Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysterious Aquatic Monsters of South America

rashore

It seems that wherever one goes on this water-filled planet of ours one is bound to find lakes and other bodies of water, and wherever that may be there are often tales of lake monsters and other denizens of the depths to go with it all. Of course the rock star of such creatures is the Loch Ness Monster of Scotland, but this barely even scratches the surface of such oddities, and tucked away within every corner of the globe are such mysteries. South America certainly has its share of these, and from lake monsters to mermen, to other oddities, there is no end to the strange creatures that supposedly call this place home.

By far one of the most well-known and “mainstream” of South America’s lake monsters is said to prowl the depths of Nahuel Huapi Lake, in Patagonia, Argentina, which is a glacial lake that covers approximately 340 sq. miles of rough terrain at the foot of the Patagonian mountains. The creature in question has affectionately been nicknamed Nahuelito, has been described somewhat differently by different witnesses. In some accounts it is a huge, plesiosaur-like creature with a long neck and flippers, in others it is more serpentine in nature, with humps and fish-like fins, and estimated as being anywhere from 15 to 150 feet long. Whatever the case may be, it always surfaces with a swell and surge of water, and it seems something very strange is inhabiting this remote lake indeed.

https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2018/12/mysterious-aquatic-monsters-of-south-america/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

This is a job for Jeremy Wade.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Very interesting read! Thanx

• Like 1

Interesting read but we see that the only actual photo is one that has all of the red flags associated with hoaxes.

The best photographic “evidence” comes from as recently as April of 2006, when an anonymous man dropped off some photos of the alleged creature along with a note that read “This is not a wave. Nahuelito showed his face.” The photos themselves show what appears to be a reptilian head poking above the water, but the pics have widely been denounced as a hoax.

• The person is anonymous.
  • The photo is up close and clear

Here are other photos

http://patagoniamonsters.blogspot.com/2011/10/my-photos-of-nahuelito.html

The same blogger has looked into the creature and reports as follows:

http://patagoniamonsters.blogspot.com/2009/09/nahyuelito-hide.html

Oddly enough here are photos from that anonymous photographer and they do not match the other article.

https://cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/nahuelito-pix/

Here is another article that contains many statements that the blogger researched and labeled as false.

http://s8int.com/dino29.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Im a big advocate that its very likely there are still a myriad of undiscovered lake and sea creatures waiting to be discovered, i do not believe any are a plesiosaur for all kinds of great reasons, i believe anything large is going to be very few and far between again for obvious reasons,

When i was younger the first snakehead i caught i was sure was a crypto creature same with mudfish, but both very common to florida.

6 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

Looks more like a cartoon character than a real animal.

It does indeed!    That's the intrigue

1 minute ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

It does indeed!    That's the intrigue

I'd say more "hoax" than "intrigue". :lol:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Carnoferox said:

I'd say more "hoax" than "intrigue". :lol:

It's possible, of course, Carn but I wouldn't know.

I just like cool pics :--)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Anything that breathes air has to be on the surface fairly often.  The % chance of being seen goes up greatly.  

Well yeah, a big hurdle true believers like to ignore, then add in a number of creatures to support breeding % of spotting again goes up

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Anything that breathes air has to be on the surface fairly often.  The % chance of being seen goes up greatly.  

The existence of lake monsters in lakes that freeze completely over in winter does not deter people from proposing air breathing creatures.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, stereologist said:

The existence of lake monsters in lakes that freeze completely over in winter does not deter people from proposing air breathing creatures.

Sure makes it more likely to be a big fish.  Just my own bet, probably a known species too, not a mysterious new piscine nightmare.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Sure makes it more likely to be a big fish.  Just my own bet, probably a known species too, not a mysterious new piscine nightmare.

In the case of Champlain, he does not report a monster in  his log. He reports a large fish.

• Like 1

When we get past attention junkies like sandra mansi, her picture could have been a log, a bird, etc but proved zero and under closer examination her story was shady to say the least.

Then a lot of noise from dennis Hall who also doesnt stand up well to close inspection, the rest could easily be contagious sightings and hype for tourism.

I was under the impression that lake Champlain creature if we call of that was likely a large sturgeon or gar and things like footprings belonged to turtles if made by a creature.

• Like 1