Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Qatar intoduces new "Sin Tax" on booze

Eldorado

World Cup 2022 host Qatar is to introduce a 100 percent tax on alcohol from January 1, a government official confirmed on Monday.

The "sin" tax is being introduced just weeks after the conservative Muslim Gulf state announced in its annual budget statement that it would introduce a levy on "health-damaging goods".

The policy was revealed by the Qatar Distribution Company, the country's only alcohol store, in a 30-page list of new prices for beer, wines and spirits, citing the introduction of a 100 per cent "excise tax".

The list was widely shared on social media and showed drinks doubling in price overnight, as it detailed charges which come into effect from January 1.

Full report: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/world-cup-host-qatar-to-introduce-100-percent-booze-tax/ar-BBRFucU?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Happy New Year!

• Like 2

Their tourist trade will suffer , who wants to go for a holiday with nothing but grotty coffee when they get there, I don't know what coffee they use but its worse than s***t, like black treacle.

• Haha 3

Hey, some small towns in US states have a ban on alcohol. stuff happens. If the Qatar citizens want it bad enough, they can make it in their cellar like yanks did during prohibition.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Hey, some small towns in US states have a ban on alcohol. stuff happens. If the Qatar citizens want it bad enough, they can make it in their cellar like yanks did during prohibition.

Then the speakeazy's will crop up and the modesty police will have to deal with the Flappers.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Then the speakeazy's will crop up and the modesty police will have to deal with the Flappers.

Yeah, baby!   The naked flapper gal in the "bathtub of gin", dishing out cups of the brew to wild celebrants.  YES!!     YES!!!!       Bring it on  :D

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Haha 2

I don't drink. Never have. Tried alcohol a few times, but I'm not a fan of mind-altering substances. While I don't agree with what they're doing, I don't really see anything wrong with it, either. It's their country, they can totally eliminate their tourist industry if they want.

• Haha 1

Umm.. lets bear in mind that Qatar isn't BANNING alcohol, just making it twice as expensive :)