Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Frenchman sets off across Atlantic in a barrel

Still Waters

A Frenchman has set off to cross the Atlantic Ocean in a barrel-shaped orange capsule, using ocean currents alone to propel him.

Jean-Jacques Savin, 71, left El Hierro in Spain's Canary Islands and hopes to reach the Caribbean in as little as three months.

His reinforced capsule contains a sleeping bunk, kitchen and storage.

He will drop markers along the way to help oceanographers study Atlantic currents.

Updates on the journey are being posted on a Facebook page and the latest message said the barrel was "behaving well".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46690647

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Frenchman sets off across Atlantic in a barrel

Resin coated plywood?  Nope....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Atlantic in winter is not the place to be rolling around in a barrel , he will be lucky to survive. He obviously has not seen the film "The perfect Storm", I was in the Atlantic at that time on a 47000 ton ship and we were tossed around like a cork ,not a good experience . 

• Like 4

yea it will be a rough ride, but i think he has a good chance to make it.   few inches thick plywood reinforced with fiberglass and resin, will stand up just fine, that is how many ocean going yachts are made. marine grade plywood is very strong,  does not even compare to plywood used in  construction.  that is assuming he wont hit anything,

Edited by aztek

1 minute ago, aztek said:

yea it will be a rough ride, but i think he has a good chance to make it.   few inches thick plywood reinforced with fiberglass and resin, will stand up just fine, that is how many ocean going yachts are made. that is assuming he wont hit anything,

Waves have been known to crush steel structures on ships.  The amount of force they can exert is incredible.  I wish him good luck, he's braver than I am.

• Like 3

Just now, and then said:

Waves have been known to crush steel structures on ships.  The amount of force they can exert is incredible.  I wish him good luck, he's braver than I am.

yes, it is all about the shape, flat cylinder, or a box would be a lot less rigid and strong.  

Good luck buddy!    i guess he's thinking the currents move faster in winter?....otherwise I ,personally, might have considered going in summer?

• Like 2

Let’s hope that in a few weeks he doesn’t need a full scale Recue operation. At the cost of to The Tax payers of the world.

Hey I’m all up for adventure but when things go wrong He should be responsible . it’s his price to pay not ours.

23 hours ago, and then said:

I wouldn't say he is brave ,more like incredibly stupid , and at 71 yrs old his body is not as pliable ,no doubt he will have to be rescued ,unless he disappears .

• Like 1

Excellent. 

One down. Just another 67 million, 119 thousand nine hundred and ninety nine to go ! :D