Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trump blamed for gov shutdown

Unusual Tournament

6 minutes ago, Lord Harry said:

Part of the reason crime is running rampant is because liberals no longer allow the punishment to fit the crime.  Death sentences should be carried out swiftly with a maximum of one appeal. 

A Clear Scientific Consensus that the Death Penalty does NOT Deter

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gromdor said:

It's the Constitution again that is thwarting you not the Democrats.  I honestly think you would have been much happier if you were born in North Korea or China.  They seem to adhere to the ideals you value.

Notice, I deleted my above quote. Not because I don't agree with what I wrote but because I don't want to be suspended. 

3 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

I agree. What the study doesn't tell you is that 20 years of appeals has a lot to do with it. At the rate of executions in this country, more death row inmates are dying of old age then they are from being executed. 

If executions were carried out no later then a week after sentencing, capital punishment would indeed deter violent crime. 

Edited by Lord Harry

48 minutes ago, Lord Harry said:

I agree. What the study doesn't tell you is that 20 years of appeals has a lot to do with it. At the rate of executions in this country, more death row inmates are dying of old age then they are from being executed. 

If executions were carried out no later then a week after sentencing, capital punishment would indeed deter violent crime. 

And I suppose the number of innocent people falsely accused and sentenced to death are just par for the course, huh?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Aquila King said:

And I suppose the number of innocent people falsely accused and sentenced to death are just par for the course, huh?

Not at all. That rarely happens. Only in the liberal imagination.

Just now, Lord Harry said:

Apparently it was in the "imagination" of the founding fathers :

AUTHOR:Benjamin Franklin (1706–90)

QUOTATION:That it is better 100 guilty Persons should escape than that one innocent Person should suffer, is a Maxim that has been long and generally approved.

ATTRIBUTION:BENJAMIN FRANKLIN, letter to Benjamin Vaughan, March 14, 1785.—The Writings of Benjamin Franklin, ed. Albert H. Smyth, vol. 9, p. 293 (1906).

He was echoing Voltaire, “that generous Maxim, that ’tis much more Prudence to acquit two Persons, tho’ actually guilty, than to pass Sentence of Condemnation on one that is virtuous and innocent.—Zadig, chapter 6, p. 53 (1749, reprinted 1974).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lord Harry said:

Actually, according to various independent studies, 1 in 25 people sentenced to death are innocent.

Regardless though, just 1 innocent person being murdered by the state is enough to take the death penalty off the table for me.

I'm not one to argue that there aren't people out there who'd be better off dead. I simply oppose the death penalty for the sake of the innocent people wrongfully murdered which does happen no matter how frequent or infrequent you believe it to be.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Aquila King said:

I'm not one to argue that there aren't people out there who'd be better off dead. I simply oppose the death penalty for the sake of the innocent people wrongfully murdered which does happen no matter how frequent or infrequent you believe it to be.

Thats my take on it as well. Some people definintely deserve the death penalty, or maybe better put society deserves for them to get the death penalty, but its simply not worth making an innocent suffer.

Weirdly it seems to be the folks who rail against the government the most that have the ability to place their faith in government on this issue.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

Thats my take on it as well. Some people definintely deserve the death penalty, or maybe better put society deserves for them to get the death penalty, but its simply not worth making an innocent suffer.

Weirdly it seems to be the folks who rail against the government the most that have the ability to place their faith in government on this issue.

That's a good point. :huh: What happened that eeeeeeevil gubbermint conservatives are always goin on about?...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lord Harry said:

Very revealing how hypocritical the left is. They are willing to build a wall to provide for their own security, and yet deny the same to their fellow countrymen.

This is a capitalist society bub not a welfare state.  If you want your own wall go build it.   Nothing to stop you, I don't think the Democrats would deny your right to build a wall.

13 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Actually, according to various independent studies, 1 in 25 people sentenced to death are innocent.

Regardless though, just 1 innocent person being murdered by the state is enough to take the death penalty off the table for me.

The death penal is needed for heinous crimes such as murder, terrorism, and treason. Even if only to serve as a statement that society will not tolerate such evils. 

Well I suppose if Obama got a wall Trump should have one too.

Perhaps he could prove his credentials by building a wall around trump tower - from the inside.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tatetopa said:

This is a capitalist society bub not a welfare state.  If you want your own wall go build it.   Nothing to stop you, I don't think the Democrats would deny your right to build a wall.

I was pointing out liberal hypocrisy. Perhaps Obama should take a stand for his liberal values by taking his family and moving to inner city Detroit without walls and armed guards. 

I was pointing out liberal hypocrisy.

Well , ya tried :tu:

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Lord Harry said:

The death penal is needed for heinous crimes such as murder, terrorism, and treason. Even if only to serve as a statement that society will not tolerate such evils. 

Lol, I don't think society should tolerate some of your evil policy positions, yet I'd not support the death penalty for it. :lol: Much less merely symbolically murdering people.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lord Harry said:

was pointing out liberal hypocrisy. Perhaps Obama should take a stand for his liberal values by taking his family and moving to inner city Detroit without walls and armed guards. 

I think you have a distorted view of liberals.  We want to uplift people that want a chance to improve themselves.  Lowering your own expectations helps nobody/

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Lol, I don't think society should tolerate some of your evil policy positions, yet I'd not support the death penalty for it. :lol: Much less merely symbolically murdering people.

Read my above post. If the death penalty were carried out swiftly, then it would be a deterrence.

And...1 in 25 is not many, especially considering how rare death sentences are in this country nowadays.

And I can guarantee that out of those 1 out of every 25, most ate gang bangers or other criminal low lives who would commit murder if given the opportunity.

No shed tears from me. Not for gang bangers or criminal aliens. 

Edited by Lord Harry

2 minutes ago, Lord Harry said:

Read my above post. If the death penalty were carried out swiftly, then it would be a deterrence.

No I got what you said, I just find it deplorable. Its like that other guy said, i think your ideology would be best served under dictatorial regime like North Korea.

3 minutes ago, Lord Harry said:

And...1 in 25 is not many, especially considering how rare death sentences are in this country nowadays.

And... Just 1 innocent death is too much for for my taste. If a policy kills innocent people to any capacity, you can count me out.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

Well I suppose if Obama got a wall Trump should have one too.

Trump DEFINITELY should get a wall, many of them in fact :D

prison-yard-with-23-foot.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

And I can guarantee that out of those 1 out of every 25, most ate gang bangers or other criminal low lives who would commit murder if given the opportunity.

No shed tears from me. Not for gang bangers or ghetto people. 

A libertarian friend of mine had a similar argument.  Basically that anyone who was in a position to land themselves and death row were low value humans and would not be missed if they were innocent or not.  But then again, he was a pretty hardcore social Darwinist.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

A libertarian friend of mine had a similar argument.  Basically that anyone who was in a position to land themselves and death row were low value humans and would not be missed if they were innocent or not.  But then again, he was a pretty hardcore social Darwinist.

Your friend sounds like a wise man. I would listen to him if I were you. 

6 minutes ago, Lord Harry said:

No shed tears from me. Not for gang bangers or ghetto people

I suppose simple being from 'the ghetto' is valid justification for execution...

The most ironic thing about all this is how somehow I'm the evil one... :huh:

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Lord Harry said:

Your friend sounds like a wise man. I would listen to him if I were you. 

I seriously wouldn't be surprised if you turned out to be the next mass shooter at this rate... :mellow:

• Like 2