Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New Year's resolutions

and-then

4 hours ago, and then said:

It's that time of year again.  My commitments are modest this year.  I plan to stop drinking Diet Coke by May.  This is a big deal because I've consumed way too much of that substance for many years.  I'm joining a gym to build up my upper and lower extremities.  Easy does it, no need to pressure myself to fail.  Slow and steady will win the race.  I've walked enough to get my weight under control but I still need to get into some resistance training.  I hear 60 knocking at my door and I am determined to face it with a stronger body and a better attitude.

I also have decided to cast the political turmoil to the curb.  It's just wasted energy at this point.  What will be, will be and I can only change ME and no one else.

And then again, you can always tell 60 they can't come in. Modest commitments usually yield only modest results. Stopping a diet of coke is more difficult than stopping a runaway train heading to hell. And don't forget to exercise the middle extremities too, the bulges. One should never pressure failure, as it will inflate. Slow and steady will only win a race against an arrogant speedy hare, who lounges during the race, underestimating the slow and steady. Walking is never enough, one must run to catch up to and get control of runway weight. And I doubt you need resistance training, as I note that you get plenty of resistance here on the forum, but not anywhere near what I get. 

Good decision on politics, I too am trowing political correctness to the curb, and concentrating on musical correctness. But I'm afraid the moderators will curb me, if my music is too loud or too long. Energy, they tell you, cannot be wasted, but only transformed. What will be, will not be, if we can change what is to be. Good old fashioned politics are a thing of the past, and may never come back again. As with the New Year slogan, Out with the old and in with the new.

New Year resolutions are just excuses we usually make for ourselves. Because we should not wait for the new year to come around to make the changes one needs anytime during the old year. Guilty admission on my part.

My new year resolutions at this time, is to spread the joy of music, mostly old, and using music, including the lyrics and titles, to make a point in a musical way, and matching it to ritual atmosphere, situations, topics, and words we post. This way, if people don't like my points and rebuttals, they may still listen to the music. They can ignore me, my views, point, and attitude, but, as they say, one must face the music. I hope you take this post as a jest of friendship, and the use of my corny way of playing the role of the devil's advocate, only hoping to get a laugh out of you, although my humor is rather corny too.

I had a small reckoning with myself, when 60 came knocked at my door too, a few years ago. I reckoned like you, that I had to wake up to reality and start to care about my health, which was failing with the heart, kidneys, and pancreas, especially due to my eating and drinking. I had thought like a brave youth, even in the middle years, thinking myself indestructible, and full of energy, and therefore neglected my aches and pains for a long time, thinking it was only the usual heartburn, stomach indigestion, and extra flatus from too much pizza and too much beer. Not that I was badly obese, or not getting some good walking exercise, but I had gotten pleasantly plump, and not needing any padding around the middle for my Santa's suit.

For you, at 60 approaching, I figured you are not too young to not have had the chance to appreciate a Little Richard.

It's Happy New Year coming for you, Now and Then. More now than then, I assure you. As it does not get any happier, physically speaking, as time comes around knocking, especial when it's 70 that is knocking at my door. 

Wine and whiskey may get better with time, and their bodies are more flavorful, but the human body only gets sour with age, sorry to say. Although the mind, with the right attitude, does get mellower.

Wishing another dog lover a very Happy New Year, and good luck with your resolutions, I hope you achieve success.

P.S. Try carbonated mineral water to help curb your addiction with the diet coke, as it's also good for the diet, as it's zero calories, but bubbly all the same. It worked for me a few decades ago. I was turned on to it while I worked in Europe. But I was an RC man, Royal Crown cola.

I don't do resolutions. It's a mummy thing, so I gues I'll joinj imaginarynumber 1. What are we drinking?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

I don't do resolutions. It's a mummy thing, so I gues I'll joinj imaginarynumber 1. What are we drinking?

Jack Daniels for me! :rofl:

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

Anything that gets us drunk

• Like 1

Subtle changes for myself. Little modifications to my normal daily routine that should add up by the end of this year.

• Like 2

On 12/31/2018 at 12:01 AM, and then said:

It's that time of year again.  My commitments are modest this year.  I plan to stop drinking Diet Coke by May.  This is a big deal because I've consumed way too much of that substance for many years.  I'm joining a gym to build up my upper and lower extremities.  Easy does it, no need to pressure myself to fail.  Slow and steady will win the race.  I've walked enough to get my weight under control but I still need to get into some resistance training.  I hear 60 knocking at my door and I am determined to face it with a stronger body and a better attitude.

I also have decided to cast the political turmoil to the curb.  It's just wasted energy at this point.  What will be, will be and I can only change ME and no one else.

Good for you!  There's multiple ways to cement a habit; I've found one that works and am going to be using it this year.  I've decided to get out of the rocking chair and into the rocket.  There's things to explore, things to draw, things to write, and more!

• Like 3

I am 70 and I don’t do enough exercise so hope to improve on that.  As mortality beckons I also want to get all my family history research into a state I would be happy for it to be found once I am gone (not for years and years I hope).  Finishing the cross stitch project I started two days ago would be good too.  But mainly I am resolute that will still be here to see in 2020.  After that, I will reconsider all my options. :D

ETA - and I start this year by going to a cousin's funeral today (she WAS 97).

Edited by Susanc241
  • Like 2

I'm going to do more to actively maintain and improve my German language skills. My proficiency has been slipping since my grandparents died a few years ago, since my mother is British (and therefore only speaks English) and my father has refused to speak any German for decades. I'm losing it, and I need to not lose it.

Edited by Podo
  • Like 2

Step out of the sudden depression and lethargy that's overcome me recently for no discernable reason. I hold my brain accountable for this, poor thing that it is. I have some sympathy for it, though, it's not had an easy time so far.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I am going to make a determined effort to be off all medication by the end of the year. I take medication for hypothyroidism and type 2 diabetes, plus I use an inhaler(just a couple of times a week) for shortness of breath. I'm hoping to achieve my goal by having a completely sugar-free, as-much-raw-food-as-possible diet. :D I have been a vegetarian for 50yrs, although I have been virtually vegan for the past 5yrs or so. I only drink spring water(sometimes as tea or coffee substitute), and try to have as much organic food as possible. My new diet will be low carb but not low fat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ouija ouija said:

I am going to make a determined effort to be off all medication by the end of the year. I take medication for hypothyroidism and type 2 diabetes, plus I use an inhaler(just a couple of times a week) for shortness of breath. I'm hoping to achieve my goal by having a completely sugar-free, as-much-raw-food-as-possible diet. :D I have been a vegetarian for 50yrs, although I have been virtually vegan for the past 5yrs or so. I only drink spring water(sometimes as tea or coffee substitute), and try to have as much organic food as possible. My new diet will be low carb but not low fat.

I hope that you are successful if your "will power" is strong enough ...best wishes 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, spud the mackem said:

I hope that you are successful if your "will power" is strong enough ...best wishes 

Thank you. By some miracle I seem to have cracked the sugar-free aspect without even trying. It's really weird, one minute I was fighting a craving for sugar(as I have done all my life), and the next minute I had lost all interest in sugar. This happened about 6mths ago. I went through Christmas sugar-free, with people around me eating sweet things and I didn't even notice.

• Like 3

Mine was/is.. Learn to like Beer.. because its cheaper then bourbon..  Try not to get fatter.. hell its easier to do that then loose weight.. if I loose weight then its a bonus :D ..  Spend more time with my niece (she has inoperable malignant brain tumour) so a better work/home roster..  and learn how to speak Japanese.. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

My New Year's resolutions are about trying new things, you know, things I've never tried before, such as skydiving, parasailing, and maybe snowboarding.

The idea is to broaden my horizons.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/4/2019 at 4:10 PM, ouija ouija said:

So .... I had my first blood tests of the year and my glucose level has plummeted to within a whisker of being normal. This has given me a real boost to continue with my efforts. :D

• Like 3

On 1/5/2019 at 7:30 AM, DingoLingo said:

Mine was/is.. Learn to like Beer.. because its cheaper then bourbon..  Try not to get fatter.. hell its easier to do that then loose weight.. if I loose weight then its a bonus :D ..  Spend more time with my niece (she has inoperable malignant brain tumour) so a better work/home roster..  and learn how to speak Japanese.. 

so far.. I am failing on learning to like beer.. and after the christmas new years break.. failing the second.. winning on the  third.. and have not started the 4th :P

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, DingoLingo said:

and have not started the 4th

My resolution this year was to learn Spanish. Ive been using duolingo.com (its free) and ill be damned if some of it isnt sticking. I couldnt converse in it just yet but I could stumble my way around reading some basic literature.

• Like 2

I grew up with an escentric grandmother who made a big deal of setting NYRs that she never lived up to,

I never cared for the concept, after the new years eve party its a mean, nasty marker of time, another year and i didnt do this or that, and im a year older it tugs at my OCD, my nervious health issues are an honest hurdle, but that still doesnt float well with me, so why drive myself more neurotic trying to meet some self inflicted goal?

I will do my best to do what i can at the pace i can do it.

I guess different things work for different peoole

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I no longer need the inhaler and my doctor has said there's no need for me to take any medication for the Type 2 diabetes. I've started calorie-counting again and lost 4lbs last week.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Years ago I resolved to never make another new years resolution.  It has worked well for me.