Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

UK kids eat 13 cubes of sugar per day

47 posts in this topic

Eldorado

The recommended daily maximum of sugar for children aged four to six is five cubes or 19g. For children aged seven to 10 this rises to six cubes (24g) and up to seven cubes (30g) for those aged 11 and over.

However, UK children are consuming around 13 cubes or 52g of sugar a day, says PHE, based on results from the National Diet and Nutrition Survey.

Full report at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46720303

Children are consuming 300lb of sugar by the age of ten, shocking figures reveal today.

At the Daily Mail: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6545667/Children-consuming-22-stones-sugar-age-TEN-Britain-remain-obese.html

Gov Action: Sugar reduction and wider reformulation.  https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/sugar-reduction

• Sad 1

and then

That stuff is poison.  It kills.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Captain Risky

man what a coincidence.. we just started buying sugar cubes. a lot easier to use and less messy than plain sugar.  

• Like 1

RabidMongoose
2 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

man what a coincidence.. we just started buying sugar cubes. a lot easier to use and less messy than plain sugar.  

Yeah, God knows where the kids are getting them from??

I haven't seen a shop sell them in over 20 years lol.

• Haha 2

Captain Risky
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Yeah, God knows where the kids are getting them from??

I haven't seen a shop sell them in over 20 years lol.

i think they're using the sugar cubes as a unit of measurement more that a reference to a teaspoon of sugar. oddly enough i must say that the sugar cubes we buy are smaller than a measure of sugar in a teaspoon. so it would be interesting to get some measures before the health police start jumping up and down. 

Edited by Captain Risky

XenoFish
1 minute ago, RabidMongoose said:

And boy is it tasty.

Why is the state playing nanny? Its over-stepping its rights.

Maybe you should up your 12 pack habit to a 24 pack this year.

• Like 1

RabidMongoose
1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Maybe you should up your 12 pack habit to a 24 pack this year.

Maybe I will exercise my freedom and do just that lol

• Haha 1

Eldorado
50 minutes ago, and then said:

That stuff is poison.  It kills.

It's what we do with it that kills.

RabidMongoose
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

What is going on here is healthy people are taxed because obese people cannot practice some self-restraint.

Its a violation of peoples rights. Why not have all employers, the jobcentre, schools, and doctors, report fat people to the Government. Then fine them or in the case of kids fine the parents.

Make it a crime to be fat and make the punishment be time in prison until they are down to a normal weight. Leave the rest of us alone nanny state.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Haha 1

Captain Risky
5 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

too right. getting back on to sugar cubes, i think its easier to portion control cubes than in dealing teaspoons or grams. 

• Like 1

Captain Risky
4 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

What is going on here is healthy people are taxed because obese people cannot practice some self-restraint.

Its a violation of peoples rights. Why not have all employers, the jobcentre, schools, and doctors, report fat people to the Government. Then fine them or in the case of kids fine the parents.

so by that rational...lets legalise cocaine and heroin, too.  

RabidMongoose
1 minute ago, Captain Risky said:

too right. getting back on to sugar cubes, i think its easier to portion control cubes than in dealing teaspoons or grams. 

Wait until they try to reduce the sugar in sugar coke.

Thats going to be like trying to take cocaine away from an drug addict.

• Haha 1

RabidMongoose
Just now, Captain Risky said:

so by that rational...lets legalise cocaine and heroin, too.  

What do you propose?

All drugs are legal but we makes those who misuse them criminals? I agree.

Captain Risky
Just now, RabidMongoose said:

Wait until they try to reduce the sugar in sugar coke.

Thats going to be like trying to take cocaine away from an drug addict.

you ever do a no sugar day? i have. give it a go and by lunch time you'll get a headache. 

Captain Risky

What do you propose?

All drugs are legal but we makes those who misuse them criminals? I agree.

LOL. no thats not what I'm saying. I'm saying that there's a reason while the unit of measurement for any dangerous substance is always the criminals and those that can't control themselves for the simple reason that they're the majority in any given society. 

Farmer77
Just now, Captain Risky said:

you ever do a no sugar day? i have. give it a go and by lunch time you'll get a headache. 

What do you mean by no sugar? Nothing with added sugars or no sugar or anything that will turn to sugar at all - breads fruits etc?

• Like 1

RabidMongoose
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

The first time I trimmed down I went to the gym for three months and ate two meals per day. No problem, it was a breeze for those 3 months.

The last time instead of cutting out a meal I just cut out the sugar. Boy was that hard and I have to admit to having weird thoughts doing that after just four days. For instance I`d walk past a dog and find myself gazing at it strangely with a real hard urge to go over and eat it. I found myself having heavy breathing, a racing heart, and overwhelming urge to eat that poor dog.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Haha 2

Captain Risky
1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

What do you mean by no sugar? Nothing with added sugars or no sugar or anything that will turn to sugar at all - breads fruits etc?

nah man. i mean no sugar thats added to anything. if a product has added sugar avoid it. no sugar in coffee, no soft drinks etc

• Like 1

Captain Risky

The first time I trimmed down I went to the gym for three months and ate two meals per day. No problem, it was a breeze for those 3 months.

The last time instead of cutting out a meal I just cut out the sugar. Boy was that hard and I have to admit to having weird thoughts doing that after just four days. For instance I`d walk past a dog and find myself gazing at it strangely with a real hard urge not to go over and eat it. I found myself having heavy breathing, a racing heart, and overwhelming urge to eat.

LOL i don't think that was the sugar mate...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

RabidMongoose
4 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

LOL. no thats not what I'm saying. I'm saying that there's a reason while the unit of measurement for any dangerous substance is always the criminals and those that can't control themselves for the simple reason that they're the majority in any given society. 

Lets make everything legal.

But for those who violate the rights of others without their consent then they go to prison. For those who over indulgence in food, drugs, alcohol, gambling, shopping, and many more, lets criminalise them. Give them prison sentences for it then the rest of us can enjoy total freedom responsibly.

• Haha 2

Captain Risky
Just now, RabidMongoose said:

Lets make everything legal.

But for those who violate the rights of others without their consent then they go to prison. For those who over indulgence in food, drugs, alcohol, gambling, shopping, and many more, lets criminalise them. Give them prison sentences for it then the rest of us can enjoy total freedom responsibly.

sounds like the Aztecs. 

• Haha 2

Farmer77
7 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

nah man. i mean no sugar thats added to anything. if a product has added sugar avoid it. no sugar in coffee, no soft drinks etc

gotcha. I've lowered my sugar intake a ton over the last year or so (ok well its been a bit of a binge over the holidays), my biggest problem was sugary drinks.  I went from at least 3 monsters a day to none and dropped 35lbs in 3 months.

toast

1 liter of (standard) Coca-Cola contains the equivalent of 28 sugar cubes. Adiposis olé!

• Thanks 1