Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How fast does glass crack ?

UM-Bot

Sorry is it their "cool" camera they are showing,  as i can not see the point in cracking glass. What is the point in that? 

20 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Sorry is it their "cool" camera they are showing,  as i can not see the point in cracking glass. What is the point in that? 

Yeah...it is exactly their 'cool' camera.  So, they wondered...how fast does glass break.  With the timer on their camera they found that a sheet of glass breaks at 1458 meters per second...3262 Miles per hour ... Mach 4.2.  

And it's kind of cool to watch things in super slow motion...they do all kinds of crazy things like that...it is why they are the Slo-Mo Guys.B)

Possibly a guy thing because...all guys are little boys...and all little boys like to break stuff for fun.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, joc said:

Yeah...it is exactly their 'cool' camera.  So, they wondered...how fast does glass break.  With the timer on their camera they found that a sheet of glass breaks at 1458 meters per second...3262 Miles per hour ... Mach 4.2.  

And it's kind of cool to watch things in super slow motion...they do all kinds of crazy things like that...it is why they are the Slo-Mo Guys.B)

Possibly a guy thing because...all guys are little boys...and all little boys like to break stuff for fun.

I believe you are right, its a boys thing. My husband does things like this and i can never see what it achieves, apart from the boys and their toys thing. :D

I did try to get him to do the washing up by explaining how much "fun" it can be, he broke 2 dishes, i think he did it deliberately, he is no longer allowed to do the washing up. It back fired on me. :mellow:

• Haha 2

On 1/1/2019 at 6:32 AM, joc said:

People yes, stuff no. :whistle:

• Haha 1

Really interesting experiment. As stated in the video, nothing in nature travels at Mach 4.2! 

It would be equally interesting to investigate the speed and pattern of crack propogation in other materials: e.g. ice, ceramic.

Also, how about the speed of electricity along a conducting wire?

• 1 year later...

I just posted this theory of mine on youtube-

Hey Guys, just a thought but does anybody know if the universe (or "reality") has a "frame rate"?..

It's just a theory of mine, but what if the universe "re-writes itself" every trillisecond  leaving a little blank gap of "non-existence" between each re-write?..

I think a super-duper high-speed camera (faster than anything we've currently got) would be needed to film it,and according to my theory the film when replayed would have a blank frame every trillisecond..Perhaps there's a Nobel prize waiting for anybody who goes where no man has gone before into the realm of super-high-speed filming?