Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Plane wreck could solve 50-year-old mystery

UM-Bot

Gents,

C-130s must be older than I thought they were - WWII? There's still a few from the 60's operating, even within the USAF, but as the type first flew in the 50's I think WWII is stretching it a little. This accident has been doing the rounds in the aviation community for years, long before the recent upsurge in interest and there's long been vague rumours of it being shot down. As usual nothing concrete but a few ex-military guys have said that there was a alert on (which you would expect anyway) and fighters were sent after it. When ever they got to it or even of they did what action they did or didn't take isn't known so it's still a interesting tale. The other part of the story of interest to this forum is that the stand that the C-130 departed from at Mildenhall is alleged to be haunted by his ghost. I make no claims either way!

Gary

Edited by gary1701
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, gary1701 said:

C-130s must be older than I thought they were - WWII?

So I admit im off duty and slightly medicated so I may have missed it but where did you get anything about WWII from?

1 hour ago, Farmer77 said:

So I admit im off duty and slightly medicated so I may have missed it but where did you get anything about WWII from?

Link at the top, first line in the text.

Gary

• Thanks 1

yeah the title claims it but WW2 ended a decade or so earlier.

edit to add: earlier than the C130 entered service,

Edited by Not A Rockstar

17 hours ago, gary1701 said:

Link at the top, first line in the text.

Gary

:lol: I skipped right past that part thanks

No military expert on planes but am not sure if they were around during WW2.So how could this have happend during WW2, when the article says irt took place in 1969.And what sort of a mechanic was he? My late father during WW2 was a flight crew cheif and an airplane mechanic before he was recruited for intelligence work when in Italy. If this guy worked on planes, i would think he wou;ld have some idea of how to fly them.

Hi again,

Sorry all, I was being a little bit playful in my first post on the subject. Of course C-130's were not around in World War 2, despite what that article suggests. Sgt Meyer 'stole' C-130E 63-7789 from a hardstand at Mildenhall on that night. That serial indicates that the aircraft was part of the 1963 fiscal order for aircraft for the USAF, and would have probably entered service in late 1963 or more likely 1964. To this day aircraft on the strength of the USAF and US Army (but not the Marines or Navy) incorporate the last two of the fiscal year the aircraft was ordered but not necessarily built into the serial number assigned to the aircraft. That will be visible on the aircraft in various styles depending on the date and how the operating command shows serial numbers. For example serials of combat types assigned to USAFE/PACAF or ACC are carried different to large transport or support aircraft assigned to AMC. The first C-130 prototype was serial 53-3397, and the type is still produced today in a far more modern variant.

This non random (reason why this one is below) pic from my vast collection shows a USAF KC-135T landing at Mildenhall a few years ago. The tail shows '80050' which indicates that was the 50th aircraft (that's total aircraft, not the specific type) in the 1958 fiscal year ordered for the USAF. The aircrafts serial is 58-0050 (yes they're that old and still going strong!)

12310208526_1010c1431b_o.jpg

Incidentally, KC-135T 58-0050 is the infamous 'haunted' aircraft that is referred to as 'Spook 50' by USAF personnel. Apparently there have been two separate and unconnected deaths on this aircraft in it's long history, and there are quite a few accounts of inexplicable events occurring around this aircraft. It even carries a 'Spook 50' logo in the cockpit.  

Hope that helps,

Gary