as men, are the product of countless generations of women in the human lineage forming their male's behavior pattern to further the causes of collective survival and procreation. Considering the present world population, it may have worked too well.

Edited by Hammerclaw

1 minute ago, Hammerclaw said:

Very perceptive, Mr. Walker. We, as men, are the product of countless generations of women in the human lineage forming their male's

behavior pattern to further the causes of collective survival and procreation. Considering the present world population, it may have worked too well.

True, but i would add that while generalisations do work,  up to a point, there are many exceptions, so that some women are totally different from others. 

My wife was known as jack (spratt) when she was a young girl and teenager,  partly because she was skinny and didn't eat much, but also because she was a real tomboy and spent a lot of time playing like a boy, and with boys.

I was raised to love protect and respect women, and some of our harshest punishments were for disrespecting mum or other women.

But while this helped me in my romantic life, because young women loved being spoke to with respect  and interest, it also did not prepare me for the modern age of women.

It took university, and the women's movement of the seventies, to help me see that, if women want equality, then they cannot be treated differently to men.

11 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

True, but i would add that while generalisations do work,  up to a point, there are many exceptions, so that some women are totally different from others. 

My wife was known as jack (spratt) when she was a young girl and teenager,  partly because she was skinny and didn't eat much, but also because she was a real tomboy and spent a lot of time playing like a boy, and with boys.

I was raised to love protect and respect women, and some of our harshest punishments were for disrespecting mum or other women.

But while this helped me in my romantic life, because young women loved being spoke to with respect  and interest, it also did not prepare me for the modern age of women.

It took university, and the women's movement of the seventies, to help me see that, if women want equality, then they cannot be treated differently to men.

It's just a fact of life, Mr. Walker; times may change but it is one constant in human behavior. Most men wake up, one morning, amid the fallen petals of love's first bloom, to find that sweet, compliant little woman we married, suddenly all serious and practical and business-like. We find the yoke of responsibility and duty thrust upon our uneasy shoulders and the reins of marriage in gentle but stern hands. Honeymoon's, over, Bra and life must go on.

Edited by Hammerclaw

17 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

It's just a fact of life, Mr. Walker; times may change but it is one constant in human behavior. Most men wake up, one morning, amid fallen petals of love's first bloom, to find that sweet, compliant little woman we married, suddenly all serious and practical and business-like. We find the yoke of responsibility and duty thrust upon our uneasy shoulders and the reins of marriage in gentle but stern hands. Honeymoons, over, Bra and life must go on.

ROFLMAO 

Sweet, compliant,  little woman ?   What is one of those like ? :) 

I married mine because she was strong, independent, capable of looking after/supporting herself, and yet needing love (IMO) I could see that her qualities complemented my own, and would make a stronger team  than we were as individuals 

Of course, having been hit by the thunderbolt, those considerations were secondary, but we did have a long period of getting to know each other (3-4 years) before we married ,which helped a lot.

There was never any emotional entrapment/blackmail, nor hypocrisy,  maybe because I was 21 and she 29 when we met.    Before we married she made it clear that she would stop work after marriage (to give  a younger woman employment ) and that she would not rush into having children until we saw how the relationship worked out  

On the other hand; a more loyal,  supportive, and hardworking wife, one could never ask for. She meant, and kept, her marriage vows very seriously, as did i. 

it is true, though, that i was of a generation raised to be the bread winner and head of the house, even though that was changing by the time we married (and my mother had been working from the time the youngest of us started school,  in the mid sixties )  At the time we married, ( 1976) my wife could not open a bank account or get a passport without my permission, but that quickly changed, as old laws and ways  gave way to  the modern age  

Edited by Mr Walker

4 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

ROFLMAO 

Sweet, compliant,  little woman ?   What is one of those like ? :) 

I married mine because she was strong, independent, capable of looking after/supporting herself, and yet needing love (IMO) I could see that her qualities complemented my own, and would make a stronger team  than we were as individuals 

Of course, having been hit by the thunderbolt, those considerations were secondary, but we did have a long period of getting to know each other (3-4 years) before we married ,which helped a lot.

There was never any emotional entrapment/blackmail, nor hypocrisy,  maybe because I was 21 and she 29 when we met.    Before we married she made it clear that she would stop work after marriage (to give  a younger woman employment ) and that she would not rush into having children until we saw how the relationship worked out  

On the other hand; a more loyal,  supportive, and hardworking wife, one could never ask for. She meant, and kept, her marriage vows very seriously, as did i. 

it is true, though, that i was of a generation raised to be the bread winner and head of the house, even though that was changing by the time we married (and my mother had been working from the time the youngest of us started school,  in the mid sixties )  At the time we married, ( 1976) my wife could not open a bank account or get a passport without my permission, but that quickly changed, as old laws and ways  gave way to  the modern age  

I said, most men, Mr. Walker, after all, we all know you're exceptional:rolleyes: You conformed to your conditioning and played the part, none-the-less. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

I said, most men, Mr. Walker, after all, we all know you're exceptional:rolleyes: You conformed to your conditioning and played the part, none-the-less. 

True. Going to uni made the difference. It  created  a break between a lot of things which i was taught as a child were social norms and expectations, and what the wider community believed. I didn't always change my values but i came to see that other values existed, and why and how they affected people.

• Like 2

@Mr Walker how many degrees do you have and did you complete them consecutively? 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, danydandan said:

@Mr Walker how many degrees do you have and did you complete them consecutively? 

Only the one  degree in the humanities, but also a post graduate diploma. 4 years in all ( 1970-  73 )

Subjects studied included (officially) politics, philosophy, psychology,  statistics (had to be passed to get your degree) , history, and geography, plus language and literature.

I also had hours of spare time each day. so i also attended lectures on architecture  including modern and historical architecture  plus a few other subjects like physics.  I learned a lot from them but did not attend tutorials and was not credited for them a s the y were not a part of my official course. In those days anyone could walk into a large lecture theatre and listen  to an hours lecture, often with slides etc. You could basically take a full years course if you had the time and inclination,  which i did 

My official courses took up about   6 hours of lecture and 4 hours of tutorials per week, plus  a day or so each week  to research, draft ,and write papers or prepare talks for tutorials .  So  20 hours a week allowed me to do well in my official courses.  I was used to studying  50 hours a week at high school, so i didn't find it hard to take a few extra lectures.  indeed despite taking those extras, university was the easiest time in my life,    and the govt paid me a full scholarship to attend, including living costs  

Then a year including children's language, cognition, and  physical development; and methods of teaching and learning. Again during that  year i went to extra lectures  in a number of subjects including drama and film study  

Of course, the whole time, i was also doing a lot of reading, and making use of the uni's excellent library 

I was offered an Honours degree leading to a doctorate based on my grades, but i couldn't stand  living in the city any longer, and I also wanted to get out and start teaching.  A few of my school mates took the academic route and never left the university . 

This guy went to school with me,  in high school,, and we entered uni together' 

He never left :) 

Michael Rowan is a philosopher with particular interests in science, education, and how people can resolve their disagreements by learning from each other. Here, he writes for the Communicating: the Heart Of Literacy initiative – find more at chattermatters.com.au.

https://chattermatters.com.au/logic-literacy/

I grew up in country South Australia, attending Port Lincoln High School before moving to Adelaide for further study, graduating from Flinders University with a BA (Hons) in philosophy and completing a PhD on Hume’s problem of induction at the University of Adelaide. My main philosophical interests are rationality/reasoning in natural language, the philosophy of science, and more recently education and the environment. Most of my university career was spent in management at the University of South Australia. Since leaving UniSA my wife and our dog and cat lived on our boat for some years, and now share an award winning energy efficient home in southern Tasmania. I enjoy making things (though two years of builders’ labouring will be enough to last forever), gardening, walking and sailing, and trying to minimize our ecological footprint without sacrificing the enjoyment of life. I am an Emeritus Professor of the University of South Australia, and an Adjunct Professor, Division of Deputy Vice Chancellor (Students and Education) University of Tasmania, where I am involved in strengthening community support for education, particularly senior secondary schooling, in all Tasmanian communities. I write on the environment and related topics for a general audience at http://persuademe.com.au.

https://philpeople.org/profiles/michael-rowan

Its interesting 

From that  one class in high school came a couple of national actors  and people who have worked all around the world teaching in places like japan taiwan and California  They have installed the first  computerised water systems on tulip farms in Holland  and become multi millionaires.  One became an indi film producer. 

Others flew planes in Vietnam including one of the last Hercules transports evacuating personnel  as Saigon fell, and dodging anti aircraft missiles on approach and departure ,  smuggled bibles into soviet Russia, became pastors of their own churches,  were robbed of everything on a train india  and just escaped iran the day before the shah fell.  By comparison, my life has been quite ordinary  :) 

It shows both the quality of teaching at that time in that school and the diversity and strength of character of many of the students. 

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Thanks 1

I've heard that women live longer than men because they cry more and let out built up tension.I only cry when my dogs die or read poetry about dogs.I never shed a tear for people,they aren't worth it.

23 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

It's just a fact of life, Mr. Walker; times may change but it is one constant in human behavior. Most men wake up, one morning, amid the fallen petals of love's first bloom, to find that sweet, compliant little woman we married, suddenly all serious and practical and business-like. We find the yoke of responsibility and duty thrust upon our uneasy shoulders and the reins of marriage in gentle but stern hands. Honeymoon's, over, Bra and life must go on.

You and Walker have some interesting ideas about women .LOL

Fast forward to the modern couple. They laugh, cry, support, respect and encourage each other and give each other room to be who they are, to grow, emotions are a natural part of being human and at times people cry. 

I see a lot of relationships across generations and the older men I have had the great honor to know are loving, kind, emotional who after many years of marriage have built deep bonds and enduring friendships with their wives and are expressive emotionally. 

Quite frankly, I find men very easy to talk to and connect to on an emotional level,  all ages. 

We raised three sons who are in-tune emotionally and were raised to just be themselves.

I would not be with a guy who didn't have a respect for his emotional nature. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sherapy said:

You and Walker have some interesting ideas about women .LOL

Fast forward to the modern couple. They laugh, cry, support, respect and encourage each other and give each other room to be who they are, to grow, emotions are a natural part of being human and at times people cry. 

I see a lot of relationships across generations and the older men I have had the great honor to know are loving, kind, emotional who after many years of marriage have built deep bonds and enduring friendships with their wives and are expressive emotionally. 

Quite frankly, I find men very easy to talk to and connect to on an emotional level,  all ages. 

We raised three sons who are in-tune emotionally and were raised to just be themselves.

I would not be with a guy who didn't have a respect for his emotional nature. 

I wasn't talking about the second time around, with all the mistakes made and experience accrued and with mature, realistic expectations. I was speaking of first-timers, callow youths, where dream is confronted, sometime jarringly, with simple reality. It's when the bloom's off the rose that two young people find out whether they are really compatible and whether the life they dreamed of having together was meant to be. Love's a wonderful thing when you find it, but it's high maintenance. It takes the sincere devotion of both parties to establish and keep going and it's damned hard work. If one gives up, it's over, no matter how much the other tries to hold it together. When each understands the essential nature of and the priorities of the other, then and only then does it have the chance to grow and blossom and bear fruit. I fancy I'm preaching to the choir, am I not? 

• Like 1

People (men and women) who burst into tears at the slightest thing are annoying, if you have good reason to cry ie your football team as lost, your car needs a new engine, let it flow.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

People (men and women) who burst into tears at the slightest thing are annoying,

same thing with those who throw temper tantrums over the slightest things.:rolleyes:

• Like 2