Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Beliefs in the other side

docyabut2

I am a skeptic of the ancient  oracles , mediums, psychics,  clairvoyance`s and glass ball tellers,  that do it just for the money. But I had a old minister that baptized and married me that in his lifetime  passed away years ago wrote a book( Hi katy! this is  me...)   to  a person from the other side :rolleyes:     

Edited by docyabut2
  • Confused 1

Just now, docyabut2 said:

life after death:(

Doesn't exist. The only thing left of anyone is a memory. Even that will fade.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

"The evil that men do lives long after them. The good is oft interred with their bones." - Billy Shakestick

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

life after death:(

I don't care if there is a 'life' after this one. I try to do what's right in this life without promise of a reward in another.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

never really know in life :)

1 minute ago, Likely Guy said:

I don't care if there is a 'life' after this one. I try to do what's right in this life without promise of a reward in another.

find this book and then decide :) just like me

2 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

find this book and then decide :) just like me

Rarer than hen's teeth. Maybe you could link to a synopsis?

5 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

:) just like me

Oh, I do like you. Sometimes I worry for you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

why spend it worrying about it.

People, towards the end of their life cycle (that have that bent), worry about it.

It's natural, but nothing you nor I will ever give a second thought to.

3 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Oh, I do like you. Sometimes I worry for you.

well I do getting close to death:(

• Sad 1

What is this fascinated obsession with life after death? 

Why do so many people believe that life is just a way station on the road to some eternal paradise?

I just don't get it.

If, for one moment, you can imagine that this one life is all you get, wouldn't be better to make this one opportunity to be the best you can be matter more than some unproven fantasy?

Doesn't it make much more sense to enjoy what you know you have, than to dream about what might be waiting?

I mean, if you strive to be the best 'you' you can attain in life, then, IF there is an afterlife, it is icing on the cake. But, if there is only one shot, and you have wasted it trying to appease some imagined deity, then you have squandered the gift of life.

Edited by Jodie.Lynne
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

People, towards the end of their life cycle (that have that bent), worry about it.

It's natural, but nothing you nor I will ever give a second thought to.

I already know where I'm going. One day my ashes will drift among the stars. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

What is this fascinated obsession with life after death? 

Why do so many people believe that life is just a way station on the road to some eternal paradise?

I just don't get it.

If, for one moment, you can imagine that this one life is all you get, wouldn't be better to make this one opportunity to be the best you can be matter more than some unproven fantasy?

Doesn't it make much more sense to enjoy what you know you have, than to dream about what might be waiting?

I mean, if you strive to be the best 'you' you can attain in life, then, IF there is an afterlife, it is icing on the cake. But, if there is only one shot, and you have wasted it trying to appease some imagined deity, then you have squandered the gift of life.

They fear death and out of that fear, the fear of the great unknown. They create story's to calm them, maybe inspire hope. It's a way of handling existential dread.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

I will be furious if i die only to wake up in some sort of after life

We all know that you'll be reincarnated.:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

I mean, if you strive to be the best 'you' you can attain in life...

Some very vile people throughout history thought they did just that.

When I die, I hope that it's other people's opinion of me that will matter the most.

Just now, XenoFish said:

They fear death and out of that fear, the fear of the great unknown. They create story's to calm them, maybe inspire hope. It's a way of handling existential dread.

But it isn't handling it, it is a false premise that, in my opinion, does more harm than good.

I mean, why bother to try to preserve the planet? Once I'm dead I'll be in an eternal paradise! So what if we drive a 1,000 species to extinction, God loves me! Pollution? forget about it! In heaven, 12 cylinder gas guzzlers run on unicorn farts! Children starving to death? So what, they will be sweet little angels sooner than the rest of us. You should envy them. 

The above, for the sarcastically challenged, is indeed sarcasm.

• Haha 3

I have always felt that an afterlife cheapens this life. If we are going to spend eternity licking the boots of one god or the other, or burning for eternity wishing we could lick Gods Boots then this life seems pretty pointless. I feel that the fleetingness and fragility of life is what makes it beautiful and amazing. 

Inevitably pointless. But momentarily breathtaking at the least.

Thinking that we have a special place to go to after we die seems deluded more than anything. I see no evidence to suggest we are more special than any other animal or plant or even the average rock.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1