Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Was the Rendlesham UFO incident a prank ?

UM-Bot

14 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

LOL!  Do tell, Dejarma, why is it a ridiculous analogy?

work it out for yaself mate> or maybe someone will do me the honour of explaining it for me - though i doubt anyone will bother.. as i'm not.

anyways, have fun

15 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

LOL!  Do tell, Dejarma, why is it a ridiculous analogy?

Saying somebody wrote a book for $$$  does not mean a damm thing. Don't try to create lies out of thin air and ambiance. Show me!  

By the way, Dejarma, Cosmologist, Carl Sagan, wrote "Cosmos".   Care to apply your theory here?      <can't wait>

Unlike the Rendlesham story, the contents of the books and articles by Sagan and other scientists are expected to be tested. Most of the ideas in scientists' writings do stand the test of time. The same cannot be said of the Rendlesham incident.

So why do people write fictional accounts and embellish the tales with all sorts of BS? They do it for money. They know that there are gullible people out there that take these stories without a thought. The people will defend those stories, too. They'll defend the stories even when they are shown to be BS.

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, stereologist said:

,SNIP>...    They'll defend the stories even when they are shown to be BS.

Yes, I've noticed that about you.

1 hour ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Yes, I've noticed that about you.

It is in fact you that defends nonsense based on wishful thinking and disproved ideas. I noticed how you had to take something out of context and misrepresent my post. That is so you.

We notice that when I challenged your interpretation of the wrote the book for money stance you never bothered to challenge my challenge.

I certainly am not defending Rendlesham forest which seems to be an evolving story as people change or add to the story over time. It seems to be a story that is getting farther and farther away from the truth over time.

maybe it never happened to begin with

19 minutes ago, stereologist said:

It is in fact you that defends nonsense based on wishful thinking and disproved ideas. I noticed how you had to take something out of context and misrepresent my post. That is so you.

We notice that when I challenged your interpretation of the wrote the book for money stance you never bothered to challenge my challenge.

I certainly am not defending Rendlesham forest which seems to be an evolving story as people change or add to the story over time. It seems to be a story that is getting farther and farther away from the truth over time.

If you  wish to spam a thread to death, try sticking to the one that you already did.

40 minutes ago, skrubby said:

maybe it never happened to begin with

You could be right...  Though <something?> sparked this all off to begin with.

Let's just say that an unknown craft really was involved & the story is real:

why did Colonel Halt feel a need to tell the world about it? In his position (retired or not) he would know & understand why he can't say anything.

If it's all true then surely this is showing a lack of respect for something him & his like are dedicated to, again: "retired or not" Why would he do that?

Plus he would have signed the official secrets act.... It just does not add up to me

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

If you  wish to spam a thread to death, try sticking to the one that you already did.

This is an off topic thread. It is the definition of spam.

Get back on topic and stop being a whiner.

One of the important steps in any case such as this is to ask whether or not the events actually happened. Certainly some of the later embellishments are probably made up such as the binary code. Details and sometimes major parts of stories are added, embellished, dropped, altered, etc. The story has a life of its own and the original story ceases to exist. There are plenty of reasons to wonder if this story is mostly fiction.

31 minutes ago, stereologist said:

There are plenty of reasons to wonder if this story is mostly fiction.

Yep I agree.... But the really big discrepancy IMO .. You know= the one that no believer can rebut logically is:

as part of the story goes= an unknown craft/s are seen firing beams of light down into atomic weapon silos .. If this REALLY happened, the place would have been swarming within half-hour/ an hour? Or maybe less.

But nothing of the like.. Is there anyone who would disagree with this? If so why? 

Though I've no idea if the warheads would be live (I take they would not be) but never the less, very concerning.. Therefore to me <IN MY OPINION> it's case rested & the only thing I've ever been interested in is what started it all off & why?

Edited by Dejarma
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dejarma said:

yup, *something* kicked it off. It could be a sinister something but surely there is something behind it that they were on a similar wave length together.

why did Colonel Halt feel a need to tell the world about it? In his position (retired or not) he would know & understand why he can't say anything.

good point. 

If it's all true then surely this is showing a lack of respect for something him & his like are dedicated to, again: "retired or not" Why would he do that?

Plus he would have signed the official secrets act.... It just does not add up to me

I never really got into the Rendlesham incident. I'd like to see someone address that issue. "if true" nobody would have known, had they all not decided to blab it all.  Something persuaded them onto it.

13 hours ago, Dejarma said:

11 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

yup, *something* kicked it off. It could be a sinister something but surely there is something behind it that they were on a similar wave length together.

good point. 

I never really got into the Rendlesham incident. I'd like to see someone address that issue. "if true" nobody would have known, had they all not decided to blab it all.  Something persuaded them onto it.

If I may gents, prior to answering the why I think it prudent to establish the premise on which the question is put forth.

Please explain how 'he told the world about it'...ie what were the chain of events following the incident with regards to exposing it.

Earl, there was an FOIA request (cant quite remember the date) where the memo Halt had written to the MOD on the incident was requested and released. So the incident being known in the public domain didn't rely on them 'blabbing'.

@quillius   Earl, there was an FOIA request (cant quite remember the date) where the memo Halt had written to the MOD on the incident was requested and released. So the incident being known in the public domain didn't rely on them 'blabbing'.

I see, thanks for that, Quillius

The earliest information I find is that it was seen on TV in the show Unsolved Mysteries.

An FOIA request has to state what is being requested. A vague request about UFO information is not going to produce anything. It must be the case that the incident was known at the time of the FOIA.

45 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

@quillius   Earl, there was an FOIA request (cant quite remember the date) where the memo Halt had written to the MOD on the incident was requested and released. So the incident being known in the public domain didn't rely on them 'blabbing'.

I see, thanks for that, Quillius

cheers

''This is the text of the single-page memo written by Lt. Col. Halt to the UK’s Ministry of Defence. It was on official US Air Force headed notepaper but was not classified in any way. The memo was released under the US Freedom of Information Act in June 1983 by the US Air Force to Robert Todd of the pressure group Citizens Against UFO Secrecy (CAUS). Note that the USAF had thrown out their own copy, evidently regarding it as of no further interest, and this copy actually came from the British MoD''

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, quillius said:

cheers

''This is the text of the single-page memo written by Lt. Col. Halt to the UK’s Ministry of Defence. It was on official US Air Force headed notepaper but was not classified in any way. The memo was released under the US Freedom of Information Act in June 1983 by the US Air Force to Robert Todd of the pressure group Citizens Against UFO Secrecy (CAUS). Note that the USAF had thrown out their own copy, evidently regarding it as of no further interest, and this copy actually came from the British MoD''

Looking around I found interviews and newspaper articles form October of that year.

Any idea how Robert Todd knew to write an FOIA request?

I found an earlier date now. People did blab.

https://drdavidclarke.co.uk/secret-files/secret-files-4/

Until now Col Conrad’s only public comment was a brief interview given to journalist Eric Mishara, published by Omni magazine (Vol 5/6) in March 1983. At that time one of the more sensational rumours circulating on the base and on the UFO grapevine claimed that Conrad himself had spoken to aliens during the alleged UFO landing in the forest.

In the Omni article Conrad denied he saw aliens but confirmed that he did conduct a brief investigation of the incident and visited the scene of the “landing” reported by Security Policeman Jim Penniston, whom he interviewed.

It was blabbed before the FOIA request was placed. An FOIA request would need to be a specific request and the Omni article or possibly something before that article could be the source of information alerting Robert Todd.

2 minutes ago, stereologist said:

I found an earlier date now. People did blab.

It was blabbed before the FOIA request was placed. An FOIA request would need to be a specific request and the Omni article or possibly something before that article could be the source of information alerting Robert Todd.

could be, it could also have leaked from a hundred and one places including the police that visited etc

Col Conrads interview for example, who instigated this? ie did the journalist approach him?

either way I think the 'knowledge' that something happened could not have been contained and certainly was not down to halt 'blabbing' or if it was then it still would not have been contained...which one way or another would lead to FOI request

8 minutes ago, quillius said:

could be, it could also have leaked from a hundred and one places including the police that visited etc

Col Conrads interview for example, who instigated this? ie did the journalist approach him?

either way I think the 'knowledge' that something happened could not have been contained and certainly was not down to halt 'blabbing' or if it was then it still would not have been contained...which one way or another would lead to FOI request

Before the FOIA request there was an article in Omni that interviewed people. That's blabbing, right?

Nevertheless, within months of the incident in January 1981, rumours about a UFO landing at the base leaked out to civilian UFOlogists, along with a story that an unidentified object had been tracked by RAF radars. During 1982 when the protest against American Cruise missiles at RAF Greenham Common was underway, the MoD began to receive letters asking if the UFO story had been spread to conceal a military accident involving a missile or aircraft.

People were definitely talking and the word was out before the FOIA request. 

http://ufoinquiry.blogspot.com/2018/11/rendlesham-articles-case-study-in.html

The first mainstream magazine article?? The March 1983 issue of Omni magazine included an article (below) on Rendlesham, featuring comments attributed to Colonel Ted Conrad, Donald Moreland, Dot Street and Jenny Randles.

The first negative article on Rendlesham?? Ian Mrzyglod kindly gave permission for me to upload all of The Probe Report a while ago (at the link below), which includes the 5 page article on Rendlesham in the April 1983 issue (Volume 3, No 4).

The FOIA request seems rather late in the game with people already investigating the incident in 1982.

4 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Before the FOIA request there was an article in Omni that interviewed people. That's blabbing, right?

People were definitely talking and the word was out before the FOIA request. 

http://ufoinquiry.blogspot.com/2018/11/rendlesham-articles-case-study-in.html

The FOIA request seems rather late in the game with people already investigating the incident in 1982.

yes I think we are basically saying the same thing here....I agree....my point was that its not Halt blabbing or his memo as this would have been gained through an FOI request...even if at a later date due to the fact the story was out there...

Edited by quillius
edit to add: ie its not him blabbing and not understanding security protocal etc as suggested earlier...his memo was retrieved

I'll start with saying that I'm not thoroughly informed of all the claims and stories regarding this event. That being said, as my military career has progressed one thing about the story really bugs me. Why is a Lieutenant Colonel  who also is the Deputy Base Commander going out on a routine security patrol? In any other case remotely like this it would normally have a Lieutenant or Captain assigned as the duty officer to accompany the patrol. Someone of COL Halt's rank and position at the time would certainly not just go marching off into the woods with the boys to look for lights or a reported unknown craft.

Edited by Trelane
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Trelane said:

I'll start with saying that I'm not thoroughly informed of all the claims and stories regarding this event. That being said, as my military career has progressed one thing about the story really bugs me. Why is a Lieutenant Colonel  who also is the Deputy Base Commander going out on a routine security patrol? In any other case remotely like this it would normally have a Lieutenant or Captain assigned as the duty officer to accompany the patrol. Someone of COL Halt's rank and position at the time would certainly not just go marching off into the woods with the boys to look for lights or a reported unknown craft.

What I don't get is why they went into the forest at all.

They saw some lights.  So?   Maybe someone was camping in the forest?  Holding a rave?   Maybe a local farmer was working in a field?   It's none of their business.  Call the local police if you think something needs investigating!   It's outside the perimeter of the base and outside USAF jurisdiction.  Why did they think it might be a downed aircraft?    Did the Americans not have radar?!!   Did the Tower not know what aircraft were flying in to the base?     Wouldn't someone, just possibly, have noticed if an A-10 from Bentwaters had crashed in the forest?   The whole story sounds like a hoax right from the very start.   But I wouldn't dismiss the idea of someone playing a prank just to see how the Americans would react.

As an aside, radar was developed just down the road from RAF Woodbridge at Bawdsey Manor :) 

2 hours ago, Essan said:

What I don't get is why they went into the forest at all.

They saw some lights.  So?   Maybe someone was camping in the forest?  Holding a rave?   Maybe a local farmer was working in a field?   It's none of their business.  Call the local police if you think something needs investigating!   It's outside the perimeter of the base and outside USAF jurisdiction.  Why did they think it might be a downed aircraft?    Did the Americans not have radar?!!   Did the Tower not know what aircraft were flying in to the base?     Wouldn't someone, just possibly, have noticed if an A-10 from Bentwaters had crashed in the forest?   The whole story sounds like a hoax right from the very start.   But I wouldn't dismiss the idea of someone playing a prank just to see how the Americans would react.

As an aside, radar was developed just down the road from RAF Woodbridge at Bawdsey Manor :) 

I'd have to double check as I haven't looked at this case in a number of years, but from memory Halt went out on the second night, after being told it's back...he didn't just go for a wander as soon as the first sighting was reported.

Edit to add - sorry I didn't mean to quote you, I was talking to Trelane.

Edited by The Sky Scanner

7 hours ago, Essan said:

I would have to see what the actual military reservation boundaries were at the time to see why they patrolled there. There could very well have been a parcel not inside the wire but still as a physical boundary surrounding the installation as many posts stateside have.

5 hours ago, The Sky Scanner said:

I'd have to double check as I haven't looked at this case in a number of years, but from memory Halt went out on the second night, after being told it's back...he didn't just go for a wander as soon as the first sighting was reported.

Edit to add - sorry I didn't mean to quote you, I was talking to Trelane.

I understand that he was told "it's back". My question is with why a man of his rank and position would be going out on a security patrol. A lieutenant or captain would normally be the duty officer assigned for such a task, maybe even a major if there was one available. I find it very strange that a deputy base commander would be going out. Sorry if I made it sound flippant. This was 1980, the Cold War in its Nuclear Race phase with the US Army expanding. A deputy base commander would not be placing himself at risk due to his position to investigate an unknown event. There was too much at stake and protocols to be followed. I don't read anywhere that he was ordered out. So, why did he go? Why would he violate security reporting protocols by drafting a memo and making recordings? He did this without bouncing it off the intelligence section of the base or at a minimum his superior officer?. Very irregular for a field grade officer in his position at the time.

Edited by Trelane
  • Like 2